AK-74 and 5.45x39

Use this section for all other firearms
rottenrick

AK-74 and 5.45x39

Post by rottenrick »

Hey guys

Any one have any input on the AK-74?? I'm looking at buying one from J&G, the ammo is cheap. The AK design is solid. Just would like some input. Thanks in advance.
Arik

Re: AK-74 and 5.45x39

Post by Arik »

Overall its a lot like the 223/5.56. Low recoil, small cal, fast, meant to transfer all its energy inside soft tissue. I dont know about the commercial stuff but the surplus ammo has a hollow cavity in the tip forcing the bullet to drop once it hits soft tissue. Afghans called it the poison bullet for its ability to enter the chest and come out the ass ripping through everything along the way. More accurate than the x39 but it wont win you any competitions.

Its drawbacks are ...
It only works when it works. Meaning that if it goes through and through there isnt much stopping power.
Barriers pose a problem for it too.
Cant reload
Not a lot of ammo options. Not every store carries it. If you have to order the price comes out to about the same as the 5.56
Surplus IS corrosive. If that bothers you.

That being said. Its still an AK. Mags are cheap ($15-$30) more or less.
I had one and it was a great AK but I recently sold it to consolidate on ammo.

All the stuff above is only opinion. Some people lover that caliber while others wont take anything less than a 308. However I will say MAKE SURE ITS NOT A CENTURY MADE AK! Not to dump on Century but if you are buying their AKs I would recommend that you see it before you buy it. They tend to have canted front sights, canted gas blocks, canted rear sight blocks (trunions). The rivets that hold the fire control group tend to be too small or the holes too big and the rivets will work themselves out as you are shooting. If the gap is to big they might work themselves out as you go down the road and the rifle is in your trunk. The finish is so-so (opinion) it matters a lot to some people, to me it really doesnt. An AK is like a hammer, a tool meant to be used and abused not a shiny wall ornament. But it shouldnt wash off with water either

Century has had many problems with their CETMEs and FALs. The only reason their AKs still work is because its an AK. It will work as long as the parts are there and in more or less the right place. My old Century Romy RPK once had the hammer rivet come out and the rifle still fired with the hammer half crooked and leaning on inside of the reciever on an angle.

Although it is possible to get a lemon anywhere, most builders are compotent. Centry turns them out so fast they tend to have problems. IMO I would only buy a Century made AK if I first held it in my hands.

Hope this Helps
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Thanks Arik, I'm told the round does have an air bubble just under the jacket tip that causes the projectile to yaw and tumble, like a buzz saw. Might be just the thing against two legged animals. There are no soft points on the market. What would be the use?? The recoils seems to be very mild from videos I've seen.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Aim has the ammo cheap and even with shipping you're ahead of the game. I've a Century built Tantal AK74, and so far no problems with keyholing or any other issues. It sounds like these were hit or miss, I lucked out with a good one it seems. Good Luck!!
SAS Mayhem

Post by SAS Mayhem »

also google classicarms inc, great ammo prices and AK too
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

www.classicarms.us < that's where SAS Mayhem is referring you to. They normally have some real good prices on merchandise.
SAS Mayhem

Post by SAS Mayhem »

juniustaylor wrote:http://www.classicarms.us < that's where SAS Mayhem is referring you to. They normally have some real good prices on merchandise.
Cheers juniustaylor, I'm at work so I can't pull up most weapon sites, there blocked.
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
kargo27

Post by kargo27 »

Arik has summed it up pretty darn well. I have 2 Century AK's (47's not the 74's) and was very fortunate that they were put together correctly. I love those things and have a fondess for Comblock weapons, thanks to the AK.

I also have a Century HK93 clone (C93) that was a disaster out of the box. The barrel and trunion weren't fitted and pinned correctly and the bolt gap was at zero. I had to send it off to a gunsmith to repress and pin (if I'm using the right terms). He ended up putting on a G3 barrel and now it's great.

From what I've been told Century contracts out to different builders for their guns, or at least for the C93. I've heard also that the builder who made the C93's is no longer contracted by Century because they turned out some shoddy rifles.

Back the AK's. Arik is right about being able to hold one before you buy it (Century). There are many other manufacturers out there that have better builds. I like my Century ones because they're cheap! They look like hell but they're rugged and rough and that's the charm.

I just checked out the J&G Sales website and for $370, why the heck not???

Classic Arms is selling the AK-47 right now with 2 mags and some other crap included for $350. http://www.classicarms.us/ It looks to have the NATO length stock, not the Warsaw. Nice!

On the same site, you can get 1080 rds of 5.45x39 ammo for $160.
Karl
Ft. Worth, TX

"If you've denied a person the means of self-defense, then you've also denied them the right of self-defense." Alan Gottlieb, Founder, Second Amendment Foundation.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx
$370
3 30-round mags
composite stock
US made barrel and stamped receiver