Reloading on a Size Budget

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

While some of the benches I've seen make me envious, I'm faced with the stark fact that I don't have the room for a full, dedicated work bench for reloading.

So... any hints for a noob looking to start reloading in a space-restricted environment?

I've seen portable reloading stations like the one shown here, and I've seen recommendations for converting a portable workbench. There's also the idea of clamping a 2x10 to a table...

So, any input about these methods? Pros/cons about reloading pistol or rifle with these setups (I'd like to do both)? I'm not as worried about pricing, so much as the ability to break down and stow my setup between reloading sessions...
robalan

Post by robalan »

I think we may be in a similar situation. Last year I took a reloading class and bought a bunch of equipment. The problem is finding a place for it. I have a basement full and an unfinished third floor full. The place seemed big when I moved in ten years ago, but things have changed.

The solution for me seems to be reorganizing things. I plan to build shelves and look through things to make space for the reloading setup. I don't know if something like that will work for you, but thought I would mention it.

Good luck to the both of us. :)
Last edited by robalan on March 9th, 2010, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

primarchbentley

here you go

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=155024

, I have seen setups in hall closets , where the bench was a shelf in the closet,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Reloading on a Size Budget

Post by anjdrifter »

normsutton wrote:primarchbentley

here you go

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=155024

, I have seen setups in hall closets , where the bench was a shelf in the closet,

NORM
I use a small work bench.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Here are my humble beginnings for my reloading bench in the basement of our home in a 13 1/2' x 9' spare bedroom I used a microwave table on caster wheels, secured a top layer of left over laminate flooring on the top to give a stronger and smoother surface, [36"x24"] put up a shelves to hold my supplies and reloaded ammo and went to reloading. The whole thing cost me including the microwave table [$10 at a yard sell] in the neighbor hood of $25. I'm still using it in the same configuration a year later, its been working for me for the past year, however, I'm now ready to move on to a bigger reloading bench and more shelving because I'm reloading more calibers now and I have a lot more supplies to store.

Training at Norms

Humble Beginnings
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear

boy is that a clean looking setup

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Norm,

That was over a year ago I took that pic, right after I got the Lyman kit in and put the table and shelves up. This is pretty much what it looks like nowadays. Top shelf is all cleaned brass, middle shelf is all reloaded ammo and the bottom shelf is all bullest, primers and powder, I do sweep the floor ever once in a while...... :roll:. I keep all the dirty brass in coffee cans too, they are on the floor there bottom right behind the tool box and stuff and some on top of that portable tool box in the corner and some in the closet floor along with my tumbler where all my rifles are, well a lot em anyway.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear
its still cleaner than mine , and tools do build up,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I wonder if a slick floor would be better for a reload station rather than carpet. No matter what, some how powder is going to slighly spill and I'd think it'd be better to sweep it up rather than vaccuum. However, you just have to go with what you got. Nice setup papabear. One of these days I'll get around to getting my own setup.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Virginia,

There is a 'Santa's Workshop', it's in Florida, and Kentucky too.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

juniustaylor wrote:I wonder if a slick floor would be better for a reload station rather than carpet. No matter what, some how powder is going to slighly spill and I'd think it'd be better to sweep it up rather than vaccuum. However, you just have to go with what you got. Nice setup papabear. One of these days I'll get around to getting my own setup.

I agree, a concrete floor would be much better, the carpet was there when we bought the house 8 years ago, but it was a spare bedroom/storage room till mamabear let me use it for my gun room. I'll probably pull up the carpet one day, I use a dry/wet vac to vacuum the floor.
smbob

Post by smbob »

primarchbentley,
I know this is a bit late, but one way you can load straight wall pistol
ammo in a restricted space is with a Lee Hand Press. Get yourself a set
of Lee carbide pistol dies, a Lee Auto Prime, a powder charger, a scale,
the Hand Press and you are all set.
I have been loading with the Lee Hand Press for years. I have no
problem loading 250 rounds in a night in my living room while I'm
watching TV. Never had a problem, it's cheap, and it makes great ammo.

Robert

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=410804