Condition of AIM Mosins, the $80 specials...

Use this section for all other firearms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Condition of AIM Mosins, the $80 specials...

Post by juniustaylor »

Anyone have any information on what condition the Mosins are that come from AIM? I assume they're in good shape. I'm mostly concerned about the bore condition after cleaning it all out. A friend of mine is looking at buying 2 for his boys for Christmas and I was just trying to help him find the best deal and not get 2 cruddy ones with shot-out barrels. I may give them a call and see if they can answer my question also but I'd like personal experience as well. Thanks.

US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
pjmather

Re: Condition of AIM Mosins, the $80 specials...

Post by pjmather »

I recently bought one from Classic Arms and it was in very decent condition -
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I would have to agree that Classic Arms is the way to go. I have dealt with Aim a lot, but the guns I have gotten from Classic arms are consistantly of above average condition.
From Above Only & Not Beneath!
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I have recently bought a Mosin from Classic and a Mosin from AIM. I go through those things like skivvies. Folks rent them to shoot hogs out here and love the "historic" value. Shoot Mr. Piggie with a bayonet on the end of their old Russian gun is a photo op for them :)

Classic Arms is always going to have top shelf C&R weapons. AIM depends on when you buy. If they are at the bottom of the barrel or just got a new load in. Classic Arms sells the "B" type guns wholesale and only sales "A" weapons to his customers.

AIM did just get in new MN rifles though is the reason I bought another....I was loading up on surplus ammo so what the heck....throw in another Mosin.

You should see what a Mosin-Nagant 7.62X54R round does to Mr. Wilbur. Aint pretty!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

bought this Swiss K-11 from Classic Arms and bought other guns from them as well, never had a problem

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

juniustaylor wrote:Anyone have any information on what condition the Mosins are that come from AIM? I assume they're in good shape. I'm mostly concerned about the bore condition after cleaning it all out. A friend of mine is looking at buying 2 for his boys for Christmas and I was just trying to help him find the best deal and not get 2 cruddy ones with shot-out barrels. I may give them a call and see if they can answer my question also but I'd like personal experience as well. Thanks.

I've just ordered my first Mosin Nagant 91/30 from AIM; it should be here this week. I'll be sure to let you know what the condition is like.

I also ordered a Spam can of ammo, but it comes without a can opener. Any suggestions about how best to get the can open? I'm assuming I can use the can opener blade from my old Boy Scout pocket knife...

Dwight
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I take a flat blade screw driver and a hammer and "tap" around the edges. But your Boy Scout opener will probably work.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I have several of the "openers" that came with the spam cans but still find it easier to use the hammer and screwdriver approach.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks Dwight. When I was going to buy my first ever spam can I went on eBay and bought one of the openers. Don't remember what it cost me, a few dollars or so. It was okay but still wasn't that easy. The hammer/screwdriver mention that these folks mention sounds just as easy. It's somewhat thick metal.
espania1958

Post by espania1958 »

I just bought a Hex Mosin Nagant Rifle from AIM a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent in condition even had brass on the ends of the the top wood barrel cover. I'm going to get some "Never-Dull" and shine them up. Shot 20 rounds thru it and was very accurate at 50 and 100 yards. I belive that stock was laminated. The rifle costs $89.95 vs the standard round receiver at $79.95.
I also, noticed they have still have some "M44" tanker carbines for $199.95.
Hskrvern

Post by Hskrvern »

I've gotten a gem of a k-31 from classic and I've gotten 8 cheapie mosins from AIM, one of those had a stock I kid you not looked to be unissued (the stock not the metal) and all the edges of the finger groove and such were sharp, the stock itself was a nice light blonde. I've gotten some gem bores from AIM too.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Hi Jun,

I received my MN 91/30 (round receiver) today. I've taken it about 80% apart for cleaning and inspection, and I can report the following so far:

1) The condition of the stock is very, very nice. All the wood is solid with next to nothing as far as marring is concerned, and the condition of the shellac is really, really nice as well. It's a medium-dark tan with a tinge of orange from the shellac.
2) All the numbers I've found match - buttplate, receiver, bolt and magazine base.
3) It's a 1943 manufacture date, from the Izhevsk factory. Lots of markings on the metal, and one or two on the wood as well.
4) The blueing is nice and dark.
5) The light in my garage isn't great and the bore looks dirty, so I can't tell what degree of "brightness" there is. But, I can tell you that the lands and grooves are very sharp and distinct. The muzzle crown has been re-worked - not counter-bored, but certainly it has been re-turned with a small but distinct chamfer on the inner radius.
6) I got a complete cleaning/tool kit, but without the "pouch" that they are generally found in. I got the two-compartment ammo case, but no twin oil bottle.

All in all, I am very pleased with the rifle so far. For about $100 shipped, it looks to be a tremendous value.

Dwight
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks for the report Dwight. I'll let my friend know.
68gmcfan

Post by 68gmcfan »

I have bought 4 from Aim and the last one looked rough, but the bore cleaned up great. It even had some shine to it. Functions and shoots great. BTW, all of the MN's from Aim are from R guns
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks 68gmcfan for the info.