Your reloading recipes for 9x18

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
pastorcurtis

Post by pastorcurtis »

I'm just getting started with reloading - and fired my first few rounds 9x18 through Vaclav, my beloved P64. I'm using the Meister 93grn hard cast bullets and this first batch I put over 3.9 grains of Unique. They fed nicely and had better grouping that Barnaul 95grn FMJ.

What do others shoot?

+HRC
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

pastorcurtis

I load cut down 9 mm cases , I cast my own with a LEE mould they weigh out to be about 109 grns , I know they seem to be heavy for the 9x18 round but they are lead not steel jacketed , I load them with ether 4 grns of W231 or 4 grns of Unique

by the way all I carry are my reloads and they are all lead bullets, no HP bullets , lead mashes up good enough for me

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I know some here don't like Bullseye but it works for me.
With a Meister 93 gr (.365) or a Lee cast at 102 gr sized to .366, 3 grains of Bullseye works very well.
I'm looking forward to the group buy Lee mold that brianintheup organized last spring. It's a truncated cone design rather than the Lee round nose. And a 6 cavity mold will make piles of bullets quickly.
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Guys, thanks for the reloading information. ;) I am looking into starting a reloading bench for my Makarovs. I was setup for the 9mm and .45acp when I was up North, but want drop some of my costs for shooting the little P-64 and my other Makarovs. :) Sgt P.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

NORM got me cutting down my 9mm casings to 9x18 and they work very well. I load 95gr. Bear Creek, Moly coated, cast lead RN bullets powered with 3.7gr. of accurate #2 and a heavy crimp. Accuracy is stellar and there is no barrel leading in standard barrels.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 29th, 2009, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

NORM, I've seen 115gr. offered as 9x18 HC bullets at some retail sites, what do you think, could 6gr. make that much difference? I'd much rather be throwing 115gr. as opposed to 93gr. any day.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G.R.
I doubt they are 115 grn. bullets, if they are over 110 grn they may have a new mould,witch I haven't seen on the market, have you weighed you 93 grn bullets just because they say that they are 93 grn don't mean that they are, it depends what alloy they are using, the 9x18 was deigned to shoot a 95 grn jacketed bullet and nothing heaver , mine cast out to 109.3 grns on the average with the lead I'm using and it suppose to a 95 grn , mould

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
918collector

Post by 918collector »

Don't like Bullseye? I must've missed something. I use it for anything it fits and have no problems with it. Works well for 9x18, but then, they are not fussy in my experience.
Nonetheless, I had to look up my load as it's been so long and it was 3.5 grains of Unique (another personal favorite) with the Lee round nose which averages 97 grains with my pick-up wheelweights. I noted it as mild and accurate and added that 4.1 grains was listed as a max and I found it too hot. Can't remember the source offhand but it was probably from the American Rifleman or Shooting Times articles I saved. When Maks were first imported, data was scarce and these were the first good sources I found.
My only regret about the cast bullet load is that I can't shoot it in my CZ as it has polygonal rifling which looks even shallower than a Glock's.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

pastorcurtis, sorry about the failure to notice your new membership.
WELCOME ABOARD PADRE!
You've found the best gun forum that exists anywhere, a great group of folks and information you can depend on, No Bull served up here; just strait dope from folks who are in the know!
Welcome once again!
G.R.
robalan

Post by robalan »

This seemed like a good discussion. I printed it for future use. Thanks!!
ohiotim

Re: Your reloading recipes for 9x18

Post by ohiotim »

I have a friend who reloads 9x18 for his P-64. He reloads for mine too (I pay for the supplies). He used Red Dot powder which seems to leave my guns dirtier than factory ammo. I see reference to Unique, Accurate #2 and Bullseye powders. Are any of these cleaner powders?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Your reloading recipes for 9x18

Post by normsutton »

ohiotim

the new Unique is supposes to much cleaner than the old Unique,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage