Remington R51 Gen 2

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Re: Remington R51 Gen 2

Post by chestertnted »

I love the look, but not sold on performance
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Original Remington R51 designed by John Perdersen and produced in 1917 thru 1927 in .380ACP and later in 32ACP and IMHO was an excellent pistot in its time, far and away much a better pistol than the new version R51 Gen 2. He had worked with John Browning to design the Remington Model 17 which served as the basis for the Remington Model 31, Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, and Mossberg 500. He designed the Pedersen device that converted the M1903 Springfield into an autoloading intermediate-caliber weapon. Pedersen later worked for the US Army and provided competition to John Garand building an autoloading rifle to fire a full-power rifle cartridge. His design used wax lubricated cases and a toggle-bolt system much like the Luger pistol but

From Wikipedia:

The layout of the Remington 51 is similar to the Walther PPK pistol in the use of a stationary barrel and recoil spring surrounding the barrel. However, the unique feature is the use of a locking breech block within the slide. When the pistol is in battery, the breech block is held forward of the locking shoulder in the frame by the force of the recoil spring which holds the bolt face solidly against the end of the chamber. When the cartridge is fired, the bolt and slide move together a short distance rearward powered by the energy of the cartridge as in a standard blowback system. When the breech block contacts the locking shoulder, it hesitates, locking the breech. The slide continues rearward with the momentum it acquired in the initial phase forcing the hammer down and compressing the recoil spring around the barrel. This allows chamber pressure to drop to safe levels while the breech is locked and the cartridge slightly extracted. After the bullet leaves the barrel and pressure drops to a safe level, the rearward motion of the slide causes an inclined cam within the slide to lift the rear of the breech block free from its locking recess, continuing the operating cycle. One can insert a dowel into the barrel and push on the breech block. It will only move a fraction of an inch and stop against the recessed buttress. Only manually retracting the slide or firing a cartridge opens the gun. The Remington Model 51 was the only production pistol to utilize Pedersen's type of operating system.

Because the breech is locked, this pistol can handle greater pressures than a blowback firearm yet without the size and weight penalty of other locking systems. The design also allows the recoil spring to be placed around the barrel making for a shorter profile gun. Lighter operating parts and longer lock time provide less felt and actual recoil. A lower bore axis gives less muzzle rise which also lowers felt recoil. A fixed barrel allows for greater accuracy and reliability as well as simplifying construction compared to other locking systems. Overall, this system is lighter than a blowback, simpler than any conventional locking mechanism, and has less recoil than either of the other systems.

The Remington Model 51 uses an internal hammer and features a single-action trigger. A unique combination lever on the rear of the grip-frame acts as a safety, bolt hold-open device and bolt release. This is in addition to the grip safety, magazine safety disconnect, and relatively heavy trigger pull. The grips are held on with spring-tensioned studs rather than screws. Not a single screw is used in the entire pistol. Pedersen was greatly concerned with human engineering and developing a comfortable grip angle for his pistol while not sacrificing the slim profile. Field stripping the pistol is cumbersome but not overly complicated and is mastered with practice.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Damn Papabear one might think you are a Remington rep. Nice oped with lots of good information. Have not fondled one of these but I have wanted to since the original release. Anyone here own one of these?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
superc

Post by superc »

I have got several of the Prohibition era M51s and one of the 2nd generation R51s. I find my R51 to be a POS and have put 3 different videos up on YouTube showing exactly why. The more I shot it, the more kinds of malfunctions I experienced. Dropped magazines, double feeds, nose down rounds, stove pipes, light firing pin strikes, etc. I hit the point where it would eject loaded rounds while leaving the fired case untouched in the chamber, or else simply refuse to go bang without 4 or 6 pulls of the trigger. At that point I simply gave up on it. Remington totally missed the boat with the R51.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I thought Remington did a do over on the remake after all the problems.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

So did I and everything I heard was they had gotten those things fixed.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary