Whats your favorite load for the 44 sp.?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Whats your favorite load for the 44 sp.?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I've been fooling around with different loads for my 44sp. and to date I haven't found a very accurate load for my Rossi 44. I've tried several Hodgdon powders, Winchester #231 and accurate #2 and none of the loads deliver very good accuracy. I've tried speeding them up and slowing them down with no real difference in results. I've been loading Barrys 240 gr. JHP and will try Bear Creek molly coated lead next. Store bought ammo is accurate so the problem lies with my reloads.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 10th, 2010, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Whats your favorite load for the 44 sp.?

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

the 240 grn bullet might be a little heavy for the 44 sp.
try this load 11 grn of 2400 behind a 200 grn bullet this is not a hot load

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks NORM, you always come through, really appreciated.
G.R.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Gunny,

The most accurate I've tried is Winchester 200gr. 'Silver tips', next is the Blazer. The worst I've tried is the PMC 240 gr. flat nose, it's so slow you could almost duck it. The silver tips recoil is also not as great with the 200gr. They also have the cowboy loads too. If you could duplicate the silver tips. But, my 3" BULLDOG a lot lighter than your Rossi I think
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'm not fond of PMC ammo, it does not work well for me in any of my weapons.
I picked up some Hodgdon Trail Boss yesterday to see if it wil give me better results.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

gunneyrabbit wrote:I've been fooling around with different loads for my 44sp. and to date I haven't found a very accurate load for my Rossi 44. I've tried several Hodgdon powders, Winchester #231 and accurate #2 and none of the loads deliver very good accuracy. I've tried speeding them up and slowing them down with no real difference in results. I've been loading Barrys 240 gr. JHP and will try Bear Creek molly coated lead next. Store bought ammo is accurate so the problem lies with my reloads.
Any help at all would be appreciated.

I'm not real sure how I did that?
G.R.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

5.2 gr's of Hodgden Trail Boss seems to give me good groups but they are still hitting six inches high of my point of aim. I've ordered some Bear Creek 185 gr. lead RNFP bullets and I hope my point of aim and hits come together.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

Not sure how I missed this thread back in Apri,l the 44 special is one of my favorite rounds, besides the.45acp and 45LC. I have two favorite loads for the 44 special, took me awhile to find the sweet spot for both guns but from 7-10 yards these loads work best for me. I only have two revolvers I shoot in 44 special.

Ruger Vaquero 44mag 4 5/8" bbl;
200gr RNFP - Missouri Bullet Co.
11.5 gr 2400
Winchester LP primers

Taurus 941 2 1/2" bbl:
200gr RNFP - Missouri Bullet Co.
7.0 gr Unique
Winchester LP pirmers

DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

.44Sp - 4.9gr Win231 w/ 240gr SWC or RNFP. This is Winchester's listed Cowboy load and what I shoot mostly. I avg. ~700fps out of Cimarron Thunderer 4 5/8" and Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2" barrels, 860fps from a 16" barrel. Certainly more than accurate enough for ringing steel targets in CAS.

NRA Life Member

gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Papabear, I really like the Taurus, good looking gun and they make a great product. The 185gr. bullets I ordered have not arrived yet, seems like every one has found out about Moly coated bullets and they are getting harder to purchase. Thanks to both you and DocCasualty or your load information, every little bit helps.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

papabear, do you have any problems with the new unique powder leaving more carbon residue than other powders, I've heard good things about it but I really don't want to mess around with any more dirty gun powders when there are such good quality clean products on the market now. I've always wanted to try unique products but have shied away from it because of the things I've heard from others in the past.
Please let me know your thoughts.
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

the old unique powder was very dirty , no so much with the new , you do clean your guns after you shoot them don't you and your you brass,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

gunney,

I have go along with Norm about the old and new Unique, I have used both and the new Unique is cleaner. I was at the range yesterday and shooting my Ruger Security Six .357 and the carbon residue on the case from Win 231 was worse. The date on my Unique 1 lb containers is April 2009, I'm not sure when Alliant changed to the new cleaner powder, I really like Unique in my handguns, I also use 2400 in some of my handguns.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm and papabear, thanks for the information, Winchester-231, Hodgdon-Trailboss and Accurate-#2 are the powders that I currently use or my handgun loads. If the Unique powder is cleaner than 231 Winchester I have just become a convert, I'll pick some up today at the Shooters Service Center here in Portland.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK guys, the 185gr. bullets from Bear Creek have arrived and I picked up some Unique powder to give it a try. I also plan on giving DocCasualties pet load a try, I have plenty of Winchester 231 on hand and would love it if it improved things. I won't get to the range until Friday so wish me luck.
G.R.