post some your pet 9 X 18 loads

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
ramiriz60

Re: post some your pet 9 X 18 loads

Post by ramiriz60 »

cases cut down military 9mm luger to 9x18 specs. Pm makarov pistol 9x18 mak .365" groove
bullet. Lee cast RN Weight with #2 alloy 106 gr.
bullet diameter as cast at .3655"
bullet lube LLA and after drying overnight dust with powdered mica
primer magtech SP
powder AA#2 Start at 3.5 gr. to 4.0 gr. MAX work up slowly !!!
O.A.L. .965 with bullet
comments. no pressure signs and bore clean & shiney no leading clean burning load
work SLOWLY and be careful !
Ron
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

I've been using:
93gr Betterbullets cast .365
4.0 Unique
Trimmed 9x19 brass
Wolf Small pistol primer
Use in a PA-63 and P-64
Of course you should work up from 3.5gr Unique
Greg
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

As to my post on the Rim Rock 116gr FN bullet. Norm is exactly right ! I did a further in depth testing of these loads and, My findings are as follows. P-64 not suited, recoil is too abusive, and slide velocity would hasten wear on this small pistol.

PM Makarov As stated before this load is extremely accurate,and barrel shows no leading. The recoil while fairly heavy is not abusive, and case expansion, and primers do not show any signs of pressure beyond normal " In My Pistol". These loads are accurate and function 100% in "My Makarov".

CZ82 Load functions the same as the Makarov, and no lead in Poly bore, However I could not get 100% reliable functioning, even while varying O.A.L. I tryed 5 different magazines, and in all of them, the rounds sometimes hang up. I believe this is because of the double stack mags, and the lead bullets cause too much friction, letting the rounds stick long enough, to let the slide close before the round pops up. I also had one mag full, that had to be slapped to
release the stuck rounds. I will retest this load in the future with nickle plated cases, as they may well work. The accuracy of this load is really good, but will not carry untill the functioning bug is worked out in the CZ82. Ron.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Ron

you might want to change the seating depth , it sounds like the lead is getting stuck in the throat of the barrel , I use the same deign bullet, in my 45 auto's and in my 40 cal's , and it used to happen to me all the time, when I started loading this deign bullet, now it works in all my 45 autos, and 40 cal's
this the 45 auto oor could be a pix of a 40 cal. can't remember, any way you can get idea

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

Norm.

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe that Buffalo Bore Ammo , uses a Shorter O.A.L. I Will redo these loads with a shorter O.A.L., as soon as I get time. The load works great in my PM Makarov, it may still need some more adjusting to work in the CZ82. may need XP Mag springs, but Wolf doesn't seem to offer them. If you know of a source for mag. springs for the CZ82, give a holler.

Thanks Ron.
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

Norm

I did some more work on the 116gr FN rimrock bullet loads, for my CZ 82. The bullet OAL of .965" was too long for the CZ. I coppied Buffalo Bores length of .955" and presto !!!! no more rounds hanging up the mag, load is working great in the CZ now.

Thanks for the help and advise Ron
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

ramiriz60, thanks for the on going info, really appreciated.
G.R.
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

116 gr. Rimrock FN bullet load Ramiriz60

Gun CZ 82 & PM Makarov

Cases Cut down 9mm military

Bullet Rimrock 116g. FN

Primer Magtec SP

powder Unique - Charge 3.6 grains

O.A.L with bullet - .950" Velocity unknown

Comments. This is the final load I came up with. I had to drop the powder charge slightly to make up for the shorter O.A.L. No pressure signs, and works good in CZ82 & PM Makarov. not for P-64. This load is accurate and functions great. I used the stock spring in the Makarov and the 18 lb spring in the CZ82. Penetration is awesome.
Please do not use this load in a P-64, it may cause damage to this small gun.

Thanks Ron
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Ron
great report

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ramiriz60

Post by ramiriz60 »

Thanks norm.

Coming from someone as experienced as you, I really appreciated your input. I believe that you have a vast wealth of knowledge, and I think we should all share what we know.

Yhank you again. Ron
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Bullet: Berry's 95 gr. plated .364
Case: Federal 9x18 Makarov (once fired)
Powder: 3.2 gr. Hodgdon Titegroup (starting load as listed on Hodgdon's website)
Primer: Remington 1½ Small Pistol
Gun: P-64
Special notes: Only fired 4 rounds this time. All 4 rounds could be covered by a 50 cent piece; 10 yards bench rest. Point of Aim (POA) was Point of Impact (POI)

Will chronograph next time out.

Brass ejected somewhere into next county.............lol

wyo-man
Last edited by wyo-man on September 9th, 2010, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Yeah that is the problem I have with the p64 even with light loads and a #20 recoil spring the brass goes supersonic and is a pain to find!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Bullet: Berry's Mfg. 95gr Plated
Case: Federal 9mm Luger cut down
Powder: 4.6gr Power Pistol
Primer: CCI #500
Gun: CZ-82

Special notes: OAL on these is 0.975". Chambered and extracted good, no hangups. I shot these at 25 yards and had one oddball that hit a bit low which opened a 10-shot group to 7.5". I guess I had anticipated recoil and let the muzzle drop. Had I not had that random one, the group size would have been 5". That was 25 yards, semi-supported. I'll try it again with a better rest and see if my results can improve. I did not get to chronograph them, but the data showed it should be 1010 fps. I'll verify that later as well. I feel these were fun, accurate, and had some snap.

I will also add that these shot WAY better than Silver Bear from my CZ. I tried both Silver Bear FMJ and HP and they were terrible from that gun, pretty much went all over the place at 25 yards. I even had a pretty bad flyer that almost took out my friend's target paper roll. We laughed about it, but it was very crappy accuracy to the point of being not fun to shoot.
cz82target.jpg
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

good report

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'd like to get back to the question of suitably of the 116 gr. load for the FEG PA-63. My understanding is that the PA-63 is a tiatnium/aluminum alloy frame and stronger than steel.
I own several .38sp revolvers that are titanium/aluminum alloy in construction and all are rated +P, none of my streel frame .38sp revolvers are rated +P.
What gives?
G.R.