.410 Shotgun Reloading?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

.410 Shotgun Reloading?

Post by juniustaylor »

Is it worth it? Does anyone on here reload .410 shotgun shells? I am really considering buying the equipment and supplies, but I'm just doing a lot of thinking. I probably would shoot my old New Haven bolt action if I could afford to buy/make the darn things cheaper than I can buy them. I figured up the cost and it would be about $4 to make a box of them. Compared to the $11+ to buy them, I think that's a considerable savings. Any input/advice is welcomed. Thanks - Junius
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: .410 Shotgun Reloading?

Post by normsutton »

juniustaylor
I used to 12 gag shot gun , shot gun reloading is deferent than loading pistol or rifle ammo, some say its a lot easer than loading pistol or rifle ammo , with shot gun loading its a little like loading the 577/450 martini henry round , you get a formula and stay with it, you can put so much powder a wad , shot in and it has to be the right length for the case you can't have any air space , and you can't under charge or over charge the case , do not mix formulas ether

I think LEE makes a cheap reloader for shot gun shell, I had friend that use to load 20 gag on one of them
the production is very low with the LEE
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I've done shotgun in the past 12 and 20 gauge. I've used the Lee Load-All presses. They are okay with what they are, but I do prefer the heavy MEC presses. 12 and 20 gauge is not very cost effective when you can buy them for $5 a box a Wal-Mart. As far as production, for the most part I've got nothing but time. I don't go to parties, I don't watch television, so that frees my time up for other things that I can do. My dad did a lot of shotgun reloading in the past, I may also consult his opinion. Thanks for the reply Norm.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Junius

when I was reloading 12 gage . wish I had bought a MEC, I bought a Hornady press ,live and lean,

I think all reloading is good , it may not be cheaper in some cases, but very rewarding , I have reloading components for just about ever thing I shoot except for the 22 RF. 25 auto & 32 auto, in fact before I Buy a defferant cal. gun or rifle I buy the components to shot it, don't really trust factory ammo that much, but that's just me

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I still reload a little 12 and 20 but only higher end rounds. The 410 is much better economically to do and makes shooting 410 much more enjoyable. Since I have been reloading shotgun rounds for more than 25 years I have managed to collect some nice reloaders. The mec progressives make fast quality work of reloading. The single stage presses are nice if you want to make custom rounds but spend the extra cash and go progressive if it is something you plan on doing. Keep an eye out on the auction sites and sites similar to craigslist. You can find 410 reloading items there at reasonable prices if you are patient.
reloading has been a fun hobby and a hobby which actually saves me money, unlike some of my other hobbies. It is getting more difficult to find larger quantities of good powder and primers but most shops carry the one pound cannisters of powder.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I will still keep my eye out, but for now I've decided it's practically more cost effective to just buy 25 boxes of .410 ammunition. The $300 I spent on those 625 rounds will probably outlast me as I doubt I could possibly shoot them all up in my lifetime. You never know. However, if I find a good deal then I'd consider it. About one of the only things a .410 is useful for is for pest removal purposes but a .22 LR will remedy it just as well and cheaper. I do have fond memories of squirrel and rabbit hunting with that shotgun.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I use my 410's for everything except waterfowl. It has been sad to see the decline in the use of 410 in the field. Too many new hunters want the newest baddest 12ga using 3 1/2 shells to shoot dove and quail. Last year on opening day I took my limit (10) doves in just 8 minutes with my 410 O/U. The rest of my group took well over a half hour to do the same, really annoyed them. I had to ask which one of us spent more on shells, me at less than a box or those who shot up 3 boxes of 12ga. Sometimes you just have to look at the bottom line to see which is actually cheaper.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That's a good story 6x6. An O/U .410 would certainly be a nice shotgun. I had thought about one of those Stoeger Condors. Probably never get one though. Otherwise I do like the little Mossberg pump ones, however, I think my New Haven/Mossberg 283 is good enough. I would like to try it with dove/quail. I'm sure it's quite a challenge since you're only throwing about 1/2 oz of shot.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

6x6
That's good shooting against doves. But, a .410 in a defense load doesn't pan out. I'd like to refer you to a web site called 'The Box of Truth' it's very informative, of course if you're like me and I suspect many of the others on this board, we'll have to check it out for ourselves. There is a new load out there and I can't remember who makes it. It's a 3" loaded with what looks like copper watch batteries, supposed to be designed for the Taurus 'Judge'. I'd be interested too see how it pans out.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Junius, Yes the Condor looks pretty good. I'm interested,but would like to ask someone who has one. Me, I like youth model 20 ga pumps. I now have two, a Mossberg, and a Remington 870. I bought the Mossberg this week end. I actually prefer it to the 870, both are quick handling though. Thinking of ordering the slug barrel for the Mossberg. The 870 is my wife's.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I also have seen the Judge ammo advertised but have no experience with it. I have however shot regular 410 through a thompson contender and that is pretty much worthless. People seem to forget that the shotgun rounds and rifles for that matter are designed to burn in longer barrels and loose alot of their efficiency in sub 18" barrels. I have seen the page referenced and have to laugh every time I see it. Take a 410 in an 18" barrel out even with #9 shot and see what it does against something as solid as a 2x4 (much tougher than human skin). Of course a handgun for home defense is my preferred option.
My wife, and when my kids were younger, really liked the youth/ladies 20ga pump for hunting. My boy now uses my 12ga O/U and my daughter has moved on to a 20ga auto.
I have never tried reloading exotic 410 ammo but I imagine it would not do as well as the 12ga exotics.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I ended up finding someone on the internet that had one of those old Lee Classic loaders for 2.5" .410 shotgun shells. $30 + shipping. So, I'm currently waiting on that to come in the mail. I don't plan to make .410 a serious reloading ordeal, just something on the side if I come up with some shot and wads for cheap somewhere. I suppose I could always try making some shot. Seems straightforward - pour molten lead through a screen into a bucket of water. Only takes 1/2 oz of lead for a .410, not a whole lot. I just have to find some scrap lead somewhere that I can melt down in my pot.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I have had good luck with reclaimed lead from the trap/skeet ranges, when they would have it. I also watch the local ads and craigslist for people who have lead locally and want to get rid of it. Around here $25 - $30 a 25# bag is what I can expect to pay when I find someone trying to get rid of it. For general hunting in my 410 loads I prefer a blend of 4 thru 7.5 shot, seems to be very effective on dove, quail, rabbit and squirrel.