East German Makarov,new to me!

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Was leaving a flea market this morning around 9:30 and noticed a Makarov in a case. Asked the fellow what make and he said East German and was asking $200.00 for the item. Offered him $175.00 and he accepted, then he through in two extra mags and a police mag holder to-boot. Slight mar on the right grip and light bluing ware at the muzzle but nothing to queer the deal. Heavier than I expected and needs a safety detente spring but very nice in all other respects. If some one will remind me how to post photo's I will do so.
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! ;D ;D ;D
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

GR,

Thats a great deal on a E. German Makarov, can't wait to see your pics.

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK guys I'm trying to figure this out, so some time today I will post the photos. In case some of you can't tell, I'm a little bit computer illiterate. Actually I'm totally computer illiterate.
G.R.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Take your time GR.

Just follow Norm's lead detailing the photobucket process.
I had a little trouble at first too.

Nice deal by the way!

Fritzhund
Last edited by fritzhund on October 6th, 2008, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Great deal, IMHO--love my Mak, I understand the E German ones (like mine) are among the best, usually go a bit higher than some others...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Sorry guys, the problem is not with the instructions, I've posted pic's before and just needed a nudge to jog my memory. Wife left the camera at her sisters last weekend, won't be able to pick it up until next Saturday. Hay will the Makarov feed HP ammo or is it picky about what you load into it?
G.R.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Gunny,

Congrats on your new Mak! That is ONE HECK OF A DEAL! Can't wait for some pics.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I shot the pistol yesterday and the double action trigger pull is the best I've felt on any gun that I've ever owned, very smooth and reasonably light. I shot the pistol strictly double action at fifty feet with twenty five rounds then single action with another twenty five rounds and the accuracy is almost the same.

The pistol is going to get a new safety and not just the detente spring, I noticed that the safety is slightly bent, that and the worn detente spring is allowing the safety to engage at almost any time during shooting, not a good thing for a self defense weapon.

Here is a question for those of you who own them, can you safely carry the pistol with one round in the chamber and action decocked and the safety on?

Still pleased with my purchase.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on October 12th, 2008, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I carry it/keep it in the glove box with one in the chamber, decocked, safety off, ready to fire. It has a rebounding hammer, so I feel it is reasonably safe that way...
Last edited by himmel on October 15th, 2008, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Himmel, I noticed that the hammer had a lot of bounce to it, can you explain the rebounding hammer concept, it's the first I have heard of it and as much as I liked the function of the pistol I must admit I was a little put off by the sound of the hammer.
G.R.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I'll try. The hammer on the Mak is not far enough forward to contact the firing pin when the pistol is at rest with the hammer down and the safety off. It cannot move forward to contact the firing pin unless the trigger is held all the way back. When you pull the trigger all the way back the hammer goes all the way forward and hits the firing pin and then rebounds do to the curvature of the main spring. Then when the trigger is released the hammer is blocked from moving far enough forward to hit the firing pin.

You can perform this test:

With the gun unloaded, pull the trigger all the way back and hold it back. Now, while holding the trigger back see how far forward you can push the hammer.

Now do the same but let the trigger remain forward. The hammer should not be able to go as far forward as before.

BTW, your Mak has a firing pin that does not use a firing pin return spring and the firing pin is longer than the firing pin channel. This is kinda unusual but is considered safe because if you were to drop your Mak muzzle down with a live round in the chamber the firing pin would not have enough mass to generate sufficient energy to detonate the primer.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Is the light trigger normal for these pistole's, as I said this is the smoothest and one of the lighter triggers I have ever felt, it is a dream, what every one looks for in a double action pistol. So far I'm as impressed with this as I am my PA-63 for accuracy and handling. It is going to take me a while to get used to the feel and sound of the hammer. Going to try to find a safety at the next gun show instead of ordering from Numerich, may be able to get into the show and get the safety for less than the $30.75 plus shipping that Numerich is asking. If not I guess I will just have to pay the asking price.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on October 16th, 2008, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

All I can say is the trigger on mine is good--not a "hair trigger" like my Zastava, not a stiff one like my P64 and Nagant, but like Baby Bear's porridge...juuuust right!
electross

Post by electross »

gunneyrabbit
Thats a good price on an E German Makarov. I have three Makarov's, two Bulgarians and one E German. The trick is to collect all four versions, E. German, Bulgarian, Russian, and Chinese. Good Luck. Chinese are hard to find, the Bulgarians are the easiest. E. Germans have the best finish. My East German is a 1964 model. They do shoot nice. Your right about the hammer bounce,just doesn't feel right. They are fun to have. Its said there are only 27 parts to a Makarov, never took one all the way down and counted. Just have to believe.