Got an SKS

Use this section for all other firearms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Got an SKS

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah yeah, they're probably not that awesome. However, I wanted an SKS so I set out to get one. I traded 2 Hi-Points (9mm and .40 S&W) for a Chinese Norinco and some cash. The cash being because it's missing the bayonet and cleaning rod so I need to get them.

Anyway, I think it will make a slick gun and would be a good survival rifle in my opinion. All serial numbers match throughout the entire thing. The bore cleaned up very nice, the chrome lined barrel is nice. Only a couple minor rusty spots that I got rid of with light steel wool and Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. The thing was practically spotless, not any real dirtiness on it. Either the original owner didn't shoot it much or they cleaned the crap out of it often. I'm very happy with my trade.

One question and maybe someone on here would know. On the left side of the receiver where the serial number is and the Chinese chicken scratch is, there are 3 screws in the side of the receiver spaced about 1.5" apart or so. They look original, not like someone modded it. Just wondering if those were for some form of factory scope mount of sorts???

I'll try to get some pictures on here soon.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
6x6pinz

Re: Got an SKS

Post by 6x6pinz »

I find the SKS to be a fun rifle to have around. I am down to just two at the moment but enjoy them as much as any other rifle. They are comfortable to shoot, especially after I spent some time getting the triggers working smooth. Lots of vids on youtube on how to clean up the trigger and worth the effort.

Not sure about the screws but I am sure someone will have an answer. I would take a guess that someone added a scope mount at some point.

congrats, you will have fun.
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

juniustaylor wrote:Yeah yeah, they're probably not that awesome. However, I wanted an SKS so I set out to get one. ... I think it will make a slick gun and would be a good survival rifle in my opinion.
SKS's are awesome! They seem to get a bit loss in all the AK hype, but are fine weapons with a proven history.

I absolutely love my Norinco, I bought her just before the import ban back in 1983. She was brand new out of the box; $69.00 - a hell of a deal. A real thumper these Norincos are. They just keep working.

I agree on the survival rifle thing; light, short enough to wheel around, ease of use. Any number of aftermarket stuff to create the custom rifle of your needs.

This funky looking dude is me. Living in California doesn't afford much in what I legally alter on my SKS. That's ok though, love the original look anyways.

Cant help you on the scope thing, I'd be interested in whether that was original or aftermarket.

Good shooting!

Peace,
Greg
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

these guys will know
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

it could be this mount http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435151 ... steel-blue , this the only mount , most guys use ,on the SKS
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Norm, you may be on the right track. Screw pattern is wrong though. I have heard of one feller using a Weaver universal shotgun scope mount to do the same thing with the SKS.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

:gunny:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The photos are on the Photo's section. However, here they are for good measure...

And the random screws...
klink140

Post by klink140 »

I've seen this before in an article about recent Serbian imported SKS's where during the Serbian-Bosnian-Kosovo civil war the militants took SKS's and mounted the PU type rail adapters to the SKS to mount a PU type scope to the rifle.

http://www.texastradingpost.com/yugosni ... niper.html
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Mine would seem to be a special one since the holes are spaced different. No wood was removed from the stock. Looks professionally done though. Thanks for the info.