Kel-tec 2000 carbine in 40 s&w

Use this section for all other firearms
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kel-tec 2000 in 40 s&w?
I'm thinking of purchasing one that takes Glock 22 mags, and getting a Glock 22 as a companion gun. I've never owned either one.
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

rottenrick, fwiw I have the KT Sub 2K in 9mm with the S&W59 magazine. Bought it several years ago on a whim @ a gun show and have not regretted it. I get long gun accuracy with a pistol round out to 25 yds (limit of my indoor range), practically no recoil, and I've yet to experience a malfunction of any kind. Just don't shoot aluminum cased ammo in them. I'd like to buy another one in .40 S&W but they're kinda hard to find; since I got mine haven't seen another one at a gun show or in any gun store around here.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I've seen one in 9mm beretta mag. The guy wanted $600.00 for it. J&G has some alloted to them. I'll order through them to my local gun store. The owner told me that's where he'ed get it if I ordered thru him. Gun Broker has them too. I'd like to get the glock mag model, can order 29rd. mags for it. But, maybe a S&W if I can find one. Thank you hangfire.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I don't have a Sub 2000 but I've been looking at them recently.
Vance's in Columbus, OH had the 9 mm version last month for $300 ( www.vanceoutdoors.com ).
I have a Beretta CX-4 carbine in 40 S&W that has been great.
The pistol caliber carbines work well out to 100 yards.
I doubt you will regret adding one or more to your collection.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

That's the version I own. Glock .40 mags.
Works great.
The 9mm has the advantage of cheaper ammo and flatter shooting round though.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

If you cast your own bullets from free lead (wheel weights or lead from the bunkers at the range), the 9 mm and the 40 S&W can be loaded for 4 to 6 cents a round.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I was thinking along the lines of having a good combo in a travel bag. Some thing that has a little punch to it, yet be handy enough. Maybe right about the 9mm though, pretty plentyful ammo. Too bad they don't make one in .45 ACP that takes 1911 mags. Can't have everything I guess. Thanks guy's.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I also thought about having a leather or cordura shoulder bag made, so you could throw it over your shoulder,crossways. Have a pouch it the back for the folded carbine, in the front have four magazine pouches (33rd in 9mm, or 29rd .40 s&w). Remember the German MP38 or MP40 mag carriers??? Kinda' like that except a carbine pouch in the back, stowed vertically. Maybe it's not workable, might be too long.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I wanted one for years but didn't make a move until recently. Picked one up for around $300 used in 9mm, Glock 17 version.

The best recommendation I can give is this, my 22 year old son came to the range with me and told me how silly it was, he couldn't believe I wasted $300 on it. Then he started shooting it... :o...about 200 rounds later I had to pry it out of his hands. He loved it, accurate as anything, he was plinking the steel plate easily at 100 yards.

It is a novelty but well built and fun to shoot. Mine has the recoil buffer, cocking handle cover, recoil tube cover, butt pad extension and KT storage case. I'm trying to convince myself to spend the $120 to buy the new Quad Rail system Kel Tec has started offering...but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Grab one and enjoy...I'm not a 40 cal fan so I stuck with the 9mm.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I saw a 9mm at the gun show Saturday, found I had a problem with a cheek weld and acquiring a good sight picture, I couldn't get my eye low enough to pick up the front and rear sights and the target. Also I wasn't comfortable with the length of the stock, the butt did not fit well into my shoulder and I was generally uncomfortable with the feel of the weapon. I seen how accurate the little rifle is and would buy one if those issues can be over come.
I've always known I have a big nose, but I didn't think my melon was to big for the rest of me! :)
G.R.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I know of two people, myself and some gun writer, who had filings fall out of their upper right side teeth after shooting the Kel-Tec Subby with a proper cheek weld. I use more of a lower jaw weld.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OUCH!
G.R.