10 round mags hard to install in Tantal

Use this section for all other firearms
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

These are what I believe I picked up off Gunbroker for $34. I measured the width and they seem to be about 0.010 of an inch wider than my stock plastic mags. My plan was to take my die-grinder and use it as a surface grinder and take about .005 off each side and test it and if it works paint and fly with it. Then use them for benching it on the sight adjusting trip. One that is about .005 bigger will insert but not easily. Looking for the opines of the experts here, as I'm such a newbie regarding this weapon. It's a CAI Tantal that I've got around 200 rounds thru it and I've so far only shot it out to 25 yards. I do need to move the front sight to the right a little as it's hitting about 4-5 inches to the right at 25 yards. Once I get the sight to the witness mark I'll try the 50 and 100 yard shots and see if she is a key-holer or not. But shooting the Bulgarian ammo so far at 25 yards no signs of any. Crossing my fingers. And thanks in advance on the mag info.

http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_in...mag_guide.html
10rd STEEL
Manufacturer: Cugir Arsenal
Frequency: Uncommon
Description: Created for the US commercial market during the "Assault Weapons Ban" era and supplied with the SAR-2 5.45 rifles imported by Century Arms International in the late 1990s and early 2000s. These appear to have been fabricated by cutting down a 30rd steel magazine of the type described below. Century Arms stopped furnishing the 10rd magazines with their rifles in about 2002 (switching to East German 30rd bakelites, then to Bulgarian 30rd polymer types), and the sunset of the AWB in 2004 largely eliminated demand for them in the US. They can occasionally be found for sale on the secondhand market, and retain some value as curiosities and collectors' items. Their short length also makes them convenient when shooting from a bench rest.
jakub66

Post by jakub66 »

I know it might sound strange, but best way to assure fit of all kinds of different mags from various sources is to open up a mag well. I had to do it on several AK clones with US manufactured receivers. Looks like our manufacturers make them a bit tighter than original Com Block. Some work with file, or Dremel tool (if you have steady hand) will take care of this problem quickly. Being a cousin of AK, Tantal's mag does not have to be kept tight from side to side.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Manic,

I have a 10 round plastic mag that is supposed to be for a .223 chambered AK74 that I use for shooting my Romanian 5.45mm AK74 from the bench.

In order to make it work I had to file the front locking grove deeper (not wider) and I had to file the top back corner of the mag (the corner above the catch tab) to a more rounded profile so that it would clear a cross pin in the receiver. It didn't take much filing to get it to fit right, I think all I used was a jewelers file that was as wide the front locking grove to do all the filing.

This sides of the mag rub the sides of the magwell but not enough to keep it from being inserted and removed easily.

I can shove 9 5.45mm rounds in there, but it will only feed the first round if there are only 8 rounds in it...to much spring tension with 9. Other then that the mag works just fine.
Last edited by barnett3006 on November 29th, 2008, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have to take a closer look and see just what is causing the problem. I picked up 4 more Polish poly mags from Apex, and 2 of those seem to need a little modification to fit better. I'll let you know what I end up doing, or ask more questions.
I ended up making my own sight pusher from a nut splitter. Just needed to drill the chisel point end out to 7/16" and it was good to go. With a 3/4" hex instead of the little hand t-bar the sight drum move really smooth and easily. Still need to find time to get outside and dialed in. Thanks again for the info!
pshootr

Post by pshootr »