bolt cam for 22 revolver

Use this section for all other firearms
daytonaknight

bolt cam for 22 revolver

Post by daytonaknight »

I have an old H. Shmidt small frame single action .22 revolver that I found in my attic about 20 years ago. It has been sitting in a drawer for ages now because I have one heck of a time just loading it. The bolt won't stay down.

I decided to make it into a learning experience. Something that if I Bubba'd it up, no loss and in the process, I might just learn a thing or two. So I took it completely apart.

I found the bolt cam worn down to the point it barely caught the arm of the bolt. I ordered a new action kit (hammer, bolt, trigger, screws, etc.) but something about it isn't exactly right. The old hammer had a cam that was pressed into the hammer. The new hammer has a cam that is slightly larger and cast in. I assembled it anyway and now the bolt works but something is just not right. The trigger pulls at half cocked and the hammer drags - right about the point that the arm of the bolt would be going up the ramp on the cam.

I drove the worn cam out of the old hammer and made a new one out of a zinc plated steel rod using a makeshift lathe (electric drill and dremil). I put it all back together with the old hammer and homemade cam. Now, everything appears to be working as it should.

Now, I'm concerned about the homemade cam. I searched internet for a possible replacement but could find none. Is steel OK or should it be something harder or softer?