Derringer trigger pull

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Derringer trigger pull

Post by blinddog »

I have a Davis Industries 38 cal. derringer and the trigger pull is past brutal. It makes a P-64 pull like a fine tuned Smith. If anyone has had any dealings with one of the little derringers please let me know.

Blinddog
ramiriz60

Re: Derringer trigger pull

Post by ramiriz60 »

Hi blinddog

I have a davis derringer, and had the same problem. They are not to hard to take apart, but make sure you pay attention to the way the firing pin parts are installed and reinstall them in reverse. The trigger and sear , need to be polished, to remove tool marks. Do not remove any metal, just smooth things up, and do not change the angles of the hammer, trigger or sear, just polish and lube parts. I used moly grease, sparingly on the hammer, trigger and sear. Go slowly and check progress often. The trigger pull will still be heavy, but should be smooth. these are not target peices, but will put 2 holes in target at across the room distance. The heavy trigger pull is a safety device, and the safety should be used all the time. The safety locks on when pushed from left to right, and can be released with the right index finger as it is drawn, then as the pistol is pointed away from your body you can cock the hammer. you can cock the pistol with the barrels open, then let the hammer down gently on the firing pin, and see which one sticks out. I perfer that the upper pin sticks out, then put the pistol on halfcock, and engage the safety. When you are ready to fire, release the safety, draw the pistol out and then cock the pistol as it comes on target. This will allow the pistol to fire the lower barrel first and the upper barrel next. The bottom barrel on my pistol hits P.O.A. at 25 feet and the top barrel hits about 3 inches higher, with the same P.O.A. Do not use +P ammo in this gun, and hang on tight, it kicks !!!!!

Hope this helps. Ron :D
mikana

Post by mikana »

I lightened the trigger pull on mine by cutting off about 5 loops from the main spring... Don't do that! Created light primer strikes and poor ignition. Did decrease the trigger pull, though. I would advise making your finger stronger! :? BTW, replacement parts are easy to order from Cobra.
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

I have a Davis 9mm derringer. The trigger is a son of a gun to pull on it too. Its supposed to be a safety feature, but I think it could be more harm than good in a high stress situation.
mikana

Post by mikana »

Not that a derringer is a great sd gun, othr than a bug, but with adrenline flowing, I bet that trigger wouldn't create too much of a problem.
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

The problem is that the trigger is set on a pivot, and you cant pull straight back.... you have to pull back and down at the same time. That may be hard to remember under stress.

If it wasnt for the fact that the wife likes it I would trade it off on something.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Thanks for all the input. I think I will follow Ramiriz60s advice and polish the parts, kind of makes sense to do that. I like the little gun for shooting old targets and see if I can hit one.
richmier

Post by richmier »

blinddog wrote:I have a Davis Industries 38 cal. derringer and the trigger pull is past brutal. It makes a P-64 pull like a fine tuned Smith. If anyone has had any dealings with one of the little derringers please let me know.

Blinddog

I have the same problem too I don't know what to do with this...
A weapon like knifes, guns or brass knuckle etc. isn't good or bad, depends on the person who uses it.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I took some advice and polished the trigger group and it helped some, it was still a bear to pull but it was smooth. Really they are a fun little gun.