Tagua Leather Holster

Use this section for all other firearms
michaelap

Tagua Leather Holster

Post by michaelap »

Has anyone had any experiences with Tagua leather? I bought one for my .40 Springfield xd (full size) and it seems too tight, of course I have never used new leather all my holsters were broken in (already used).
michaelap

Re: Tagua Leather Holster

Post by michaelap »

dfunk
Have you gotten any closer on that mold? I'd order one in a hurry.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

You can keep holstering it and working with the leather. There are some companies that sell leather break-in treatments. You spray it on and put it in an oven. I opt for just putting the gun in the holster and using my hands I work it real good. I make holsters for myself and friends... I've never messed with Tagua leather products though. I'm sure it's just as good as any other holster out there. They're relatively all the same, price is the only thing that sets them apart. Whether you use super expensive leather or economy grade makes little difference in functionality and durability. It will affect the appearance though, but IMO that's a very minor attribute. A holster that I make will probably outlive me and I'd sell for $30 or so it just depends on the type. My only problem is that since I'm just a regular guy that makes them as a hobby, I don't have the fancy dummy guns to use as patterns. So, I rely on the person to either 1. lend me their pistol or 2. use a previous paper pattern for a gun I've already used in the past if it's the same kind. Maybe when I get out of the military in the next few months I can have a bit more time to devote to leather work. Working random 12-14 hour days just doesn't leave me much time.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Boomer
I know you have seen plenty of new leather along the way. I remember breaking in new baseball gloves when I was a boy but I don't think I want the family wagon driving over it a few times in the driveway!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I tell people who buy my stuff to wrap their pistol in some waxed paper, wax side out, and holster it repeatedly until you get the draw you're looking for. I advise against using any liquid, powder, or chemical that promises a faster draw.
juniustaylor wrote:They're relatively all the same, price is the only thing that sets them apart. Whether you use super expensive leather or economy grade makes little difference in functionality and durability.
I totally disagree with this. I've used both ends of the spectrum, and I can tell you first hand that the leather you use makes almost all of the difference in the world when it comes to holstermaking. When I first started making holsters for myself, I opted to use some economy grade leather that had lots of brands and scars. It really made no difference, as I cut around the imperfections, but then after working with it, realized that some imperfections can't been seen, like fat deposits. This can affect retention depending on where the soft spot is.

After trying many different brands of leather from several countries, I'm totally convinced that the best is Hermann Oak, grown and tanned right here in the USA (they're one of the few US tanneries producing veg tan that are left). Yes, it's more expensive, but it holds it's shape, takes dye, cuts, stamps, and looks better than anything you'd ever find at your local Tandy store. Each piece, with the exception of an anomaly here and there, behaves like the last. Consistency is very important in leather. The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

JT, I didn't start off buying any dummy guns, and I do this as a hobby, as well. It all comes from 1 holster to the next, and I literally had cracked and bleeding hands from hand-stitching so many of these to afford the blue guns, supplies, and eventually, my machine.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Maybe some day I'll get around to buying the more expensive stuff for experimenting. The darn stuff costs way too much and it looks like you have to buy it in bulk (a few hundred dollars at a time). However, in the meantime, we'll just have to agree to disagree. For the purpose that I use my leather for, the economy grade is just as good as anything else. So far all the leather I've bought from Tandy has been pretty darn good. Did you have to order and have it shipped? Maybe that was your problem. I physically go into the store and pick out the piece that I want. Guess that's why I don't have a problem with it. "The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason" -- somebody's gotta buy it, and someone will have a use for it.

The spray stuff I mentioned was something that is used on baseball gloves and such. It was just an idea. Good advice on using wax paper, wax side out.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I have one for my S&W 642. It's ok' well made, but not as good as a dfunk creation.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

No worries. I just advise against using anything that will loosen up and break in a baseball glove, as it will do the same thing to your holster. Bye-bye retention!

The only time I've ever bought things from Tandy are when I go in myself - I don't trust anyone's judgment there when it comes to picking out a hide for me. For some simple supplies, they're good to have around, but there's no comparison between the leather you get at Tandy versus the Hermann Oak or Wickett & Craig. Let me dig around in the shop in a few days and I'll see if I have any scrap I can send your way for you to play with. For dye, I really like Angelus. There's hardly anything to have to buff off after application and it penetrates well.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

dfunk wrote:No worries. I just advise against using anything that will loosen up and break in a baseball glove, as it will do the same thing to your holster. Bye-bye retention!

The only time I've ever bought things from Tandy are when I go in myself - I don't trust anyone's judgment there when it comes to picking out a hide for me. For some simple supplies, they're good to have around, but there's no comparison between the leather you get at Tandy versus the Hermann Oak or Wickett & Craig. Let me dig around in the shop in a few days and I'll see if I have any scrap I can send your way for you to play with. For dye, I really like Angelus. There's hardly anything to have to buff off after application and it penetrates well.
Thanks for the offer dfunk. I've never heard of that dye, may have to try it. I use the Fiebings stuff for right now.
robalan

Post by robalan »

michaelap wrote:Boomer
I know you have seen plenty of new leather along the way. I remember breaking in new baseball gloves when I was a boy but I don't think I want the family wagon driving over it a few times in the driveway!
Baseball grove, yes I remember that, but I can go one better I think. There is a movie named Hannie Caulder with Requel Welch. She put some oversized leather pants on and sat in a tub of water to shrink them down to fit like a glove. Robert Culp was in the movie too. He did a really good acting job and I watch the movie every once in awhile.

But I guess that water idea would not really be good for a gun and holster.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

local gun shop guys gave me Ballistol to rub on and It has made a good deal of progress. I also took an old white t shirt and put it over the gun then left in the holster for a couple nights. Still hard to draw and holster when it is on my belt but I'm getting there.