116gr Loads

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
fknipfer1

116gr Loads

Post by fknipfer1 »

WWW.rimrockbullets.net sells 116gr PH 9X18 Mak for $49.95 per 500ea. I would assume these are for defensive purposes. Buffalo Bore is now selling 115gr LFN 9x18 Mak's for around $24.00 per 20ea and I assume these also are for defensive purposes. Buffalo Bore did all the testing in a 4" E. German Makrov, they selected the best to start with. They rate the load at 1000fps and 255 Lbs ME. Pretty stout load its about 1/2 way between .380 and a 9mm Luger.

I would think you would want about as heavy a recoil spring in your pistol as you can buy to lessen wear on you pistol. It takes it out of the smaller pistol class and moves it up to the medimum pistol class. I would think a guy would do his range shooting with 95grs and just use the 115grs for defensive purpose that way you don't wear you gun out. Nice thing about a lead bullet it doesn't have to flare out it just flattens out and doesn't come apart.

I probably not fire it out of a P64 as I am a little recoil sensitive. I know we have naysayers here that say no no no don't shoot 115gr out of the Makarov but the Russians have been doing it for a long time, special force troops, high risk police etc. etc.
You have to see what value you put on your life and the lives of your family and if that is all you have use the best and hard hitting round you can.

fknipfer1
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: 116gr Loads

Post by normsutton »

fknipfer1

maybe in a Makrov but not in a P-64 or a PA-63 and maybe not in a CZ-82
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I think your right but I'm not sure about the P-83 if you brought the loads up slow. Pretty heavy pistol. But I believe it would need a heavier recoil spring though.
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Just checked with Buffalo Bore and they did test the CZ-82 and recommends it for the 115gr Mak round. I just bought 40rds and will check them in my E.German Mak and chonograph the loads.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fknipfer1
chronograph all its going to tell you is how fast the bullet is, look at the case's and look for pressure sign's

that well tell you if its safe to shoot ,

fknipfer1 wrote:http://
no don't shoot 115gr out of the Makarov but the Russians have been doing it for a long time, special force troops, high risk police etc. etc.

fknipfer1
where did you get that info from , I have never seen any proof of it, sounds like an urban legend

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Norm,
I've been loading for a long time maybe even longer than you, you think I am not smart enough to look at primers and cases. The idea of a chonograph is to start low, shoot a round look at the case and primer record speed and data, if everything is ok then you go up may a tenth or two and shoot again and record the speed and case inspection. When I reach a point where there appears to be primers coming out cases starting to expand or anything at all that looks different then you stop. What you need to do is to give positive advice and not be so negative all the time. Warnings are ok and I have seen it. I have been loading for over 50yrs and haven't blown myself up as yet. But there is always a first time.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fknipfer1

sorry if you felted insulted , I have no way of know how long you have been reloading, you could of started last week I don't know. you want to call it negative , I call it concerning, we have a people out there that don't know any about pressure sign's and are new to reloading,
fknipfer1 wrote: I just bought 40rds and will check them in my E.German Mak and chonograph the loads.

fknipfer1
you never said that you'd be reloading these , I just assumed that you bought loaded rounds , and sorry about that I don't like assuming anything my fault, but still interested in the pressure sign's, and pix would help and all your findings, and loading data

thanks
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Norm,
Will publish all data and pictures for this forums viewing when I get finished.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mikana

Post by mikana »

So... What's the verdict Norm?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

mikana

read my post in the other forum, I still don't think you should shoot it in a P-64 or a PA-63 for the reason the bullet looks to long to feed reliable in these 2 guns, do like the bullet deign don't like the weight, I don't like the weight in the one that lee RN mould throws out ether, but I shoot them with a moderate load,of 4 grns of W231 and carry them , in a Mak or a CZ-82 fine to shoot there are more parts for these guns out than the P-64 & the PA-63

ask NB on the other forum if he would shoot it in a P-64 or a Pa-63 , I know NB and I'll go with want he says , I trust NB

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

I have started up the long hill with my 116gr loads. BB's loads were .950 COL and I used .970 just to start, didn't want any high pressures. I loaded up 10 rds of 2.8grs of Unique and shot 730fps ME with no brass or primer problems. The rounds feed and ejected fine in my E-Ger Mak my next loads will be 3.0 and 3.2 got to go slow and carefully. I don't feel these lower loads will cause any problems but don't want to bypass the correct way of creating a new load.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

fknipfer1,
I have tried loading 115gr. fmj with no luck, to much taper to the 9x19 bullet.
Are the 116 gr bullets lrn, fmj., lead swc. or wc. in construction?
GR.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 18th, 2010, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

The rounds are 116gr LFN and feed pretty well at .970 COL. I have just started the process of finding a load for them. I tried 2.8grs of Unique and it shot right at 730fps. I have put the heavy spring in the Makarov and it ejected ok with the light loads. I am going slowly up the scale to about 3.8grs before I stop and make a real good evaluation. My next load to try is 3.0grs of Unique and it that is ok I will try 3.2 etc. etc. until I find the spot I need to stop.
I bought 500 cast rounds from Rimrock.com for right at $59.00. Anyway if you have any good luck or loads let me know. The cast rounds fired just fine.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

fknipfer1, any new information regarding the 116 gr. bullets?
G.R.