Gun Storage

Use this section for all other firearms
mattwestm

Gun Storage

Post by mattwestm »

Hi guys, I am thinking I need to lock up my guns better than a linen closet with a simple lock. Someone could jimmy that lock open in about 5 seconds. I live in an apartment, so a huge gun safe really isn't feasible. I'm considering one of those stack on gun cabinets. I won't be able to bolt it to the wall or floor, but I'm thinking about putting some sandbags or something heavy in the bottom. Any thoughts on apartment storage?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Gun Storage

Post by juniustaylor »

I have 2 of the Stack-On "security cabinets". One is a 10-gun, the other is an 18-gun. I think they are excellent for what they are. They won't thwart serious thieves but they do keep children and other un-authorized persons from getting into whatever is inside. Using sandbags may be somewhat effective, but I don't think I'd personally use them. Sand isn't very dense, it takes a lot of sand to equal a small 25# bag of lead shot. If it got ripped open, then you've got a nice mess to clean. Shot is expensive so you have to consider if $40 per 25# bag is really worth it. Otherwise, just leave it as it is. So, you have some options to ponder since bolting them down is not an option. Maybe someone else will have other advice.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Something like this if you have just a couple guns:

or maybe this:

There are several variations...
hp-hobo

Post by hp-hobo »

The Stack-Ons or adequete for organizing your guns and keeping honest people and kids out. I own two for storage but not for security.

For someone in an apartment or who moves frequently these are, IMO, the way to go.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

They don't have a price list, well, I couldn't find one for Zanotti. They do look rather interesting and may be up your alley mattwestm. Suppose you'll just have to contact them and see what they want for them. http://www.dakotasafe.com is another form of constructable safe. They have a video on their website so you can see how it's done. Takes about 30 minutes they say.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

I'm also considering building a wooden locking box that will accommodate 10 rifles. Something that will slide easily under the bed. Out of sight, weight, and a bit of security. Plywood should be sturdy enough.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

plywood should be okay just go with 3/4in its heavy but very sturdy. any bolts you use for around the locks and hinges use something like carrige bolts because the dont have a head that someone could use to unscrew and get around the locks, also you might wanna think about getting some angle bracing and screw it inside. just a few suggestions
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Definitely use carriage bolts if using traditional hinges. Otherwise, I'd go with piano hinges and they'd be attached on the inside of the box. Shouldn't be too bad of a project. As mellisallen said, angle iron or something similar should be utilized to reinforce corners, etc. That sucker will be a tad heavy, but not even close to a gun safe. A wood saw would readily cut through it, it wouldn't take much to get to the inside. I don't know how much the light sheet metal of the Stack-On safes would take, but surely more effort than plywood. However, it's up to you.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

Scratch the wooden box idea. My bed only has 6" of clearance underneath. I'll just get a stack on storage cabinet. It should keep a thief out for a while and provide a nice place for my guns besides a linen closet.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I think the Stack-On will be sufficient. I have 2 and I think they're just fine.
dwd

Post by dwd »

I was intrigued by the design of the Zanotti Armor® safes as I have a situation where they would work. I called the company and got a price for the smallest one they sell, Size: 5’H x 25”W x 20”D, holds 16 long guns. the price was $1231 plus shipping, they are built to order and they could start in May. the next bigger size was only $200 more and twice the size. fyi
I also have a Stack-on that I use for my "second" guns and the kid's guns. I keep the keys locked in the safe with the good guns. I think you would be fine with it but I would consider bolting down with some lag screws, even if you rent. Some quarter inch lag screws into the floor wouldn't make much of a hole especially if your are going through carpet, the holes might not even show when removed. Consider sheetrock screwing a 2x4 to the wall behind the safe and lag screw into the 2x4. when you move, just unscrew everything and there will be just a few holes left no bigger than picture would leave. It will be pretty solid and the thief won't know if you used 1/4" lag screws or 1/2" anchor bolts.