Newest Find

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newest Find

Post by papabear »

I recently picked up a '84 Llama in 45acp, model IXA, and the price was right for a 45acp these days [$325] its been to the range and at 7 yds its a center mass expert, and without any failures. I now have two Llama the other is a '43 Llama model 1 in 32acp, a Llama Nazi contract and its a center mass tack driver too, I only shoot ball ammo in the 45acp but the Model 1 handled JHP just fine. Years ago [80's] I had a Llama XI, similar to the IXA except in 9mm, it performed in the same fashion as the two I have now. I heard more than a few make comments that the Llama's, Stars and Astra's are a poor grade of pistol, I now have two Llama's and two Star's a BM 9mm and a PD 45acp, I'll put them up to anything in their class for reliability and accuracy, as for looks, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Star PD 45acp

Star BM 9mm
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Newest Find

Post by anjdrifter »

Papabear I just smile when I hear bad comments about Spanish steel.. Just leave em for me you cant beat em with a stick. That goes for all calbers from 22 to 45 .
My LLama
A Star
another Star
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Since we are showing our Llamas love, here's my crappy pics of my Mini-Max II. (BTW, it's pronounced Yama for those unfamiliar.)
Attachments
Mini-Max II 008.jpg
Mini-Max II 004.jpg
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

As Norm would put it, "Love that Spanish Steel", good looking Mini Max and your right, its pronounced "Yama".
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

I bought mine new in about 1995 or so. I don't think I have ever had a jam of any kind, even with some really cheap magazines. I mostly shoot my own reloads with my cast 230gr round nose bullets. Cheap shooting with cast reloads!

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I guess I have to show Llama
now

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

all this Spanish steel makes me feel warm and fuzzy....
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Al,

Warm and fuzzy is good for us older guys...... :mrgreen:

JAGGUY,

Good looking "Yama'" thanks for sharing.

Norm,

Of course I know yours, I fondled it before I got mine, love those grips.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Good find!!! I have some Super Modelos (9mm Largo). I also have a Star 1921 and 1922 which I am more interesed in collecting for now. I have yet to stumble across a good Llama - especially one in 9mm Largo cal. You guys have some exceptional .45 guns tho. :D
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

A shame Llama went out of business. The Llamas pictured are really nice. That goes double for Papabear's.

anjdrifter, I bought the same full sized .45 years ago for my dad. He even let me carry it when BOTH my BHPs went down. It is one nice gun.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

It's sad that Llama took such a bad rap from the gun industry, they made pistoles that were accurate enough and went bang every time you pulled the trigger, what more does a hand gun have to do? Fit and finish was not the best but it was as good as any thing that was built during and after WW2 and up to the early eighties and they sold them for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of thier competition "and that aint bad!"
G.R.
smbob

Post by smbob »

anjdrifter wrote:all this Spanish steel makes me feel warm and fuzzy....

No truer words have ever been spoken! I love Spanish pistols. Star, Llama, and Astra!

They are built like tanks and accurate enough for me.

My only one. A Star Modelo A 9mm Largo Spanish Air Force.

Robert
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Robert,

One or a hundred of em, welcome to the Spanish steel club, your A Star Modelo A 9mm Largo Spanish Air Force is nice one, I really like the grips too.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

papabear wrote:Robert,

One or a hundred of em, welcome to the Spanish steel club, your A Star Modelo A 9mm Largo Spanish Air Force is nice one, I really like the grips too.
YUP what he said
smbob

Post by smbob »

papabear wrote:Robert,

Thanks Papa! If I were able to I would own a ton of Spanish Steel. Unfortunately the gun laws in
Cali don't allow it. I was able to pick this one up because it was C&R. I would love to be able to
get a Star BM and a Super Modelo in 9mm Largo, but right now it aint going to happen.

Robert