Who's Bayonet

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Who's Bayonet

Post by blinddog »

I bought this bayonet a few years ago at an estate sale. I have done a lot of research on it and have come up with really nothing. The best I can tell, it may be French and it may be from the 1880's. If it is, it is way too short by at least 4 to 6". The length of the bayonet itself is 18 1/8"L. The scabbard has no markings on it and I don"t have the frog for it.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Who's Bayonet

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

I think its French too

http://www.michaeldlong.com/kolistB/1/B ... 109664.htm

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Who's Bayonet

Post by blinddog »

Thanks Norm, That is the first one I have seen that is shorter than the one I have. That was what was throwing me off. I have seen a bunch that are Longer on several sights and on E-Bay even. I now am convinced that it is French. It's gotta be, its never been used. ;D
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Who's Bayonet

Post by papabear »

blinddog,

Your bayonet is a French model 1886/35 for the Lebel rifle. Its the shortened version [18" over all] of the 1886 model. The handle should have a threaded top mount so it could be replaced and it should have the silver alloy handle. Your bayonet and scabbard appear to be in VG condition.

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fleb1886.htm

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
ozarker

Who's Bayonet

Post by ozarker »

As a young boy I had a small knife collection. Most was given to me (why I won't say here). I still have most of it. Anyway one was this bayonet. No one knew what it was. As the year wore on I'd watch movies, pictures, etc. no luck.

Then I'm running my forums tonight (first one is always the P64). And here it is with a link from papabear. I now know its French.

It's amazing what you can learn on this forum. Thanks papabear.
Last edited by ozarker on September 27th, 2008, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Who's Bayonet

Post by blinddog »

Thanks papabear, I have had a real head scratcher on this one. You be a smart man papabear and You really made my day. ;D ;D
Woooo Hoooo!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Who's Bayonet

Post by papabear »

Hey now, y'all both are welcome, glad I could share. The slotted silver alloy handled bayonets are fairly rare, and I believe the slot in the handle is for cleaning for rod clearance.

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
barnett3006

Who's Bayonet

Post by barnett3006 »

Neat Bayonet!

I am curious as to why the hook quillion was cut off?
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Who's Bayonet

Post by blinddog »

The hook quillion was removed because it would get caught in the enemys bayonet and snap the French bayonet which was smaller and weaker thus rendering the French with the hook useless. At least that is what I read.