Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Has anyone invested in the Cobra Patriot 45? If you have I would be interested in your comments. I have been fallowing the design iterations of this pistol and have been impressed with the shear genius of the designer. There is no hammer, hammer strut or hammer spring in the design. The designer, Nehemiah Sirkis, is a true genius. (Please ignore the mis-spelling of the name if incorrect.) The number of parts missing from the design is surely why the manufacturer can produce the item so inexpensively.
I'm sure the fit and finish are not up to top of the line manufacturers standards. I am also interested to see if the design can be improved with simple part smoothing and polishing with the correct use of oil and silicon grease at the appropriate areas. At one time I questioned the lack of metal on the rail's, but after learning that Ruger does not use any metal on its Polymer riles I took a second look at the design with a less jaundiced eye.
Anyhow, if you own one please fess up and give us your honest opinion of the item. Has it improved with use? Has the trigger pull improved, has the accuracy improved? Do you think it is acceptable for a carry pistole? Inquiring minds want to know?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on October 21st, 2007, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oscarmayer711

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by oscarmayer711 »

a direct copy of the cat 45 which is a copy of the sirkus a sweet 9mm made in isreal a while back ( 80's) had a cat 45 junk, had a sirkus in 9mm sweet gun afraid of anything made by davis/cobra
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

My understanding is that the Cobra Patriot .45 was designed by Nehemia Sirkis. Sirkis was a member of the Israeli national shooting team for 20 years and won the Israeli title seven times during his athletic career.

Sirkis is supposed to be one of the world's foremost weapons designers? Would I put him in the same class as Browning and other's, not yet.........but time will tell. In 1997, he joined Kimber of America, one of the world's top gun manufacturers (located in Yonkers, New York). So that does lend a lot of credit in his behalf.

I guess the Cobra Patriot is a OK pistol, I couldn't say one way or there other, I personally have to agree with oscarmayer, the Davis/Cobra/HI Point etc pistols are not my cup of tea, and I am by no means trying to put them down, or act like I live to high on the hog to own such pistols. I know some that carry all those pistols, and they like em, I have shot some of them also and they functioned ok, no problems, but as a carry or self-defense pistol, I'm sorry, no way would I trust my life with them, as a plinker or something along those lines, then they might be ok.

I also know that many said the same thing about the P-64 at one time or the other, many have changed their minds and some have not, so it is all a matter of choice and what you like or dislike. I see no problem with getting a Cobra Patriot in any caliber and giving it a try, especially in .45acp one of my favorite rounds, the price is right, [$150] so go for it and and let us know what you think of it.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
oscarmayer711

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by oscarmayer711 »

thanks for the correct spelling sirkis, and as i said the 9mm sirkis was one hell of a gun. and like pappabear i'm no gun snob. if i was i'd be carrying a ppk or sig 230/232 rather than a p-64. but the davis/cobra from my understanding have bad reputations
oscarmayer711

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by oscarmayer711 »

one final thought if my old memory serves me correctly the detonics pocket 9 was a direct copy of the sirkis and was well thought of
markie

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by markie »

cobra patriot 45 yes, i own one love it ;D about 500 rds through it . works great
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

markie,
Your the fourth person I have spoken with who owns one and not a negative comment yet about newest generation pistols. How is the trigger pull, how is the accuracy and would you by one again after owning this one?
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by himmel »

There's a yahoo group dedicated to the Republc Patriot (same pistol, Cobra bought out Republic or some such)--maybe you can find some answers there. You can find the link at mouseguns.com in their "Affordable guns" section...
gundummy

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by gundummy »

oscarmayer711 wrote:a direct copy of the cat 45 which is a copy of the sirkus a sweet 9mm made in isreal a while back ( 80's) had a cat 45 junk, had a sirkus in 9mm sweet gun afraid of anything made by davis/cobra

Gotta love those experts who have obviously never seen one much less owned one.
The "Cat" is simular only in outward appearence and then only if your near sighted! The Cat uses a straight pull trigger system simular to a 1911 except DAO.
The Patriot is a completely different pistol. They Pioneered the use of the "melonite" coating process which I see S&W will sell you on their pistols as a $50 option. I think the patriot 45 (NOT to be confused with the patriot 380 or patriot 9 which are rewarmed ASP designs) is the best kept secret in a CCW pistol BARE NONE!
Light ,reliable THIN, and friendly to carry. If you take an hour or so and a foot of emery cloth and smooth the trigger face, sand of the ugly uncomfortable "Finger groove" from the front of the grip frame. and you have an almost perfect carry piece. If you go ahead and polish the ramp on the barrel, it will reliably feed most hollowpoints and ALL of mine would feed the excellent Aguila IQ HP flawlessly.
JMHO
big54r

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by big54r »

I've seen them and thought about one as a truck gun in case of theft so I wouldn't be out much but never 'pulled the trigger' so to speak.

wouldn't mind a more in depth review of this pistol from someone who has one.
dwd

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by dwd »

gunnyrabbit started a thread on this gun in the "other firearms" section of this forum that goes on for 10 pages. You might find it interesting reading. suffice to say they thought it was a good weapon. I have no experience with it.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
rottenrick

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by rottenrick »

I hefted one at a gun show in Lakeland FL. a couple of years ago. It felt good in my hand not too heavy. Don't have a clue how they shoot. I have broad hands, but stubby fingers, so not every pistol feels right. I prefer single stack for controlability. But had no problem with the Patriot. The exception to the double stack pistols is my HI-PWR. Now, it just feels like an extention of my arm. I favor it over all others, but then I haven't received my P-64 yet. 54r don't see how you go wrong if it's what you want. Life is short, eat dessert first.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

big54r, the trigger on my Cobra is so smooth and light now it is a joy to shoot. The accuracy is as good or better than most double actions and improves with use. My pistol shoots best with 185gr Bear Creek Moly coated lead flat nose 45acp bullets, accuracy is excellent out to about thirty-eight feet doing speed drills and that is what this weapon was designed for; it is not a target pistol and if that is what your expecting you will be disappointed.
Good lick ,
Gunney Rabbit.
sinbad

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by sinbad »

Owned a Republic Arms Patriot 45 years ago and was nice for the price and I hammered it hard for awhile and it took it and was accurate on top of that. Sold it and have been wishing I would have hung on to it now. Needed cash at the time, oh well..
markie

Cobra Patriot 45acp?

Post by markie »

still love my cobra trigger pull is a heavy 20 to 21 lbs. its my ccw