Report - 93 Cast Loads and Bullseye

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
kragluver

Report - 93 Cast Loads and Bullseye

Post by kragluver »

I worked up a load for my P64 using Bullseye and the 93 gr LRN Meister cast bullet. I varied charge weight from 2.8 gr to 3.3 gr going in 0.1 gr increments and compared group size against Silver Bear factory ammo. I also intended to compare muzzle velocity - unfortunately, my chrono did not accurately record very many velocities due to poor sun angle.

I found the most accurate loads were with 2.9 gr and 3.1 gr charge weights. I did not get a good velocity on the 2.9 gr. The 3.1 gr load averaged 890 fps. Both 5-shot groups fell into 1.5" at 15 yards with the pistol shot from a sandbag rest. All shots were single action.

The Silver Bear factory ammo grouped within 1.5" with a MV of 950 fps.

I ended up shooting 11 rds of 3.1 gr loads (all I had) and they resulted in a very nice group. All of the 3.1gr rounds fell within 2". While the MV is a bit lower than factory, group size was very nice. The 3.2 and 3.3 gr groups opened up with the 3.3gr load stringing vertically (as did the 2.8 gr load).

I decided that the 3.1 gr load will be my go-to handload. Finally, I use Bullseye exclusively in my 45 ACP loads with excellent accuracy but I have found it to be a fairly dirty powder in the 45. Interestingly, it was very clean in the P64. There was very little powder residue left in the pistol after shooting 36 load development rounds.
surfzombie

Re: Report - 93 Cast Loads and Bullseye

Post by surfzombie »

I really like using Bullseye in my 9mm and my Makarov loads. I also like Acurate #5. I got my load data form here.

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/ma ... -lead.html

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/makarov/index.html
kragluver

Re: Report - 93 Cast Loads and Bullseye

Post by kragluver »

For anyone interested (although not a 9x18 Mak load), I also worked up a load for my wife's Bersa 380CC. I found that the 92 gr Meister over 2.9 gr of Bullseye with WSP primers worked well. I did not have my chrony with me yesterday, but groups at 15 ft were on the order of 1.5" off a sandbag rest. This will make a good practice load.