SKS lube questions

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

SKS lube questions

Post by blinddog »

I made a mistake when I said I had a 1963 sks, my math sucks and it turns out to be (according to everything I read about sks's made at factory 26) a 1960. Not the point, I dont know what parts need to be oiled and what parts need to get grease other what is obivious. I have everything slick and clean and ready to put back together. Other than oil and grease is there anything special I need to know? Help will be greatly appreciated because I wanna shoot this sucker :-/

blinddog
barnett3006

SKS lube questions

Post by barnett3006 »

Check the bolt face for small cracks radiating from the firing pin hole, the firing pin is wedge shaped and can work its way through the bolt face if the gun is dry fired allot.

When checking the bolt face for cracks also check to see that the firing pin is not stuck/protruding from the hole, again, because of its wedge shape it can wedge itself in the the hole which creates a dangerous open-bolt machine gun.

Other then that, it sounds like your good to go.

Oh, You'll need a bigger pile of ammo to shoot than you think!
trace

SKS lube questions

Post by trace »

Hey blinddog. I just usually oiled the slide sides but you could put some grease their too. These sks's and ak's can and are made to get really dirty so I think just cleaning and oiling is just what they need. Shoot the hell out of it and buy as much 7.62 that you can while it has been going up in price. That case of wolf that you got with it has doubled in price. These sks's want tat gas tube and secondary rod cleaned out more than an ak. I would put a bit of grease on the trigger group. I downloaded all kinds of info fo these so just look up SKS or your perticular model, M56-70 yugo or whatever. I have some pretty good refinishing techniques if your interested.
Later. Trace.