Taurus PT1911 Improvement

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

A while back I picked up a LNIB Taurus PT1911, I have had some really good experiences with the older Taurus revolver's, I've had two of the older '90 range SS M85's, got rid of one back in '02, missed it so I got another one.

Back in late '07 I found this one at my local dealer and thought I'd give the PT1911 a chance to impress me too being the price was right [$450]. I was really impressed for the most part, its a really nice pistol and a lot of bang for the buck. However, after shooting it several times the flat MSH at the bottom corner of the grip fram was digging into the heal of my hand. I still shot if because I liked it but just not as much, finally after talking to Norm I decided to change out the flat MSH and put in a curved MSH .

On my Dec trip to Fla and getting to meet Norm my Taurus PT1911 became one of my favorite 1911's. He replaced the flat MSH and dropped in a new curved one, all the difference in the world for me, now I can change one more that I have on my RIA Tactical, and I'll be shooting it a lot more now.

Flat MSH

Curved MSH Norm put in.

Thanks Norm,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
olympus

Post by olympus »

I have the exact same gun, but I've never had a problem with the backstrap like that though. As long as it's doing better for you now, that's all that matters. I freaking love my Taurus 1911. It was a great intro model to the 1911 frame and the gun shoots as good as any other 1911 I've shot before. The finish on the blued model leaves something to be desired though.

I make some nice grips for the 1911 and they really dress up that blued model. Mine came with the black plastic grips too and you'd be amazed at how a different set of grips makes it look like a totally different gun.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

olympus,

Thanks for the reply, and I understand the about the flat back strap/MSH issue, several I've talked to like the flat MSH, it just doesn't work for me, guess my hands are too big, but then I've been use to the curved MSH on all my 1911 for many years now so I guess I'm set in my ways. As for wood grips on the PT1911 I completely agree, a different set of wood grips makes it look like a totally different gun.

Norm and anjdrifter both gave me a hard time about the black plastic grips that come on the PT1911, this set was custom made for me by a friend, laminated red oak. I use to have more 1911's than Norm, but in the last year he made my collection look small. I do like tGrip Guys grips also, well made and not expensive, I have several sets of them too.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

olympus

I think me and Papabear are use to shooting GI 1911 A1's that don't have the flat MSH, I know I am , all my 45 auto's have the arched these are some of the ones I have changed, the flat just don't feel right in our hands

I even changed the one on my RIA Compact

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

Post by olympus »

To each their own! If it works for you then go for it. I guess I've just never shot an arched before. I guess I've never even though about it because I've never had problems with mine. But I have relatively small hands so that could be why. One thing I'd like to change on my Taurus is to get rid of the roll marks on the side of the slide, or even change the slide out altogether for maybe a stainless one.

Good lookin guns too!
Last edited by olympus on February 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

I am looking to get a 1911 should I go with a colt or a taurus?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

brianintheup

it depend's on how much you want to spend

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

Any good sites to recommend for 1911 parts/info? My friend has a '70s Colt Combat Commander (w/ the lightweight frame), but doesn't like firing it (recoil, backstrap safety bugging his hand, etc) and wants to see what can be done to mod it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

primarchbentley

I get all my parts form http://www.brownells.com
here is the grip safety I use on mine

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... 911%20AUTO%
20BEAVERTAIL%20GRIP%20SAFETY&s=36912#36912

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM