Liquidating Guns

Use this section for all other firearms
mattwestm

Liquidating Guns

Post by mattwestm »

I'm wondering if any of you guys have the same mindset as me. I inherited quite a few guns from my great grandfather a few years ago. Since I got them, I have been slowly liquidating the collection. Some didn't really appeal to me and some were crap. I got rid of one 9mm (it was a Bersa, iirc), a Jennings .25, a Winchester rifle in .357 magnum, a 30-06 Remington, a S&W Model 19, and a few others that didn't have any family value.

The only one I really miss is the S&W Model 19, but I didn't find it useful since it was far too long and heavy to carry. I'd like to get a 9mm Luger or a .40S&W for carry, but I'm pretty happy with a limited selection of calibers. At the same time, I can get a Makarov (which I don't own at all) which shoots the same rounds as my P-64 and CZ-82. I can stock up on ammo which feeds several guns. I'd also like to get a snub nose 357 or 38 revolver, but once again, that's another caliber to keep on hand.

So, does anyone have the same mindset as me? I'm not really saying you shouldn't have a few hundred guns, I'm just saying it becomes difficult to buy ammo when you have 10 different calibers to buy. It's so tempting to buy tons of different guns, but ammo costs really gets me.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Liquidating Guns

Post by juniustaylor »

Matt, I feel that way. I tend to try to keep like calibers. I have had a few oddball calibers in the past and got rid of them since they just weren't common and I only had one gun that shot the particular round. Currently I have a .30-30, some .243's, .22's, .357, some 9x18's, and 7.62x54r's. There are even some more in there that I didn't mention. The one gun that I have that shoots an odd, somewhat obsolete round is my .38 S&W. It's a pre-model 10, more of a .38-200, but it has no British proof marks. So, I don't know if it ever went overseas. Some knucklehead at one time reamed the chambers so it would shoot .38 Special. This was a common practice. I got a used cylinder from Numrich that fit like a champ and required no fitting or alteration in timing. So, now I reload for that round and I love it, it's an accurate round but certainly nothing special. It's shooting a 145 gr MO Bullet at about 732fps average using 3gr of Unique. I think that's a light load as I've read I can take it upwards to 4gr, but I don't mind. That 732 fps is still faster than the majority of commercial ammo. Fiocchi is the only one to top out at 750 fps according to their information. So, I'll stick with my 3gr of Unique because it's accurate and it's a good shooter.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I have avoided buying certain guns because it would mean yet another caliber to stock. I already have to buy ammo for .22LR, .380, 9x18, 9mm, .40, .45, 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, and 30.06. It tends to get expensive and storage can become an issue.
I plan to buy a barrel that will convert my .40 BHP to 9mm in order to skip buying .40 ammo. So I can understand where you are coming from.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

On the other hand I enjoy the variety. As long as you don't try to stock up all at once it is not that bad. When you go to the range you just choose the caliber you happen to have gotten a good deal on and shoot away. I did not even notice the ammo price increase as I just shot the ammo that I had the most of. Now that prices are coming back down I have been looking for deals on ammo to restock.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I have several calibres but try to not add any news ones.

My handgun calibres are:

9x17 mm (.380 only a few hundred rounds for the LCP)
9x18 mm (all varieties of Makarov calibre guns - a few dozen cases)
9x19 mm (several brands C&R and non-C&R - a few thousand rounds of LEO over-runs)
9x23 mm (Star Super modelos and Star Spanish Air Force models - several cases of Santa Barbara rounds)
7.62x25 mm (Tokarevs - several spam cans of Yugo and Polish ammo)
.45 acp (several types but mainly 1911 guns - only a couple thousand rounds of FMJ and a about 50 rounds of JHP Corbon)

I also have a smattering of rounds for my revolvers S&W and Rugers (.357 and .44 magnum).

My rifle calibres are:

7.62x39 mm (SKS and AK variants - several cases)
7.62x54R (PSLs - several cases of Czech and Russian ammo)
7.65x53 (Argentine Mausers - about 6,000 rounds milsurp in wood boxes)
30.06 (various Mauser actions - a couple hundred rounds commercial ammo)
7x57 (Chilean Mausers - a couple hundred rounds commercial ammo)
7.92x57 (K98, vz.24, M24/47, M76 - about 3,000 rounds milsurp, maybe 1,600 rounds of Yugo M75 sniper ammo and a couple hudred armour-peircing WWII German ammo)

Also a few hundred rounds for the Steyr M95: 8x56R (Pre-WWII era ammo)

Obviously I buy a lot of surplus ammo by the case. I am looking to cut down and possibly eliminate the 7.92x57 guns since the surplus ammo is less than reliable (especially the Yugoslav). I may keep the M76 since I have cases of M75 sniper ammo for it and I may keep a couple very nice sporterized Czech vz 24 rifles for hunting with commercial ammo. The most reliable rifles for hunting have been the 7.65 Argentine and for general shooting the 7.62x39 for the ever reliable SKS and AK-47 rifles.

I am buying more of the imported milsurp since who knows how the political winds will blow going forward. One executive order and the supply could dry up fast. Even so, some calibres are not being made in quantity and the supply will eventually dry up leaving only reloading, special orders, rare commercial runs, etc.). So I am in effect "buying cheap and stacking deep".

daven

Post by daven »

Well I have the opposite problem, I like "odd-balls". I load 0.25 ACP, 0.30 Mauser, 7.62 x 25 Tok, 7.62 x 38R (Nagant); 0.32 S&W; 0.32 ACP; 0.38S&W, 0.38 Spec; 9 x 18; 9 x 19; 0.357 Mag, 0.40 S&W, 0.41 Special (and Mag and the Spec does exist); 0.44 Spec, 0.44 Mag, 0.45ACP (regular and in AR), 0.45 Colt and 0.455 Webley. Rifles 30.06; 7.92 x 57, 7.62 x 57R; 7.62 x 51 and 0.303 British. Sometimes I even have time to shoot!!! Daven
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

Well I have the opposite problem, I like "odd-balls". I load 0.25 ACP, 0.30 Mauser, 7.62 x 25 Tok, 7.62 x 38R (Nagant); 0.32 S&W; 0.32 ACP; 0.38S&W, 0.38 Spec; 9 x 18; 9 x 19; 0.357 Mag, 0.40 S&W, 0.41 Special (and Mag and the Spec does exist); 0.44 Spec, 0.44 Mag, 0.45ACP (regular and in AR), 0.45 Colt and 0.455 Webley. Rifles 30.06; 7.92 x 57, 7.62 x 57R; 7.62 x 51 and 0.303 British. Sometimes I even have time to shoot!!! Daven
What no 7.62x45 rifle :D , one of my favorite to just plink with. Getting harder to come by in quantity but still fun to shoot.

Nice odd ball collection though
daven

Post by daven »

Thanks for the comment on the collection. If I listed the guns that I shoot some of these through, particularly the 0.455 and the 38 S&W my wife would have a fit as I have multiples in some cases. Daven
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

Thank goodness for rooms the wife does not have keys to. If she only knew the extent I am sure it would not please her much. I keep her busy with my OD green truck affliction outside, so she does not notice the steel and wood inside the house:)
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

I currently donate $ to the makers of about 10 different ammo calibers not counting rifle and shotgun. It's not a big problem because one, 9mm, includes so many different guns. The other calibers are just occasional shooters.

My only handgun caliber that falls into the "what was I thinking" category has to be the .22 magnum. I'm sure it has its fans, I just haven't found much use for it.

hangfire
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Truth is like some of the rest of you fellows there are guns that I need to get rid of, just not interested in them any more. I would sell them face to face here in Oregon but need a FFL holder here in Portland to ship them FFL to FFL across country, it all seems like such a hastle plus the extra $ involved.
Reloading is just one of the hobbies that I love to do and it takes so few dollars to profit so much it seems like a win,win, win for me.
G.R.
daven

Post by daven »

Most of my "problems/afflictions" (choose your term!) are due to having held a C&R licence for many. many years, plus a local gun store that aids my "addiction" by calling me when they obtain a new collection of "other than tupperware" guns. Since this happens frequently at the moment, I have picked up a few rather nice "odd-balls" in the last few months. The last was a Victory S&W in 0.38 S&W that had been refurbished by Lithgow in OZ in 1952 and came to me for a good price, as the store has my C&R on file, so simply pay and walk out. No other checks necessary to the chagrin of other customers. Similarly, they have an S&W Model 52 that has my name on it when some expense refunds come back. Not a C&R, but it will be a nice "safe-mate" to the other one that I have that is not in as nice a condition (even has 5 magazines with it and they are $50+ per mag when you can find them). Daven
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

Oh yeah, I'm all about caliber consolidation. 9x18 or 9x19 for handguns, 5.56 for rifles.
(But then I also have a 38 special and a 7.62x25, so I ruined myself. :D)
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

I've still got to get a decent 9x19 and a revolver. Right now I just have to stock .32ACP, 7.62x25, 9x18, 7.62x54R, .22, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, and my 12ga and .410 shotgun. The 32ACP is just my Kel-tec pocket pistol so I don't shoot it often. I'm thinking about getting a Makarov, but I could also use a decent 9x19. I'm also looking at getting something in the AR platform soon, but they are pretty expensive.