FAL L1A1

Use this section for all other firearms
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

I finally came around and armed myself with a more modern day SHTF gun besides the M1 Garand & M1 Carbine of yesteryear. As some of you know, the government sent me and many others in the 60's and 70's to a tropical paradise and gave us a AR-16 .223 to take with us. I for one would have rather had the old M1 Garand or the M14 both .30-06 to have done my talking for me, lets just say I don't care to much for the .223 round, I realize a lot do and that is fine, but in a fire fight when your being shot at with 7.62x39 and all you can throw back is .223, well, nuff said.

Anyway, I got somewhat modernized recently when I picked up a FAL L1A1, with a 3x9x40 scope, [3] 20rd mags and 600 rds of .308 to go with it, I also what a decent red dot scope for it also. Range report when time and weather permits.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
barnett3006

FAL L1A1

Post by barnett3006 »

SWEET! Awesome buy Papabear! Is that a Century built FAL or a kit gun or what?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

FAL L1A1

Post by dfunk »

papabear wrote: lets just say I don't care to much for the .223 round, I realize a lot do and that is fine, but in a fire fight when your being shot at with 7.62x39 and all you can throw back is .223, well, nuff said.
Agreed - I'd rather arm myself with an Kalashnikov vs. a black rifle for reasons of ballistics and reliability. Nice rifle you got there!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

Thanks barnette3006 and dickfunk, appreciate your comments, its a Century build with a new barrel. Hope to make it to the range this week.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

FAL L1A1

Post by grayfox »

Papabear,
I think that is one of the best battle rifles ever built. You done good. Now your ready for the zombies.... ;D
hairypolack

FAL L1A1

Post by hairypolack »

Very nice indeed. Isn't .308 another term for 7.62X51? If so, maybe you should think about giving those 7.62X39ers another run for their money.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

hairlypolack,

Yes sir, .308 is 7.62x51, and the only way I'd give em a run for their money at my age is if they came ashore and threatened us here, then you could bet your sweet beepie I'd take em on.

I did take it to range this morning, it was a cool 37 degrees and a tad windy, didn't put up a target, shot at the 6" steel plates on the 50yd range, I was impressed, using the flip up peep sight and a standing free hand stance I was actually knocking em down, yelp missed a few times but hit more than I missed..... ;D. I was using Winchester NATO 147gr ammo. The recoil was minimal, second shot recovery was good, at rapid fire it was still easy to handle. The extracted cases were thrown about 6-8 ft at 2:00 o'clock, I'm sure anyone shooting to my right would appreciate that. I wish I had gotten one of these a long time ago, next trip to the range and hopefully with warmer weather, I'll video it. Red Dot sight ordered.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

grayfox,

10-4 on that, it be a 10-50 and 10-52 for the Zombies, the FAL can get "R" done.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

The BSA red dot sight came in yesterday, easy install on the DSA mount that came with the FAL, now I can find those zombies a lot quicker and put a hurting on em. Off to the range as soon as the weather breaks again.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

Took my L1A1 .308 to the range awhile back to zero in the BSA red dot I put on it. it was a tad cool that morning at 8:30 but no wind, I didn't have it bore sited first so it took a few rounds to zero it in but once I got it zeroed in it was sweet, These old eyes really like it, wider field of view and much easier to find the target. I also took this video shooting in 3, 4 and 5 rd busts, this is a fun gun to shoot and now with the red dot scope its even more fun...... 8-). One of the things I like about the British L1A1 is its the "inch" instead of the metric" and it will take both the the inch and metric mags, it came with 3 inch military mags but at a local show I picked up three military metric mags so now I have plenty of mags for it.

POINT SHOOTER
tankdriver

FAL L1A1

Post by tankdriver »

I have 2 FN Fal's.....

And I love them... They are great rifles. Chosen by over 90 nations. That in it's self says a lot.....

1st, my Stg 58 on a DSA reciever I built myself.

Shoots well too

and a British L1A1 that is a Century build on a Imbel reciever that I just put new wood on. I have not shot it yet.....

rottenrick

FAL L1A1

Post by rottenrick »

Tankdriver,
As my wife would say: Ow, pretty. Over the years I've found I can drag just about anything home, as long as it's 'pretty'. She's the only person I know that would call an M38 Mosin Nagant pretty. Sadly, this standard doesn't apply to other women. I got a negative reply when Iasked for Halle Berry for christmas.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

tankdriver,

You got two really nice FAL's, especially the British FAL with the new furniture, I be drooling over that one.

rottenrick,

Well now there is at least two of us that think the MN M38 is purdy....... :P

POINT SHOOTER
rottenrick

FAL L1A1

Post by rottenrick »

Papabear,

I brought home that M38, and an 800 rd tin of ammo, fully expecting 'Another gun' response from her. What a guy might call 'Purdy' as compared to most women, is in most cases totally different. This revelation led to some interesting changes in strategy.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

FAL L1A1

Post by papabear »

rottenrick,

Good point..... ;D, and take heed with those interesting changes in strategy, but as long as they work keep em going......
POINT SHOOTER