Loading the 9x18mm w/ Luger brass

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
forcefed

Re: Loading the 9x18mm w/ Luger brass

Post by forcefed »

Trimming down 9mm cases hasn't failed me yet. I set up the end mill at work to trim all me cases. I can do 350 9x19 to 9x18 in an hour and a half. .223 is even faster :)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

.223 cases, really? I don't shoot that caliber, but it's nice to know if they'll work. I was looking at the dimensions of the different cases.

9mm Mak
Rim - 0.390
Web - 0.390
Mouth - 0.388

9mm Luger
Rim - 0.392
Web - 0.387
Mouth - 0.375

.223 Rem
Rim - 0.378
Web - 0.376
Mouth - Unknown since I don't know the diameter at the 18mm mark.

So, the .223 would be a bit slender, I guess it could form, I wonder how much that would stretch the brass in order to fit the chamber. Anyway, I guess someone could buy one of those mini-chop saws from Harbor Freight and chop them down to almost the right length, and then finish them on a hand lathe if they didn't have a quicker way to do it. Some folks may have an abundance of .223 brass.

Mini Chop Saw - http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top- ... 42307.html
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

LOL! I am sorry. I didn't mean to say I use .223 brass for cutting down and using it as 9x18. I was just saying I trim my .223 stuff on the endmill to length for shooting in my AR and my bolt guns. :D
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

This is a directory of cartridge dimensions. Kind of nice to have accessible even though you can go on Google and type in whatever the cartridge is and the word "dimensions" after it and you can find images. 9x18mm is not included in this directory though. - http://www.madmick3006.com/AHN/Handload ... imensions/
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

forcefed wrote:LOL! I am sorry. I didn't mean to say I use .223 brass for cutting down and using it as 9x18. I was just saying I trim my .223 stuff on the endmill to length for shooting in my AR and my bolt guns. :D
LOL!!! :lol: My mind comprehended: 'a half .223 is even faster' not that you said it took you an hour and a half to do 350 9x19 cases. I was really puzzled.
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

Yeah that wouldn't make much sense haha

"So I can trim 1mm off this 9mm case, or I can cut this .223 cartridge in half and trim it down... Yep the .223 way has to be faster!"

But yeah try cutting some 9mm down. Like I said it hasn't failed me yet. I haven't loaded a ton of stuff for my P64 but the stuff I have loaded up goes bang when I put my booger hook on the bang switch
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm really looking forward to it. I bought 250 Berry's plated bullets for 9mm Mak. I will be going to MidwayUSA here in the next two weeks, so I'm going to pick up a 9mm Mak Lee die set as well as a 9mm Mak Lee case length gage for my trimmer. Hopefully I'll have some loaded up in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I'll try to load all 200 of my Federal cases so I'll have plenty of 9mm Mak on hand for my blasting habits ;)!
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Why, that's certainly a good deal $85 for the whole deal and he pays the shipping. I'd consider it, but I better not test my wife's patience. HA-HA. I've already bought so much random reloading stuff and bless her heart, she didn't mind too much. She teases me all the time and says "When is it going to start saving you money?" By now, I don't care much about the "saving money" part, but I do enjoy it just as a hobby and something to pass away the time. Maybe another member will take that feller up on his offer. Thanks for sharing forcefed.
dwd

Post by dwd »

Thanks for the heads-up on the press, dies, and bullets. I bought them, I thought they were a bargain.
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

Good for you! Glad I could help!
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

OK when trimming your brass how do you mark it to tell the difference from all the other brass? I have been thinking of putting 50 at a time in an empty plastic holder you get with a box of ammo and putting down a light cote of red spray paint on the head stamp. What do you guys do?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

surfzombie

I don't mark my brass. try running a 9X18 fried brass in a 9mm die or a 380 die, you will find out real quick witch is witch ,

Norm
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

I use a red permanent marker, won't change headspace.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

surfzombie, some folks use nail polish, permanent marker, or the Birchwood-Casey brass black solution. I'd probably opt for the brass black as I could put some on a rag and rub the case heads on the rag.