45 AUTOS

Use this section for all other firearms
daven

45 AUTOS

Post by daven »

Actually my $300 Norinco Model of 1911A eats anything and the metal is rock hard. Unfortunately no longer imported. Dave_n
odonoma

45 AUTOS

Post by odonoma »

I am quite surprised by the positive RIA feedback. I guess I was under the impression that it was a "cheap copy" and therefore not reliable. I had the same experience before purchasing the PA-63, which has turned out to be a great buy.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

45 AUTOS

Post by normsutton »

Mark

some of the high end manufactures . use Armscor frames in their guns, so why not buy one that are not so pricey

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
odonoma

45 AUTOS

Post by odonoma »

Interesting. I agree. I think the RIA may be my next purchase.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Incidentally, I spent a couple of months in your neck of the woods a few years ago. I used to be a consultant with a company who did a lot of mosquito control after you guys had all those hurricanes come through there that one year. I lived there for about 3 months.

Take care- Mark
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

45 AUTOS

Post by normsutton »

Mark

if your ever this way again drop on by always glade to see a member

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
odonoma

45 AUTOS

Post by odonoma »

Norm

Sounds great. I will do that. Same goes if you ever make it up to the Charlotte area. I have a great free range, it is outdoors, but up to 300 yards for the long guns.

Mark
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

45 AUTOS

Post by blinddog »

No one has mentioned a Springfield Amory. I have had several over the years and I really like them. When SA got the contract for the FBI I got one of the civilian types (blued) and it is great. I gave my brother in law my mil spec SA that came out a while back. He put Marine Corps grips on it. He is a retired Master Chief Gunny, house is all semper fi. He really likes the way it shoots. Got off track, SA IMO is a fine .45.
rfaudree

45 AUTOS

Post by rfaudree »

odonoma,what about the Glock trigger dont you like and why couldnt you hit anything with it.Just curious.-Robert
rfaudree

45 AUTOS

Post by rfaudree »

Norm,when you have time could you show a width comp. between RIA and PA-63.Also could you show all the same comp. between PA-63 and P-64.Thanks-Robert
Last edited by rfaudree on May 1st, 2009, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

45 AUTOS

Post by normsutton »

I have wood grips on just about all my hand guns
P-64 over top and RIA compact

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

45 AUTOS

Post by papabear »

rfaudree wrote:papabear,nice 43 Remington,very nice.Im sure you dont, but if you ever want to get rid of that one let me know.

rfaudree,

Thanks for the offer and your kind comment, however, this Remington is the one my dad carried in WWII as a Flying Tiger, so its a family heirloom that will stay in the family.

Regards,
Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
odonoma

45 AUTOS

Post by odonoma »

Hey Robert-
Apologies for being a few days getting back.

I think what it does is exaggerate my shooting flaws. I have a tendency to shoot a little to the right (edge of "10 ring" consistently). I can eat up the target, but always 1/2-1" to the right depending how far I am shooting. I am right handed, but left eye dominant. Though I shoot with both eyes open (of course), I think that causes my flaw. With the "DA" pull, I think b/c I have more pull on the trigger it tends to put it 2-3" to the right. I used to own a Glock full size .45 (model 21 I think) and had to sell it due to that. I grew up shooting my Dad's service .45, a ppk, and revolvers so I am more used to the DA/SA. FYI- my DA pull on my Beretta and Sig have the same problem.\

If anyone has any ideas on ways to overcome this, please let me know.

Mark
rfaudree

45 AUTOS

Post by rfaudree »

Have you tried to learn how to shoot left handed.If you become profecent it could solv your problem.Your main problem is probly trigger squez if you shoot to the right with every thing.A bad habet is hard to break.You want to sqeezz with your whole hand with a cunvusive grip when you pull the trigger.Because of the travel of the trigger on these p-64s you want to squez on the trigger untill it starts to ingage then with a fliued motion continue to sqez with finger and whole hand.You can even pull trigger part way untill it starts to ingage and wait as long as you want then squez.On s action you shoud have no problem.You are doing something right when you are pulling the trigger and without seeing you shoot I dont know.There is a chart on this forum I think posted by popabear that has a ring and depending on where the hole is it will tell you what you are doing wrong.You could always compensate knowing you shoot to the right,Just shoot a little to the left every time.If you are only 2-4 inces off at 25 feet you dont have to fine tune much you just have to figure out what to do.I would reavaluate the way you shoot spec your grip and trigger pull.Hope this helps.I still wouldnt want to get shoot 2-3 inces off center.
rfaudree

45 AUTOS

Post by rfaudree »

Papabear.Thats a great story.Do you have pics of your dad in military unaform with the gun.Id like to see any pics of your dad in military unis.Do you have children.Im sure you would want someone special to end up with it.I would put together a presintation case with pics,patches,medals,ect.. and gun.Have you shoot it?If so how much?I have seen guys with there dads 45s from WWll and they look like they havent been fired.Some holster were but bore still has plating in groves.I have a bachler of fine arts degree with a consintration in sculpture and I can do all kinds of stuff exept spell..I could make you a presentation box with everything you want in it that you could hang on the wall.Wow I love this stuff.Both my grandfathers were in WWll.My fathers dad was in army and when they found out he worked for the RxR with punch cards in the off. they sent him to the pentagon.My moms dad was a 2nd Lu in the signal core and he was on a small island in the south pacific directing planes.He was in charge of a small group.Buy the time his small group got there the marines had cleard the island but he would tell me storys of jap fighter attacts.He came home with everything plus a jap rifle and one full box of jap ammo and I meen an army box,and a jap flag.No off to any jap P-64 guys.All that will belong to me someday.He was also a policeman and a sherif and we have his police service revolver.He first took me hunting when I was 6.My first gun was a side by side 410.Then when I was 10 he bought me a singal shot 20g.I didnt want to stop shooting the 410.But I came to love the 20g.Then when I was 15 he started letting me shot his side by side 12g.This doesnt count deer.I shot my first deer when I was 12 with a 30-40 krag.I have all these guns still,The 20g. is still in the box with papers and a pair of blaze orange gloves and hat.He kept all his suff that way and thats how he taught me.Clean and put everything back in its box.Id like to here some more good storys so keep wrighting guys.-Robert
Last edited by rfaudree on May 3rd, 2009, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneCC

Re: 45 AUTOS

Post by GeneCC »

blinddog wrote:No one has mentioned a Springfield Amory. I have had several over the years and I really like them. When SA got the contract for the FBI I got one of the civilian types (blued) and it is great. I gave my brother in law my mil spec SA that came out a while back. He put Marine Corps grips on it. He is a retired Master Chief Gunny, house is all semper fi. He really likes the way it shoots. Got off track, SA IMO is a fine .45.
I carried an SA for four years. Basic Government model, Parkerized finish.

The pistol was very reliable and attractive. The pistol was also very heavy, hard to conceal and probably would have landed me in a penitentiary if I tried to use it in a self defense situation.

No, I"m not a Lawyer. I just figure that a lot of Jurors would see that pistol and think "Combat" and not "self defense". I agree that this is a silly idea to even think about, since the 45 Auto is a wonderful self defense handgun but I know that DAs will do what it takes to win a case. Telling Jurors that I was a young kid out "looking for combat" and "Finding it" would have required legal finesse to parry.

Besides which that 230 gr hardball really over penetrates. Through the assailant and down the street to go God knows where. Use anything else and who can say if it would be reliable? That was back in the 1980s... things are different today.

I carry a 380 or 38 special. They're small, reliable and with the right ammunition will incapacitate. I figure their handguns that a "civilian" would carry so maybe the Jury might be inclined to let me go because I was "fighting back" and not "looking for combat".

Gene