Bullet Lube and Sizer for Makarov

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
robalan

Bullet Lube and Sizer for Makarov

Post by robalan »

I have read that you must lube the cast bullets and it is a good idea to run them through a sizer. I understand the sizing is not mandatory, just recommended. I was able to find a Saeco sizer. It appears that you need a special Saeco sizer press in addition to the sizer. Are any of you running bullets through a sizer and if so have you found a cheaper outfit than the Saeco?

I did look at Lee Lube & Sizer sets and they seem to have low prices and it looks like they may even work in your bullet press unless I misunderstood. However, I could not find a set for the makarov.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Bullet Lube and Sizer for Makarov

Post by normsutton »

robalan

I use one of these , it will lube and size the bullet all in one you can even use it to seat gass checks , it will use RCBS sizing dies and LYMAN dies, top Punches work too,I bought mine 35 years ago and it was used then, ever once in a while EBAY has them

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... -sizer.php

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robalan

Post by robalan »

Thanks! I read somewhere the .363 could be used. That does not match up with the bullet size of .365, but I read in ABC's Of Reloading the bullet needs to be within .003. So it is within that range. I was having trouble finding it at Midway, but the site you listed had it. I will do a little looking around for a good price on the press too.

H&I Sizing Die .363 2766559 $27.50
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

robalan

.363 , is the size I use in my 9 x 18's, all MFS , Fiocchi,and S & B are .363 , the .365 don't function in some mags like the PA-63 and the P-64 very well some do, so I size mine to .363 it will work in all my 9 X18 guns

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
k31swiss

Post by k31swiss »

I use a Lyman sizer and a sizing die a friend had made and gave to me that is slightly large, about .370, so it barely sizes but applies lube well. Lee says you can shoot bullets from their molds unsized, just lubed. I have two bullets for the Mak that I run through this sizer and they shoot beautiful and do not lead at all, the Lee 365-95-1R and a custom one from a recent group buy on the Cast Boolit forum they are calling 365-95-TC, a truncated cone at 95 grains. Looks like a miniature version of Lee's 452-230-TC for .45 ACP.

You are better to shoot a larger lead bullet that a smaller. Best is about .001 larger than groove diameter. If you are under groove diameter, you can get flame cutting and lead the barrel.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

k31swiss wrote:I use a Lyman sizer and a sizing die a friend had made and gave to me that is slightly large, about .370, so it barely sizes but applies lube well. Lee says you can shoot bullets from their molds unsized, just lubed. I have two bullets for the Mak that I run through this sizer and they shoot beautiful and do not lead at all, the Lee 365-95-1R and a custom one from a recent group buy on the Cast Boolit forum they are calling 365-95-TC, a truncated cone at 95 grains. Looks like a miniature version of Lee's 452-230-TC for .45 ACP.

You are better to shoot a larger lead bullet that a smaller. Best is about .001 larger than groove diameter. If you are under groove diameter, you can get flame cutting and lead the barrel.
k31swiss

that's very true in a rifle or if you are going over a 1100 fps, but in a 4 in, barreled auto I get no leading in mine , even in my CZ-82 I get no leading, how does that over size bullet feed in a PA-63 or a P-64 I know it should work in a Mak, because the Mak mag's are wider not so with the PA-63 or the P-64, I love the design of the bullet, not the dia, and for Six Cavity lee mould is a waist of money (IMHO),when a double cavity is all I need

, what's the actual weight of that bullet, I shoot the same bullet design in my 45 auto and it weigh's out at 235,I also load it in my 45 long colt

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robalan

Post by robalan »

normsutton wrote:
k31swiss wrote:I use a Lyman sizer and a sizing die a friend had made and gave to me that is slightly large, about .370, so it barely sizes but applies lube well. Lee says you can shoot bullets from their molds unsized, just lubed. I have two bullets for the Mak that I run through this sizer and they shoot beautiful and do not lead at all, the Lee 365-95-1R and a custom one from a recent group buy on the Cast Boolit forum they are calling 365-95-TC, a truncated cone at 95 grains. Looks like a miniature version of Lee's 452-230-TC for .45 ACP.

k31swiss

that's very true in a rifle or if you are going over a 1100 fps, but in a 4 in, barreled auto I get no leading in mine , even in my CZ-82 I get no leading, how does that over size bullet feed in a PA-63 or a P-64 I know it should work in a Mak, because the Mak mag's are wider not so with the PA-63 or the P-64, I love the design of the bullet, not the dia, and for Six Cavity lee mould is a waist of money (IMHO),when a double cavity is all I need

, what's the actual weight of that bullet, I shoot the same bullet design in my 45 auto and it weigh's out at 235,I also load it in my 45 long colt

NORM
Norm, I think k31swiss is saying the Lee mold for the Mak looks like the 452-230-TC because it is a big 6 cavity mold. The outer dimensions are the same, but the cavities are making the 365 diameter at 95 grains. It is the 365-95-TC.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

robalan

I know its a Six Cavity mould, I wanted to know what the actual weight of the bullet was ,,just because it say its a 95 grn bullet doesn't mean it is, the 95 grn round nose bullet mould that Lee make right now weighs out from 100 grn to 109 grns, the 45 auto 230 grn weigh's to 235 grns, depending on what lead you use,

I would like to have that design mould but not in a Six Cavity mould , I shoot that bullet design in 40 cal and 45 cal, and bullet closes to that design in 44 special and 44 mag its very accrete

also wanted to know if his .365 bullets will feed in a P-64 & a PA-63, I know it will feed in a MAK. or a CZ-82
the mags are wider in those two. .365 bullet's will hang up in the mag in a PA-63 and sometimes in a P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
k31swiss

Post by k31swiss »

normsutton wrote:robalan

I know its a Six Cavity mould, I wanted to know what the actual weight of the bullet was ,,just because it say its a 95 grn bullet doesn't mean it is, the 95 grn round nose bullet mould that Lee make right now weighs out from 100 grn to 109 grns, the 45 auto 230 grn weigh's to 235 grns, depending on what lead you use,

I would like to have that design mould but not in a Six Cavity mould , I shoot that bullet design in 40 cal and 45 cal, and bullet closes to that design in 44 special and 44 mag its very accrete

also wanted to know if his .365 bullets will feed in a P-64 & a PA-63, I know it will feed in a MAK. or a CZ-82
the mags are wider in those two. .365 bullet's will hang up in the mag in a PA-63 and sometimes in a P-64

NORM
The weight of the .365-95-TC is 95 grains cast with WW. The weight of the Lee drops at 100-101 for me with WW.

The TC feeds better than the Lee round nose in my p-64. I just ran 100 through it flawlessly.

Attached is a photo from the Cast Boolit forum someone else took. It is a good comparison of the two bullets.
365-95-TC.jpg
365-95-TC.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 13664 times
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

k31swiss

thanks
as soon as they have a double cavity mould I'll get one
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robalan

Post by robalan »

k31swiss wrote:
normsutton wrote:robalan

NORM
The weight of the .365-95-TC is 95 grains cast with WW. The weight of the Lee drops at 100-101 for me with WW.

The TC feeds better than the Lee round nose in my p-64. I just ran 100 through it flawlessly.

Attached is a photo from the Cast Boolit forum someone else took. It is a good comparison of the two bullets.
365-95-TC.jpg
That sounds interesting. Can folks still get in on the buy? I think you may have listed a website, but I am not real great at navigating at those things and did not figure out how to get in on the buy. Thanks!!
Last edited by robalan on March 23rd, 2010, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robalan

Post by robalan »

I was looking around for parts and did notice there was another group buy around a year ago for a Lee 6 cavity Mararov at this forum. That group buy did expire, but I sort of wonder if some other people got in on that buy and had experience with this Lee 365-95-TC we have been talking about.
k31swiss

Post by k31swiss »

The group buy is over and delivered. The mold was made by Lee as a custom, took nearly 9 months. Another group buy I was in that Lee produced took over a year.

Visit the forum every few weeks and see what group buys are being developed. They have repeated some with modifications. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

They also have group buys of gas checks, lead, dies, etc. Definitely a good forum to watch if you are casting your own bullets.
robalan

Post by robalan »

k31swiss wrote:The group buy is over and delivered. The mold was made by Lee as a custom, took nearly 9 months. Another group buy I was in that Lee produced took over a year.

Visit the forum every few weeks and see what group buys are being developed. They have repeated some with modifications. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

They also have group buys of gas checks, lead, dies, etc. Definitely a good forum to watch if you are casting your own bullets.
Thanks, I will take a look from time to time.
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

sizer dies can be ordered from LEE PRECISION INC. [ Google up the factory link ]
The dies are custom made for $25.00 for the die & $ 4.00 processing fee. Send $ 29.00 and the desired bullet diameter to, Lee, and they will make your die to your specs. Another source for custom sizer dies for Lyman, and RCBS bullet sizers is Buffalo Arms Co., They have custom Bullet sizing dies in most diameters. The sizer dies are more expensive then the LEE, but size & lube at the same time. Hope this helps.

Ron