S&W Model 13

Use this section for all other firearms
eagle71

S&W Model 13

Post by eagle71 »

I'm considering a S&W Model 13-2 purchase. It's a 357 magnum, 3” pinned barrel, with a recessed cylinder and round butt. The serial number is 5D12XXX. No box or papers. Seller said it's in 98+% condition, original bluing, good lock up and timing, and only a very faint drag line on the cylinder. Price is $525.
I've been looking for one of these with a 3 in. barrel for a long time, and the price seems reasonable. That said, was wondering if you S&W experts out there (PapaBear?) could chime in as to whether $525 is a good price for this pistol. Also, any guess as to how old it is, based on the above serial #? Thanks in advance,
Steve
wyo-man

Re: S&W Model 13

Post by wyo-man »

I believe the 3" barrels are in high demand as it provides a good balance with a Magnum loading.

wyo-man
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

eagle71,

wyo-man is right, the 3" model 13 is hard to come by, so finding one in 98% condition is premo, and so is the price unless you find someone that doesn't know what he has, that's possible but rare in today's market, so a true 98% 3" round butt w/heavy bbl with cylinder counter-bore [recessed cylinder] model 13-2 ['77-'96] is going to bring a high price especially over the internet. Blue Book of Gun Values rates that mode at 98% at $325, of course that is just the beginning price depending on where you live, generally in my area they are running in the $400 - $475 range in that condition, but I haven't seen one in over a year, so IMHO if you really want one and can afford that price maybe you should bit the bullet and get it, but I would at least try to bring the price down to $475 at least, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so its hard to pass up something you have been waiting for are really want. Hope this helps.

This is my 13-3 w/S&W combat stocks I paid $199 minus the combat stocks for it back in 2006 when nobody wanted them.

Picked up this S&W 13-1 last year for $325, but I had to search for over 18 months to find one in this condition for that price.
eagle71

Post by eagle71 »

Thanks PB. You have some beautiful examples of this pistol!
I was outbid, so will continue to look at the various websites, and gunshows in the local area.
Steve
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I let a friend talk me out of one in 1987 for $150. I guess I should have kept it. :(
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

The Thirtieth Edition of the "Blue BOOK of Gun Values" lists a S&W model 13 in 98% condition at $375.00, the N.Y. State Police issue at $400.00 in the same condition. This book is a year and a half out of date and considering recent increases in price for all handguns the asking price may be in the ball park. Make him a reasonable offer, he is in the business to make a profit and may come down slightly. Good luck!
GR