Reloading for Dummies

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
eagle71

Reloading for Dummies

Post by eagle71 »

A request - could one or others that currently do this successfully provide a primer on how to reload and what exactly you need to purchase for this hobby? I've been shooting a long time but have never reloaded before. That said, what I (and maybe others) need is:
1. A list of reloading gear - the whole nine yards - that I need to purchase to start loading;
2. Links to your favorite reloading sites that have both info and the best prices;
3. Info on reloading cartridges other than the 9mm Makarov. I am specifically looking for any info regarding .45 and 9mm Luger cartridge reloading...so do I need to buy reloading equipment for specific cartridges?;
4. Info on reloading for rifle cartridges (30.06, .223 Rem, 7.62x39, etc.);
5. Common tools/items to purchase that would be utilized for all reloading, like a scale for example.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by eagle71 on March 7th, 2010, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading for Dummies

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Eagle71, NORM got me started and it has saved me a ton of money plus I shoot more and better loads than could possibly afford to buy at today's prices. Drop him a PM and he will tell you everything you need to know to get started. MIDWAY USA has some great sales going right now, so now is the time to start.
Good luck,
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading for Dummies

Post by normsutton »

Eagle71

this is the kit I always suggest people to get its not the cheapest but its the best bang for the buck, then I would buy a set of lee dies in the cal. you want to reload in, you get what you pay for,
every once in while Comparing Prices? Remember, Graf & Sons pays the freight
http://www.grafs.com/product/264753

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=283295

I know some of some of you say I can get a lee press cheaper , you can go that rout if you want too , but in the long run you will be sorry

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading for Dummies

Post by papabear »

Eagle1,

Ditto with gunney, I didn't reload, however, I too went to Norm for reloading 101 a little over a year ago, hadn't ever reloaded and I have been shooting for nearly 50 years. I actually drove nearly a 1,000 miles to get hands on training at his home, spent three days and two nights there, I'm either a slow learner or hard headed and probably both, I got the grand tour, hands on training , and his same suggestion for equipment, the Lyman Crusher II kit w/free shipping from Graf & Sons, all my dies are Lee carbon dies that I found in several different places and also picked up a Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 tumbler and I have no regrets.

It has save me a ton of money also, I shoot all I want and the good part is the more I shoot my reloads get cheaper cause I'm reusing the brass, and instead of paying .62 cents a round for 45lc, I've got it down now to $8.50 a box or .16 cents a round and on my next go around for loading 45lc it should be closer to $6.00 a box or .12 cents a round, and besides all that once I found the right load for each handgun I shoot which is a bunch; its more accurate too. IMHO its the only way to go today with the high price of ammo especially for the larger calibers. I reload for 45lc, 45acp, 44mag/44sp and 357mag/38sp, and I'm saving my 9mm and 9x18 brass for when I get low on those calibers, and with the Lyman case trimmer that came with my Crusher II kit I can trim my 9mm brass down for 9x18 to reload.
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading for Dummies

Post by anjdrifter »

Iwill agree with everyone else so far and applaud the job my mentor and friend did for me.. and just like papabear drove well over a 1000 miles one way to have an invitational lesson from Norm.. So grasshopper listen carefully and you wont go wrong...
donnerwetter58

Reloading for Dummies

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Before you invest (not spend) hundreds of dollars on equipment, spend 20 bucks on a Lyman reloading manual. It will answer most if not all of your questions and provide the loading data you're looking for.
Reloading is a hobby in itself.
Enjoy.
robalan

Reloading for Dummies

Post by robalan »

A local club may offer a course really cheap too. I took a one day course at Hunters and Anglers.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading for Dummies

Post by anjdrifter »

Check with NRA they have instructors that offer courses...
eagle71

Reloading for Dummies

Post by eagle71 »

Thanks to all that responded so far - great advice!
I'll start with donnerwetter58's suggestion and get some "book smarts" on this first, and go from there.
Thanks again gents - greatly appreciated!
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading for Dummies

Post by normsutton »

Eagle71

I suggest this book too

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
eagle71

Re: Reloading for Dummies

Post by eagle71 »

Thanks Norm. The 8th edition of the ABC's of Reloading just hit the streets, so I purchased that version. Also picked up the 49th edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. Now to read and get smart on this.
saands

Post by saands »

Hey Norm,

Does the current edition of the ABC's still have the anecdotes of Lee doing stupid reloading tricks? I had an edition MANY years ago that I thought was terribly irresponsible in the light-hearted approach that it took to doing off the wall "experiments" ... I have never bothered to get a newer version because of that. I'm a LEE Precision advocate in almost all other cases, but that edition I had scared me!

Saands
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Saands

welcome back

I don't know about ( the anecdotes of Lee doing stupid reloading tricks ) only a fan of their dies , and moulds, don't like their presses , I do to much swaging and case forming
its a good book for beginners and the Lyman book is good too

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nametrux

Post by nametrux »

Just getting into this. What lube and sizer do you suggest for the 9x18? Love this little gun. getting 2 more for family members.

Never Mind!!!! I just found all I asked about. I just missed it.
saands

Post by saands »

If you are talking about casting your own bullets (eg from wheelweights) then you would want a .364 or a .365 diameter sizer with any good lube like Liquid Alox ... if you are just wanting to reload these, then you don't want lube at all ... you want carbide dies for the 9x18 (9mm Makarov) ... I highly recommend Lee dies as they are a great value and perform at least as well as any others.

Saands