Reloading

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
robalan

Reloading

Post by robalan »

I took a short course on reloading. It is a little expensive to get started, but seems like a good idea.

Are any of you doing reloading? What advice can you offer related to the P64 and reloading?
7point62fmj

Reloading

Post by 7point62fmj »

cheaper then an x-box to get started ::)

http://www.makarov.com/mak02.html

good info
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Reloading

Post by juniustaylor »

You really have to consider what you're going to reload as to whether it is a worthwhile investment. I would reload .243 Win, .30-30 Win, and maybe a couple pistol calibers like 7.62x25, 9x18, and 9x19. Possibly .38 and .357. These are all relatively cheap calibers and would more than likely take me several years to ever pay off my initial investment. Otherwise, if I just wanted it for a random hobby, then the investment price doesn't matter since it's just that, a hobby. Kind of like a game system, you buy it and don't expect it to "work for you." I've reloaded .243 and .30-30 in the past.

However, for my friend Jordan, it would be worthwhile for him. He shoots a .270 WSSM Winchester model 70. It costs him about $40+ per box of 20 rounds for the stuff he likes. In his case, reloading would be ideal and it'd only take him less than 200 rounds to pay it off. That's just an estimate, it really depends on the grade of reloading equipment you get. He already has a bunch of stuff his wife bought at a yard sale, he really just needs powder, primers, and bullets and he'd be ready to go.

I thought about buying the Lee setup off MidwayUSA for $105 or whatever it costs now. It's backordered now.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=121744 You just have to supply the powder, cases, primers, bullets, and maybe a few other odds and ends.

Some folks don't like Lee stuff because it does seem cheap and maybe a bit flimsy, however, I have a friend (fknipfer1) that uses the Lee press and several other Lee components and it has lasted him several years and he's still using it. Plus, you have to consider your use out of it. For the casual reloader, it's going to do everything you want it to do. For the serious folks, you probably want a RCBS Rockchucker press and all the expensive stuff or you don't feel your reloads will be accurate enough even though there's really not much difference, it's in the head.

Definitely look at several reloading manuals. Lyman is supposed to be a good one, I'm sure they're all about the same. Look for 9x18mm and go from there. Pick the bullet type you want. Hodgdon offers an online reload chart here:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Pistols may be a bit worthless to figure trajectory since I don't think folks really expect long range distances out of them. However, if you want to figure trajectory (how flat the bullet will shoot over a large distance) for rifles then Hornady offers an online calculator as does Norma.

It's definitely something to get interested in. I'd consider it, but I'm getting out of the Air Force in about 6 months and I don't feel like packing more stuff around than I have to when I move back to my home state. I may get the stuff then. Last thing, consider if you have room for a full sized setup, press and all. If you live in an apartment, then you're not going to have that much space. Some folks use the Lee hand press. You're not going to get boxes and boxes done at a time since your hand may get tired, but you could probably reload a box of 50 during a TV show or two.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=624416

Just some random things to ponder. Good luck!

-Junius
Last edited by juniustaylor on February 28th, 2010, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading

Post by anjdrifter »

It might seem a little expensive to get started but in long run it saves a ton of money. BUT the money aside it is a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I too took a course thru NRA,But on a trip to down under to Fla (plus a lot of calls) I was lucky enuff to have Norm teach me a lot of ins and outs of the hobby.
Sgt P

Reloading

Post by Sgt P »

In the long run reloading is a much cheaper solution to paying what some of these ammo dealers are selling their ammo for.
When I had my FFL, I also looked into commercial mfg of ammo for our personal use in the Combat Arms section here in the Air Force. It was to only be used in our private weapons, no military arms. I bought 2 commercial Lee reloaders, brass tumblers, components, etc. It paid for itself in the long run.

Since I had the commercial license to reload, it wasn't intill a good friend of mine who also reloaded commercially, had one of his rounds cook off inside a hot weapon destroying the firearm and injuring the shooter. This is an odd exception to reloading but since my buddy was liable it made me look a little deeper and see if I really wanted to do this commercially. I sold off my equipment to my friend and only loaded for myself. I also turned in my commercial ammo license due to the rise in insurance costs.

But I would do it again if the costs keep rising for factory loaded ammo. I am looking into a reloading set up and will proably go with a single stage reloader by Lee as I have had really good luck with their products. But you never know as some of the reloading kits have gone up a little since I last reloaded. Sgt P.
Last edited by Sgt P on March 4th, 2010, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbradshaw3

Reloading

Post by jbradshaw3 »

I have the Lee single stage press that sells for $110 at Cabela's, and I love it. I have been reloading for about 6 months, and the reloading itself is almost as much a hobby as the shooting. Some calibers aren't really worth the money to reload. But for large caliber stuff, it's a savings of about 50% in my estimation. The first batch of 1000 .45acp I loaded came out to about the same price as if I'd bought it, and that included my initial investment on the equipment. Everything after that will be, like I said, about half the cost. Try it, and have fun. Just be very sure you follow all instructions and measurements for your safety, not to mention the damage you could possibly cause to your guns. It's not hard.
If they think they can take my guns, they are wrong......I will own them until the day I die. Never be afraid or ashamed to protect your rights.
robalan

Reloading

Post by robalan »

Thanks for the information! There is a real good chance I will give it a try. You mentioned it will take some space. I have thought of that and it is a problem for me to solve. My townhouse has limited room. I bought it ten years ago. There was lots of space back then. :)
robalan

Reloading

Post by robalan »

One thing I thought about is I bet the Makarov can be reloaded with a light charge for practice which would reduce the recoil many have mentioned as a problem. I hope to learn more about reloaded in the next few months.

I do know reloads should only be used for practice at the range. When you are on the street you want factory loads. This is because if there is an incident there will be tests done on how far the bullet enters and things like that. Results on factory loads are reproducible for the most part and distance from the target can be determined. One possible problem I can see with a light reload is the estimated distance could be predicted wrong. You may shoot something 5 feet from a target and tests may predict the shot was done from a much longer distance because you reloaded lighter than is normal. That kind of thing can influence determination of self defense.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading

Post by normsutton »

robalan

I carry my reloads in all guns, I feel a lot safer with my reloads than I do with factory loads, in fact I don't like buying ammo at all, in all my hand guns I shoot lead bullets,

as for law suits , I'd rather be jugged by 12 men than carried by 6

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading

Post by papabear »

For me reloading today is the only way to go, I haven't bought any ammo in over a year, I only got on the reloading band wagon a little over a year ago. Yes it is kinda expensive to get started but if you shoot alot it pays for itself in short order. I too took the Norm's School of Reloading. The main reason for me was I wanted to get a Ruger 45LC but didn't for sometime due to the high cost of the 45LC ammo, even the cowboy loads then were going for over $30 plus a box and they are all lead cast bullets, FMJ and JHP are much more than that so it wasn't hard for Norm to convinced me to start reloading, and yet I was leery of shooting something I had made, but one trip to his on campus training center and I was hooked. Now a year later I reload for .45lc, ,45acp, 44mag/44spec, .357mag/.38spec, and in a variety bullet grain sizes for each, and soon my next set of dies will probably be for the .38S&W even though I still have several box's of it left but with 4 handguns that shoot it I'll be running low soon. I still have tons of factory for 9mm and 9x18, but I'm saving the 9mm brass and the 9x18 brass for reloading in the future. As for all my rifle ammo which is another long list I have more probably than my legal share, but soon that too with have to be reloaded, so there is no end for me now as to what I will reload in the future, its just a matter of will I out live the factory ammo or it out lives me, but my Layman single stage press kit I got from Graf & Sons plus all my Lee die sets will last longer than me or my factory ammo.
POINT SHOOTER
robalan

Reloading

Post by robalan »

Reloading sounds like a great idea. I plan to do it and save some money. However, I have more confidence in my factory loads than I have in any 12 random people. :)
protector

Reloading

Post by protector »

To me there is nothing more satisfying than shooting ammo that you safely and carefully put together yourself and tearing the crap out of that X ring with it... :-/
Last edited by protector on March 3rd, 2010, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...