Norinco SKS

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Norinco SKS

Post by blinddog »

Thanks trace, I appreciate the info. If you don't mind let me know when there is going to be a show around the Portland area and I will try to go. :)

blinddog
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Norinco SKS

Post by blinddog »

Picked up the sks this AM, the triangle has the number 26 inside and it has all matching serial numbers. I will send pics later. I gotta find out how the clean the sucker, I know for sure it needs it and I am not going to shoot it dirty. But all in all the gun looks great, very little wear, stock is smooth bayonet attached and I am happy!!! :D

P.S. No rust
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Norinco SKS

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
davebaird

Norinco SKS

Post by davebaird »

Congrats on a military SKS!! ;D
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Norinco SKS

Post by blinddog »

Thank you Norm and Thank you davebaird!! It did come with 1000 rds of wolf, but it is hollow point, didn't know that wolf made it that way. Next year I plan on doing some work on it. I have seen some of the other guys and they look fantastic.

blinddog
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Norinco SKS

Post by papabear »

On my latest trip I found 200 rds of Norinco 7.62x39 and it came in a Chinese 10 pocket AK/SKS chest rig to go with my Norinco SKS. I believe the chest rig is for 9 pockets of ammo and 1 larger pocket for a cleaning kit/tool pouch, but this chest rig had 200rds of the Norinco on strippers, picked it up for a song, $35, I know the that Norinco ammo was banned from importation around '94 so I guessing this is '93 stuff. May hang on to this for a while, nbender told me if I ever found any to grab it that it was good ammo. I think it might be steel core, the head stamp 317 over 93, does any one know how to tell if its steel core or lead core without pulling a round?

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
davebaird

Norinco SKS

Post by davebaird »

Try a magnet. It should be able to hold the round in the air if the core is steel. It looks like yours is steel to me. That's one heck of a deal, let me tell you. Those rounds are going for a minimum of .50 cents each. :o

Dave
barnett3006

Norinco SKS

Post by barnett3006 »

A magnet wont tell you if it has a steel core or not, the jacket is steel also (brass washed).

Only way I know of to tell if it has a steel core or not is to pull a bullet and cut/grind it open.

Good find Papabear, I have a bunch of that stuff in my SHTF stock pile, its good ammo.
Last edited by barnett3006 on December 4th, 2008, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Norinco SKS

Post by papabear »

Thanks guys, I tried a magnet on a single round and it picked it up, both the bullet and the casing, I think as barnett3006 said, " the jacket is steel also (brass washed), but is the core steel or lead. I guess I'll have to pull one and cut it to find out.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Norinco SKS

Post by blinddog »

Norm, I went to the sites you gave me and found out I have a 1963 sks. Cool, huh!!

blinddog
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Norinco SKS

Post by blinddog »

Norm, I went to the sites you gave me and found out I have a 1963 sks. Cool, huh!!

blinddog
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Norinco SKS

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

that's the best SKS site , and the owner of that site is a member here ( galahad )

he just got a P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Norinco SKS

Post by grayfox »

Just an update. Steel core is going for 1:00 a rd now. 8-)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Norinco SKS

Post by papabear »

Took my Dremel tonight and cut off one of the Norinco 7.62x39 rounds, it is definitely steel core, it took 1 1/2 heavy duty cut-off wheels to cut through it. According to grayfox it cost a buck to find out but at least I know now. I figure.. :o.. for the $35 I paid for the 10 pocket chest rig and 200rd of 7.62x39, $12-$15 for the chest rig and $20 for the Norinco steel core..... :-/.....I'm a happy camper. I definitely won't be shooting any of this.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER