Saiga 308 1

Use this section for all other firearms
dwd36

Saiga 308 1

Post by dwd36 »

Picked up a Saiga .308 rifle today at a pawn shop. i broke my deer hunting rifle so i was looking for something new. I had seen that the Saiga rifles were a good buy but I think I did even better with this 'lightly used" rifle.
It took over a box of shells to get it sighted in. I had a problem getting it on paper. I think it was because the distance from the barrel to the scope was more than I was used to. I have it 2" high at 100 yds now.
It really is hard on the brass though. It almost tears a notch in the rim of the case and about every case has a dent in it. what would cause this?
I think I'll take it deer hunting in the morning. They just won't stand a chance. (if I see anything)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Saiga 308 1

Post by papabear »

I was impressed with a Saiga IZ 132 [7.62x39] that I got to shot recently that a friend had, I've been checking them out and for me I'm favoring the 7.62x39 that Centerfire Systems has them for $299. From all I've heard the Saiga rifles are quality rifles.

http://centerfiresystems.com/SAI-762.aspx
dwd36

Post by dwd36 »

I didn't think about Centerfire. they have a buttpad that is cheaper than Classicarms. Both have a 308 listed for $499. I paid $365 OTD with a scope mounted and a case.
Well the deer survived this morning. The first one was too far I guess. I couldn't hold it steady, it's heavier on the front than I anticipated. I had only shot it off the bench to sight in the scope. The second one I couldn't get it off safety in time. The safety is not very handy for hunting.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

all the AK variant rifles are hard on cases. Some have put door trim molding on the dust cover and report this helping with the damaged cases. As far as the rim being damages it almost sounds like the extractor is having to pull the case out of the chamber harder than it should. give the chamber a good cleaning/polishing. Mine leaves some scratches on the rim but nothing that would damage the case for reloading. the dents are another issue. I don't reload so I have never worried about the dents on the case.

Love the Saiga line of rifles and shotguns. The 308 has by far the worst trigger of all the saigas. A simple conversion and it should still be a great shooter for hunting.

here is mine without the scope on it. I have a nice scope I just don't keep it on all the time. The compensator really makes a difference.
Attachments
saiga 308 complete (Small).JPG
dwd36

Post by dwd36 »

Thanks 6x6,
You're probably right, a good cleaning is in order. I bought it at a pawn shop one morning, sighted it in that afternoon, and was hunting with it that evening. I didn't look too bad so i thought it would be alright. I have no experience with AK style rifles. It didn't come with paperwork so i didn't even know how to strip it down. I have since downloaded an instruction manual, watched a bunch of youtube videos, and handled the weapon quite a bit.
I don't mind the trigger but I don't have much to compare it to. What conversion are talking about?
I really like your the looks of your rifle. I have a bipod that I wanted to mount to mine but it connects to the strap stud and wouldn't fit. I think if I go to the hardware store and get a longer metric screw it might work.
Where did you get your compensator?
Do I have to worry about 922r compliance? I know nothing about this until I started researching this rifle.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

The basic conversion is to replace the trigger group, install a pistol grip and a stock. Some folks like a folding stock while I have seen others leave the original butt stock. There is a world of difference between the trigger group they made for the sporter version and the Tapco G2. The conversion is actually fairly simple if you can work with some small tools (dremel, hammer, punches)
I actually put a JP industries compensator on mine. I did not want to thread the barrel so I opted to weld the compensator to the front sight block (had to make an alignment tool on the lathe to do this) Most have either rented the tools to thread the barrel or had a gunsmith do it for them. Once threaded you can put almost any style on that you like.
the saiga forum is a lot of help with ideas. http://forum.saiga-12.com/ there is a section for each of the saiga rifles and shotguns.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

All is accurate above.....but I would add this..you do not just replace the trigger group....you move it forward about a inch and a half to its original designed position. This makes a big difference in the balance of the gun. I thread all my barrels. Easy as pie. I paid a few bucks and Greg (Carolina Shooters) sent me thread adapter tools and dies for all my Saiga calibers. I have a Saiga .308 with the paint drying on it right now on my bench :)

Some things I have learned....I take off the front sight block on any Saiga .308 being built for defense/Close Quarters gun....just go with a red dot. Really makes a difference in the feel/weight/balance of the gun. I also use a collapsible stock on all of them....nice to have multiple choices for the length of the rifle depending on what your doing. I grind off about 3/8" of the bolt hold open tab. Still fully functional but out of the way. I use muzzle brakes on all of them. Control is much better for follow up shots and of course I like the idea of protecting the muzzle/crown. Lastly I will say the British machine gun surplus stuff is the bee's knee's.
http://classicarms.us/ammunition.htm (Scroll Down)
I just use a rubber mallet and a piece of wood and tap them out of the steel belt. Real easy and fast.

I have converted many many a Saiga (rifle and shotgun) since the late 90's and am setup for it.
Anybody around San Antonio or Austin feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to do it. I do not charge anything....just my way to give back to the 2nd Amendment and my fellow gun folks.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Lastly :)
I get 2 of CSS 20 round magazines for each of my Saiga .308's. Mandatory.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Here is one of my .308's I did a year or so ago.
And the muzzle brake I was speaking of. On this one I just moved the front site block back.

Many folks shoot way better than I. With the Millet 5MOA red dot I have dropped hogs/deer at over 200 yards with this thing. It is very accurate.