any one know what kinda 8mm this is and specs on it???

Use this section for all other firearms
Ward223

any one know what kinda 8mm this is and specs on it???

Post by Ward223 »

I bout this for 6.00 per 15... The guy told me it was east german but im not sure. He also couldnt tell me bullet weight.
Its steel cased with black laquer only around the primer. The head stamp has got 04 at 12 o'clock and 60 at six o'clock.
Does any body have any ideas. My internet skill might not be that great because I cant find it online so far.....
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: any one know what kinda 8mm this is and specs on it???

Post by Ketchman »

Is it a handgun or rifle round? Can you post some pics, that would be very helpfull. Is the bullet solid lead or FMJ? From the headstamp description I would guess it is a military round.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ward223

Post by Ward223 »

Sorry...yes it military...its a rifle round..8mm mauser. Heres pictures of the box it came in and the round itself. Image
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

He is probably correct on being East German. 4 is Volkseigene Betrieb (VEB) Mechanische Werkstätten Königswartha, East Germany.

The 60 should be the year it was producted (1960). As for bullet weight, I'd have to look that one up. I would say they're probably 196 grains. You'd have to probably pull one and weigh it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Ward223

Post by Ward223 »

well thanks....
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Looks like the 7.92x57mm to me.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I would agree with p64-1973. The box does say 7.92 which is the land to land diameter of the rifle. The bullet diameter should be .323" to match the groove diameter of the rifle. If the bullet is not a 196 grain, then it would be 154 grain. Any forum I find on the internet that mentions these cartridges 04/60 do not give any other specifications as to the bullet weight.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

juniustaylor wrote:I would agree with p64-1973. The box does say 7.92 which is the land to land diameter of the rifle. The bullet diameter should be .323" to match the groove diameter of the rifle. If the bullet is not a 196 grain, then it would be 154 grain. Any forum I find on the internet that mentions these cartridges 04/60 do not give any other specifications as to the bullet weight.
From what I have read, the standard German loading for the 8mm Mauser was a 196 grain spitzer style bullet. The Russians have different bullet weights for their 7.62x54r cartridge, depending upon what type of gun they were using it in, but I don't know if the Germans practiced this with their 8mm round.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Ward223

Post by Ward223 »

Thanks for the great info guy!!!