Ruger 22/45 Love/Hate

Use this section for all other firearms
mike83

Ruger 22/45 Love/Hate

Post by mike83 »

A trip to the range yesterday with my brother and a buddy. We shot 2 of my P64's, my Yugo Tok, My new Pt111 Taurus, an old Taurus 38 revolver and a Ruger 22/45. We all liked the new Taurus very much. I believe my 2 guests are now going to get one when they get back in stock. All weapons fired without any problems with my reloads and 22's.
So I start to clean my stuff this morning. I did 5 of them in under 45 minutes. I saved the Ruger for last, remembering what a pain in the rear it was. My memories served me well. I spent over 2 hours fooling with it. I followed procedure and all went well until I tried to re-assemble it. I ended up with it jammed, unable to take it apart or put it back together. I searched multiple videos and finally stumbled on one that helped. I was able to get it back together knowing I could do it again. I took it down again and did get it back together. Once I got the method down, it still took a long time and I did not like doing it. I think I will get rid of this thing. It's a shame because it is such a sweet shooter. New shooters absolutely love to fire it, as do seasoned veterans.
My P64's are still the easiest to strip and clean. Well, maybe the old revolver is easier.
The Tok throws the best fireballs, hands down. :evilgrin:
Mike
snailman153624

Re: Ruger 22/45 Love/Hate

Post by snailman153624 »

Yeah, having taken down a MkIII, I know what you mean. I also hated how dirty the action inside would get. They left EVERYTHING exposed to the blowback gases and debris, so the trigger and safety would get gritty after a few shots.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I commiserate. The new Walther CCP can have re-assembly problems as well. Definitely a learning curve. No problems with my P-64!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And that is why I do not own any of the Ruger .22 - 22/45 series pistols even though they are awesome to shoot and reliability is off the charts. My Browning Nomad is bad enough to tear down for cleaning and that is basically 1 screw. Glad to hear that PT111 is cooking along nicely for ya Mike. Did ya paint up the sights?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

I have 2 of the MKIII 22/45's and what I did to help make it easier tear down and more for reassembly was replaced the trigger pin bushing with those from a MKII and removed all the mag disconnect guts. Still a little bit of a hassle, but no more put the mag in, take the mag out, put the mag in and shake it all about. Now do the Hokey -Pokey crap. I also put on the fiber optic front sight and V-style rear sight, really helped these old eyes and start grouping again.