What is your favorite 38 sp. short barrel reload?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

What is your favorite 38 sp. short barrel reload?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

What is your favorite 38 sp. reload formula for short barreled revolvers?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 25th, 2010, 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rottenrick

Re: What is your favorite 38 sp. short barrel load?

Post by rottenrick »

I use standard JHP's (Silver tips) in both my .38's. One is S&W 642 I got for my wife, she doesn't like it. She prefers my 3" Rossi. She does fine with revolvers, doesn't complain about silver tips. Since you reload you'll have quite a few more options. Since I cruise shops for ammo,kind'a a hobby now (keeps me out of the bars). There is not a whole bunch of self defense stuff out there. Sure if you're packing weird stuff like .357 sig, or GAP .45, .25 acp I don't know of anyone whos uses that stuff. I will say .22 LR is now starting to show up now, there was none to be had for a long while. Bought three bricks the other day from a local, just to have it.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: What is your favorite 38 sp. short barrel load?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Rottenrick, I load 158gr. moly coated lead, powered up by 2.5 gr.'s of Hodgden Clays for target shooting, very slow, light recoil and very accurate out of 1.78" or 2" barrel.
The same load in .357 delivers a touch more kick and the accuracy is still A+. Just a fun inexpensive range load that amazes the fellows you shoot with who think that short barreled revolvers are not accurate.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: What is your favorite 38 sp. short barrel reload?

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

I'm no expert on reloading, but I came up with a load for my snubbies for HD that I really like. I use a 148gr LSWC backed up with 3.7gr of W 231, w/ Winchester primer and at 7 yds for me its very accurate. For target and plinking I use 125gr Sierra JHP with 5.5 gr of Unique w/Winchester primer, at 10 yards for me very accurate.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I just picked up a new Taurus 856 Hy-Lite Magnesium revolver, a six round "J" frame that ways in right at 13.2 oz. empty. Taurus says no +P loads and nothing over 770 fps. so I loaded up 3.6 gr. of Accurate #2 with 158 gr. moly coated lead RNFP bullets from Bear Creek. I used Wolf primers with Star Line .38 sp +P cartridges. According to the Accurate reload data center this load generates 764 fps and 212 foot pounds of muzzel energy. Accuracy is excellant at fifty feet, everything center mass. The pistol is going to have the trigger smoothed up and the cylinders honed, the cartridge casing don't want to fall out, they need a nudge as it is.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, Papa and the rest of you fellows that reload, do you chrono your loads and if so who's chronograph do you use. The problem I have with most reloads that I research is that there is no mention about the length of the test barrels and it is a guess for me if the loads are actually as hot or as slow as stated by the powder manufacturers.
G.R

P.S.
What happened to the spell check?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

I don't have a chrono, I just have to experiment with each gun and go from there, however, I am looking and asking questions at the range from those that do have them.

As for spell check, good question, I will have to ask DF about that.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G.R

I have never chrono any of my loads , just gone by the book, its close enough for me ,I'm to cheap to ever buy one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I think a chronograph will be my next investment, I have the feeling that most of my reloads are woefully under powerd. Using moly coated lead bullets you don't feel recoil the way you do with copper jacketed bullets or regular lead bullets, the molly really smooths everything out nicely. How ever, I have the feeling that the recoil is not dampened as much as I preceive, ergo the loads are not as powerfull as they could be. I guess this will be the next evolution for me and I'm looking foreword to it, another toy that is not a gun that my wife can't complain about. :)
G.R.
Redbeard

Post by Redbeard »

My Wife also likes to shoot and 38spl. is her favorite .
I use a 158 grn. SWC with 3.3 grns of Bullseye power .
This is a very accurate Load a little dirty so bring a rag to wipe guns down .
She used to take my Model 65 and use it till I bought her a Model 64.
So that I could to shoot my on gun once in a while.
Did I mention that she out shoots most of the men at the range?
I don't make her mad at me .
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Distaffers are great range partners when you can talk them into getting started. My wife was my favorite fishing partner untill we got married and she used to love to go shooting with me before we got married too.
Gee, I wonder what happened that caused her to loose interest? :roll:
G.R.
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

my favorite load for the S&W 638 1 7/8" bbl

any 38 spl. cases
SP primer
4.2 gr B'eye powder lyman book max load not +p
Lee 158 cast RFN in #2 alloy sized .358"
Lube Homemade, dusted with powdered mica from Midway USA
seat bullet to crimp groove
crimp hard with Lee factory crimp die

Comments. About 800 fps out of the 638, and has a good push on the hand,but not abusive'
This load penetrated a full gallon jug of water at 10 yards, blew the back and sides out, and then penetrated threw a 2" maple board and buried itself in a block of oak to the base of the bullet. This load is not +p ,but hits like a hammer. the bullet was undamaged, except for the nose of the bullet being rounded over. This bullet is very accurate out of my guns and I'm going to load it in my .357 mags to about 1200 or so fps. in 4" bbl. at 1200 fps this should be an excellent load for game that hunts back. Please always start your loads low and work up, all guns are not the same.

Ron
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

ramiriz60,
OK, I know I'm going to look very silly to you and the other reloaders here at the forum, but' what is " B'eye powder" ?
I'm a newbee at reloading and I've never heard of the product/brand name, fill me in please, inquiering minds need to know.
G.R.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm sure he's talking about Alliant brand "Bullseye". It's common with .38 Spl loads but I'm sure it works in about everything else though.
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Very nice report ramiriz60.

I recently bought one of the RCBS chronographs. Works well for the price. This is my first chronograph. I have chronographed a few factory .44 mag rounds and some .44 Mag handloads out of 4" and 2½" revolver.

My next project is to chronograph some handloads that my P64 loves and some .38 special loads out of a 2" revolver.

wyo-man