Mosin Nagant collecting

Use this section for all other firearms
dom

Mosin Nagant collecting

Post by dom »

Any other members out there that have a fondness for the old Russian bolt guns? Alot of fun to collect and shoot, surplus ammo is plentiful, and they can double as a big game rifle with enough range practice. You can even add a scope if you're old and half blind like me. :D
I'm up to 7 now and hopefully will someday soon find the willpower to quit buying.

A group pic of my M38 laminates.
1932 Tula Hex refinished with BLO and Fiebings #121 med. brown leather dye

M38 and M44 both refinished with 50/50 mix Watco danish oil & Mineral spirits
mikana

Re: Mosin Nagant collecting

Post by mikana »

I'm very fond of the MN carbines too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0Llm0S ... re=related
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I have a fondness for all MN and then some, thanks for sharing those really nice photo's, good looking guns.

Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

While I'm not an MN junky like some, I have three and love them. I bought an ex-PEM sniper and ex-PU sniper purely by accident and they both shoot well. I was regularly plunking a metal 24x24 ram (was probably smaller) at 500 yards with iron sights from a semi-kneeling position.
I credit the rifles with that more than I do myself. I constantly fight the urge to buy a fourth and make it an even number of MNs I have.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I really the MN and have a few they are one of my favorites, but they are much better if you have a Nagant 95 to go with em
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

ANJ,

Oh I agree, here are a couple of my favorites, 1916 Peter the Great Nagant M95 and a MN 91/38.

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

I'm not really a long gun fan, but I do have one M44. Neat old gun and a lot of fun to shoot.

-S
max30109

Post by max30109 »

I bought one more for looks than anything figuring I'd hang it on the wall as a conversation piece. But after cleaning it up I'm hooked. Need to do a bit more work before I have the nerve to actually fire it, but it's only a matter of time. These are cool old guns...

Max
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

Have a 91/30,M44 and M38. Probably will be all I gather. I am not a collectorper say. More of a "gatherer" of Milsurp arms. Oh yes. Have a Nagant revolver. Why? They were cheap. And I think a bit unique.
BTW. Some advice for any youngsters getting into the Milsurp world. When something comes along and it is cheap, buy it!!!!!!!! Don't wait for a particular gun to become popular. Buy it while prices are cheap.
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

just two so far, M44 from 1946 and a M91/30 from 1943
I like the M44 the most, it's the loudest and looks nicer than the M91/30, and it also seems to be sighted in with the bayonet retracted.

Surplus ammo is plentiful in 54R caliber. Got about 3K rds, mostly Bulgarian, with Czech, Bosnian, and Hungarian too

hvacken

Post by hvacken »

Thinking about picking one of these up, but I really want a carbine. Is it possible to pick up a cheap 91/30 and convert it to a carbine? Any idea what's involved? Thanks!
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

yes you can convert one....but please dont, unless your absotuley sure its not collectable (no numbers matching, not a fin marked, and a something like a 1942 date as there was the most made that year). but honestly just get an m44 or m38 or 91/59( this is a 91/30 that the russians cut down in 59).
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

As far as finding one that's "collectable" that's probably fairly tough. Out of the buttloads I've seen, not one has been rare. However, mellisallen is right on one point, just find a carbine version. They cost roughly the same. M38's are supposedly drying up a bit. M44's are very common. The bayonet on the side turned me off on one of them and I finally located an M38. You can, however, chop the bayonet lug off with a hacksaw and use files and work it down to the contour of the rest of the barrel. But, your money is your money. If you want to buy the 91/30 and chop it down, go for it. You'll have a bad time putting a front sight back on it unless you get that ghetto plastic ATI front sight deal, or if you buy the scope mount kit... then you have to get the bolt handle kit as well. There's a lot to it.
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

if you completely remove the bayonet from the M44, you will most likely have to re-sight the gun, as most were sighted in with the bayonet extended
juniustaylor wrote:As far as finding one that's "collectable" that's probably fairly tough. Out of the buttloads I've seen, not one has been rare. However, mellisallen is right on one point, just find a carbine version. They cost roughly the same. M38's are supposedly drying up a bit. M44's are very common. The bayonet on the side turned me off on one of them and I finally located an M38. You can, however, chop the bayonet lug off with a hacksaw and use files and work it down to the contour of the rest of the barrel. But, your money is your money. If you want to buy the 91/30 and chop it down, go for it. You'll have a bad time putting a front sight back on it unless you get that ghetto plastic ATI front sight deal, or if you buy the scope mount kit... then you have to get the bolt handle kit as well. There's a lot to it.
smbob

Post by smbob »

Mosins are cool! Very addicting too. I don't do well with iron sights, so
I use a S&K scout mount with a Simmons 4X32mm Pro Hunter pistol
scope. It will hold right around 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards from the
bench with 203gr Silver Bear SP ammo.

Robert