taurus 1911 opinions?

Use this section for all other firearms
mellisallen

taurus 1911 opinions?

Post by mellisallen »

im considering a taurus 1911 as my next purchase, i like the feel and look but that dont mean crap if they are well...crap. so anyone out there have one? i need some opinions from someone that is not trying to sell me one.
rottenrick

Re: taurus 1911 opinions?

Post by rottenrick »

I'd talk to Papabear, he's the only guy I know that has one. But I won't speak for him send a PM. I don't think he'ed mind.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

mellisallen,

I have one of the original models of the PT 1911 and love it, over 2,000 rds I have put through with no problems at all, feeds anything I put in it from FMJ and HP including my lead cast reloads. I have heard pros and cons on it on different boards, but in general 8 out of 10 really like theirs, sure there are problems with any gun from time to time, they are man made so we have to expect that. For all the goodies that come with the PT 1911 and the price it is hard to beat for 45acp these days. I bought mine over two years ago LNIB for $450, besides the grips and highlighting the stamping and only using GI 7rd mags I haven't not changed a thing. I will say though that the finish on the PT 1911 is a tad thin and it is easy to scuff up or scratch but other than that I'd give it a 98% rating.

mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

thank you papabear :D

the guy at cabellas was going on and on about how much he liked them, and then said things like "we have layaway" and "you could get a cabellas credit card".

so it was nice to get an opinion that was honest
i think it may be my next purchase
Maaso

Post by Maaso »

Take one apart there at the gun store. The quality of Taurus will quickly make it's self apparent. Almost everything inside the Taurus is machined....nothing cast or MIM.

While most guns are hand fitted, the lot of them are built on an "assembly line" and one person installs one part and so on. At Taurus, there are no assembly lines. Just a handful of people dedicated to one line of guns. The same person who put that 1911 together did so yesterday, and will be putting 1911s together for a long time. They don't move people around like other manufacturers do.

I caught a show on some hunting channel, where they were praising their Raging Bull series for hunting. And they did a tour of their factory and I was really impressed.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

My range partner fairly honest Ed thinks his is the best 1911 he has ever owned, shoots much better than his tricked out Springfield.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

OOOOPS, in my post above I mentioned "that besides changing the grips and highlighting the stamping and only using GI 7rd mags I haven't not changed a thing", well I was wrong, I prefer the curved MSH instead of the flat MSH, so I had Norm on one of my visits with him to change out the flat MSH and install a curved one.

dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Maaso wrote:nothing cast or MIM.
I don't think this is true.

I also don't think the whole MIM thing holds very much water. Properly made MIM parts are fine and many makers use them in many makes of guns. I think Taurus might make some mim parts for STI and their slides and frames are forged in-house in Brazil.

I have read/heard mixed reports on them, but think that the PT1911 is probably a good value for a range gun. I had a Taurus auto that I wasn't very fond of, and my father has the exact same model still. Mine wasn't assembled by a master craftsman and the parts seemed cheap and unfinished in areas with obvious tool marks and burs. Mine ran okay (usually), but his doesn't get through 3 mags in a row (one of his mags busted apart in the mag well). I wouldn't buy another auto from them because of my experience, but like I said, there are a lot of guys who like them and have no problems. Papabear loves his!

When I was shopping for a 1911 platform to carry, I looked briefly at the Taurus because the price is hard to ignore. I quickly decided against it as my bad experience with their autos and the fact that they use their own spec for the extractor took them out of the running for me. I think I would give a Springfield Loaded a real hard look before making any decision. In the end, I went with a Colt Combat Elite and haven't looked back!
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

thank you everyone,
this purchase is a little down the road but doing alittle homework is always a good thing right?
price is an issue so ill be on the lookout for a deal and im not opposed to other 1911 platforms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I've read a little about the Firestorm 1911 Deluxe. These aren't made by Llama, which did have a Firestorm name. These are actually the original spec type. They run around $430 and have real good reviews on the internet. Imported from the Philippines by Metro Arms Corp. I'm seriously interested in one, but I've decided against it since I really don't think I need a .45 ACP since I have a bunch of other handgus already and it would just be another caliber I'd have to reload.

FWIW - http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I have one of the Firestorms made by Llama.it is a neat 45. no problems at all,eats everything ,shoots great.Really like it,more then I thought I would..Back to the Taurus my only regret is I didnt get one when they first came out. I have shot a friends and it is a sweet sweet weapon.
Firestorm 1911
riceinwa

Post by riceinwa »

I purchased a Taurus PT1911AR last year and it has been one of the best weapons I've owned. A very good gunsmith I know who specializes in 1911s told me the Taurus was one of the best he'd seen.
I did however, trade it to a friend for a Colt 1911 Officer Model because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the Colt but could shoot the PT1911 very well (all in his mind, I think). I have looked at another Taurus as a full-size 1911, but have been lusting after a S&W 1911. If price is a consideration (and it almost always is), you'd be hard pressed to find a better 1911 than the PT1911AR (with or without dustcover lower rail).
stover

Post by stover »

Bought a Taurus when they first arrived locally for $450. It shoots and carries well, great gun especially for what I paid. Not a single issue in about 1000 rounds. I hope they get around to making a Commander or Officer size soon, in Titanium would be even better.