East German Makarov,new to me!

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Congrats on the great deal G.R. its not everyday that ya run across something like that, thumbs up!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Gunny,

When I carry either my Bulgie or E. German Makarov, be it in a holster or the glove box in my truck its with one in the tube and safety off, same as himmel, I feel very comfortable with it as I do with my P-64's same same.

'62 E. German Makarov

Papa
Last edited by papabear on October 20th, 2008, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Electross--Now I'll have to dig out my Mak manual and count the parts--LOL!
electross

Post by electross »

Hi himmel,
If you want , count the parts, I don't know, I read it on the Makarov.com forum somewhere. I have three Makarov's and I have not taken them down that far so I have not counted the parts myself. I do know they are simple and a bunch of fun to work on. If you look it up or find out how many are involved, please post it. Its a good handgun. Reliable and inexpensive to purchase. Have fun with it GR.

Dale
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

All I know is it's a hoot to shoot, very accurate with no preference for ammo, shoots everything equally well. An excellent pistol in my opinion.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 1st, 2008, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Foundf the manual--sure 'nuff, says 27 parts--but that's counting the safety assembly as one part ( I think it has 3 components). Whatever the number, I concur, an excellent pistol that in my definitely inexpert hands can still go toe-to-toe (muzzle-to-muzzle??) with my friends' Kimbers, Springfields, and Brownings.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Made it to our local Rose City Gun Collectors gun show today and picked up a like new safety for my E.G. Makarov for $15.00. ;D

You guys should have seen the guns and ammo fly out the door, it was like Obama was going to go to work tomorrow. The prices were ridiculously high for everything, P-64's were priced from $189.00 to $225.00. A PA-63 for $252.00 and several new Norinco Takarovs for $350.00 each. A CZ 52 at $249.00 and several CZ 82's for $279.00. Used American made guns were priced almost like new and people were paying the exorbitant prices.

Who says that Obama won't be good for the American economy, he has the crap scared out of the entire country and folks are buying guns, ammo and survival gear like there may be no tomorrow. The folks selling survival gear and dried foods,etc, were doing a bang up business.

2009 is going to be an interesting of a year !
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 23rd, 2008, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

You guys all know how partial I am to the PA-63, to date it was my pistol of choice for dead on accuracy at fifty feet. Well I think that it just got de-throned by the Makarov. Accuracy is just as good for long distance shooting in single action mode but the Makarov has the PA-63 beat hands down for double action first shots. Shooting brown bear ammo the German out shoots the Hungarian in a target shoot off. The PA-63 would still be my first choice for carry how ever, just because the front sight is so easy to pick up doing rapid strings of shots under stress situations and Titanium just out shines steel for carry weight in my opinion.
They are both, in my opinion, excellent pistols for filling different niches and I would not give either of them up.
Just one guys opinion!
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 29th, 2008, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I pulled the Mak apart the other day and it has a very interesting firing pin and safety arrangement. The safety holds the firing pin in place, pull out the safety and the firing pin drops out. Replacement is self evident and not a problem for even a novice to replace. Three parts in all firing pin, safety and safety detente spring.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 14th, 2008, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electross

Post by electross »

Gunny, You have a winner with an East German Mak. The only thing I've ever done is replace a recoil spring to tame recoil a little. Found some nice grips but the East German original grips are black and nice and slim for CCW. If you like to tinker on handguns, the Mak might not be for you, nothing goes wrong with them. But as said before, they arre fun to shoot. Have fun.