Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power

Use this section for all other firearms
blackblade

Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power

Post by blackblade »

These are listed as "excellent" condition Argentine Hi-Power clones of the Browning Hi-Power that recently became available from the usual vendors. The Hi-Power license for the Argentine manufacture ended in 1989 and those made before 1990 can be considered as true Hi-Power handguns. These are Hi-Power handguns made after 1989 and are designated as M90 (for guns made in 1990 and later).They are made on the same equipment and from the same parts (thus the stamped "Hi-Power" on the slide.

They are a little finicky but are excellent shooters. I found them to be a little tight and require a little strength to rack the slide. The trigger on one is a little stiff, however, the other is excellent (I didn't measure the pull but it wasn't excessive). I may yet do a trigger job on them and polish the ramps.

I went to the range to test them out. It was partly cloudy, about 70F and a slight left to right cross-wind. I was most interested in how the guns functioned. I fired from 15 and 25 yards using the cheapest ammo possible (Blazer, PMC, Independence and Winchester):

At 15 yards the grouping is more than acceptable.

At 25 yards it gets less accurate but then I didn't concentrate on accuracy. Still, it doesn't look to bad at all.

I like the way the guns fit in my paws and although I did have two "fail to feed" in one gun, it could have easily been the magazine or the cheap ammo. Regardless, I recommend these handguns as less expensive alternatives to John Browning's Belgian made Hi-Powers.

- Black Blade
mirother

Re: Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power

Post by mirother »

blackblade,
Did you buy these from J&G? I know that they have them. The last that I checked they were not rated as highly as I would think. The major problems seem to be feeding problems and a loose front sight that quickly works its way off. I take it that you have had no problem with the sight.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

mirother wrote:blackblade,
Did you buy these from J&G? I know that they have them. The last that I checked they were not rated as highly as I would think. The major problems seem to be feeding problems and a loose front sight that quickly works its way off. I take it that you have had no problem with the sight.
I got them from J&G Sales (SOG has themas well). I haven't had any problems with the sight but did have a "fail to feed" on one magazine of Blazer ammo. I should get out and shoot some more but on both occassions they functioned well (except for the one time that I replced the guide rod spring upside down after cleaning - oops).
mirother

Post by mirother »

blackblade,
Thanks for the info. It is helpful.
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by piaggior »

Darn, for the price those are beautiful!
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

If I was in the market for a High Power type pistol, I'd be all over these. I LOVE my High Powers.
Congrats.
tman11787

Post by tman11787 »

BB,
Very well done. Thank you !

Would anyone care to comment on the relative quality of either the Argentine M90 vs the FEG PJK-9hps...?

Thanks
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay guys, thanks for the heads up, been looking for one for some time now, really appreciate the posting.
G.R.
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

Picked mine up from the local FFL today, need to take her out on the range to see how well she performs.

Anyone try different grips on these yet? It looks like the rubber won't last too much longer on my right-hand panel. I imagine there's a good change normal FN High Power grips will work on these? Also, as Dennis doesn't have any grips for High Powers, anyone know of other good wood grip makers (good to deal with, etc.) to try?
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

primarchbentley wrote:Picked mine up from the local FFL today, need to take her out on the range to see how well she performs.

Anyone try different grips on these yet? It looks like the rubber won't last too much longer on my right-hand panel. I imagine there's a good change normal FN High Power grips will work on these? Also, as Dennis doesn't have any grips for High Powers, anyone know of other good wood grip makers (good to deal with, etc.) to try?
There are several aftermarket grip available:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/brhicobochgr.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... aign=10613

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/produc ... Power.html

http://www.grips4guns.com/pistol/browni ... power.html

Beautiful custom handmade grips by Hakan Pek (Norway) contact him via his site for prices:

http://imageseek.com/hakan/

And finally, check out Gunbroker for "Hi Power Grips" and there are several to look over.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I had to polish the ramp on my FEG, after that no problems with JHP's. Will eat just about anything. I just have a 'HandAll on the stock grips. It's the most natural pointing pistol I have, just somehow feels right in your hand. I'd never exprienced that before, it was kind of shock/pleasent surprize.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

UPDATE:

Well I like the first two so much that I bought two more. These I also bought from J&G Sales except these were the "very good" condition (the first two were "excellent" condition". To tell the truth I don't see any difference between the "very good" and "excellent" condition handguns except the price. From what I know now, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the "excellent" condition - that said, I am happy with my choices as they are a pleasure to shoot and feel comfortable to shoot.

This afternoon I went to my gun club with a couple friends and decided to test out some recent acquisitions. It was mostly cloudy with a slight northwest cross-wind and approaching storm coulds over the mountains.

I had originally thought about calling it "The Day of the Nines". (left to right 9x17, 9x18, 9x19 and 9x23) but didn't have enough time.

I found them all to be fairly consistent ate about 25 yards. I typically shot slightly low and to the left before getting accustomed to my aim.

I still recommend these over getting a Belgian Browning Hi-Power considering the price. I don't really see that much difference but I would recommend having the mag safety disconnect removed to get the "drop free mag" capability and to lighten up and smooth smooth out the trigger (although I find one of the new guns has a light tigger pull resulting in some inadvertent "double taps" out of the box). Overall I was quite impressed with these guns and given the that the price is right - I give them two thumbs up.

- Black Blade