Input please on 22LR

Use this section for all other firearms
oppy

Input please on 22LR

Post by oppy »

I am considering picking up a 22LR pistol to shoot occasionally in lieu of my P64, CZ82, Mak etc. Ideally, I would like one of similar size so it is not throwing me off when I shoot my 9x18s. My Ruger MKII just does NOT fit the bill.

Can anyone recommend a good 22 that is in the P64 - Makarov size? I have read of Bernardelli and Firestorm but availability of those seems iffy. Ideally, I would be looking at used and keeping a $200 ceiling.

BTW, I would also trade my Ruger if the situation arose.

Thanks all for your input!
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
big54r

Input please on 22LR

Post by big54r »

sorry but I don't know of any 22lr that is in the same size class as a p64 that is of any quality.

you could check out a small tip up barrel beretta, but I think they are in 25acp.

the only other option is one of the cheap lorcin,davis or phoenix type 22lr if they are still made, but quality is iffy.
lcberlin

Input please on 22LR

Post by lcberlin »

I have a Phoenix HP22 that is a very similar size. It has been a decent pistol for me. Recently it started having failure to fire issues, and a close inspection revealed that the firing pin pathway was worn pretty bad. I called the company, and they said send in the slide, it will be repaired and covered under the factory warranty.

It cost me $5 to mail it from Indiana to California. Will let you know when they return it, if you are interested.
dwd

Input please on 22LR

Post by dwd »

I have an FEG AP22(it also says mark II on it) that I really like. I just held it side-by-side with a p64 and it is almost exactly the same size and weight and the safety is the same too.
I really like the AP22. It is a really well made weapon the shoots good. My Sig Mosquito is my favorite semi auto 22 pistol but the AP22 is a very close 2nd.
They might be a little hard to find. I lucked across mine here on the "buy, sell or trade" thread. I was looking for a copy of the PA-63 but I never realized the p64 was so similar.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
davebaird

Input please on 22LR

Post by davebaird »

Would it be possible to get a description or pic of the AP22? I have never seen one.

Switching to a .22 for the range is not a bad idea in this economy at all. I have thought about it myself. My first academy homicide investigation was a murder with a .22 rifle. If I remember correctly, he was shot in the face at the doorway, the shot coming from the inside of the apartment. Poor guy rolled around for quite awhile until he finally bled out from internal bleeding. The bullet did not penetrate the skull (!!) but travelled under the skin and scalp making tunnels all around his head and through his sinuses. Because of that lesson I would never use a .22 for self-defense due to the length of time it took to incapacitate the subject. But range time would be just fine!
pshootr

Input please on 22LR

Post by pshootr »

A Walther PPK type steel or aluminum frame DA/SA pistol
Currently manufactured with steel frame only, by FegArmy Kft, Budapest
Caliber: .22LR
157mm [6.2 in] long, 86mm [3.4 inches] long barrel
8-rd magazine
Unloaded weight, aluminum: 530g, loaded: 550g
Unloaded weight, steel: 650g, loaded: 680g[\quote]

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/FegRL61.htm

Same as the FEG R61, but in caliber .22 LR, and Plastic grips with thumbrest.

The pistol has an external hammer with a revolving safety mechanism built into the slide. The double action firing mechanism and the external hammer make it possible to fire the first shot directly by pulling the trigger with a round in the chamber, while the gun is unlatched with the released hammer. The hammer may be cocked with the thumb also. The hammer is provided with a safety rest to protect against accidental discharge. The safety mechanism in the slide allows barrel loading of the latched pistol safely.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Input please on 22LR

Post by normsutton »

DAVE
this is the same size as the AP22 its the last 22 FEG makes its a LR -61

it has Dennis grips on it
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
oppy

Input please on 22LR

Post by oppy »

Now that is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the input.

I will keep tabs at my local shops and on line as I suspect finding one of those will take some time.

Thanks again!
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
davebaird

Input please on 22LR

Post by davebaird »

Yeah, thanks guys!!! ;D I like them both. I might just keep my eyes open for one too. But, I'll stand in line behind you, Oppy!

Thanks guys, Dave
dwd

Input please on 22LR

Post by dwd »

I don't know how bad you want one but here's where one is:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/931117354/Gu ... A_CLIP.htm
davebaird

Input please on 22LR

Post by davebaird »

:o
6x6pinz

Input please on 22LR

Post by 6x6pinz »

I really enjoy shooting my Feg AP22 but it does not match up well to my Walther PPKs in 22. Of course the price difference is representative of the match up also. One of the lost guns which can be found at reasonable prices on occassion is the Llama 22, I enjoy shooting mine and have since the 80's. Too bad that some of Llama's guns are finally coming into their own now that they are no longer made.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Input please on 22LR

Post by normsutton »

when I bought mine the trigger pull was just like the PA-63 so got a WOLFF PA-63 hammer spring, the 9# ,

and now one sweet shooting 22

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dwd

Input please on 22LR

Post by dwd »

I am thinking of getting a .22 bullet trap and setting up a target in the basement of my house. then I could shoot a little while the wife and kids are gone. Am I crazy? Will this work or is it too dangerous?
donnerwetter58

Input please on 22LR

Post by donnerwetter58 »

dwd,
Get or build a real bullet trap. When constructed correctly, a trap built from 1/4" steel plate will stop most handgun ammunition.
My dad had a 50 foot range in the basement for years. We fired all sorts of centerfire pistol cartridges (no magnums) without incident The biggest issue is ventilation especially with the centerfire cartridges.
Noise throughout the house was the other issue with the centerfires.
Rimfire minimizes the smoke and noise.
If you shoot cast bullets and cast yourself, you have the perfect recycling set up with a trap.
Have fun.