PA-63 - decocker discharges round

Use this section for all other firearms
zark

Post by zark »

My PA-63 fires the round in the chamber when the safety is applied. I know this is not normal. But the packaging the pistol came in included a note on fluorescent colored paper stating something to the effect that the safety should not be used to decock the pistol. Of course, this was tested in a safe manner at the range and decocking discharged the round in the chamber.

A member of the yahoo board said to test with a pencil, eraser down, in the barrel. If it jumps up to any noticeable amount then there is a problem. It jumps about 1/4".

Has anyone heard of this? Any idea on what the fix is? Surely some parts are out of spec and replacing them would fix the problem. At least that is my hope because it looks and feels good and shoots like a dream.
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

that's the same procedure I've read about to check the decocker on a CZ-52, which also has problems with the decocker firing off a round unexpectedly

haven't tried it with mine yet
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

When the PA-63 is cocked and the safety is then applied the safety is supposed to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin and also lower the firing pin out of line with the hammer face before dropping the hammer. Evidently on yours the hammer falls before either of those two events has taken place.

Is your PA-63 new or used?

Parts are available from:

http://www.buymilsurp.com/zencart/index ... 1cb37ac122

You may want to review the disassembly procedure for the PA-63 compiled, with pics, by our own Norm Sutton, one of the greatest contributors to the existence and success of this forum. It can be found here:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 586&page=1
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

zark

WELCOME

take your slide apart and check the firing pin it should look like this

there is a small spring with a plunger on top of the firing pin you may want to just clean it and put it back

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 29th, 2008, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
zark

Post by zark »

My PA-63 shows very little wear so I guess it is fairly new. Maybe it needs breaking in. BTW, thanks for the links. Dang! Those parts ain't cheap!

Norm, I removed the firing pin. Yep it looks like that, all the pieces are there. Cleaned the parts. BTW, excellent instructions.

It is back together but still pops the pencil about 1/4".

I see how the safety blocks the hammer. But I'm not sure what allows the firing pin to move down out of the way of the hammer. Seems like the pin sticking out of the frame prevents it from traveling downward far enough.

This is a great forum. Thanks for the help.
zark

Post by zark »

Oh, I see that pulling the trigger pushes the pin up which pushes the firing pin up into position.
electross

Post by electross »

This is an interesting topic, please keep us informed as to what you find. I have read about using the pencil and all of mine work ok for now, sometimes I check them at the range or wherever I am shooting and they still work, but, its man made and can fail. Really interested in finding out what is the source of your problem.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I seem to remember reading about the CZ-52's that if you replaced the original brittle firing pin with the better replacement that the decocker would not work.

I'd keep looking at the firing pin along the lines that Norm started you on. I'll bet something's wrong there.
msgttbar

Post by msgttbar »

I may be paranoid, but I still hold the hammer and ease it down with a decocker gun. Murphy's Law will rear its head when you least expect it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

msgttbar wrote:I may be paranoid, but I still hold the hammer and ease it down with a decocker gun. Murphy's Law will rear its head when you least expect it.

msgttbar

I think its a good rule , better to be safe than sorry

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
zark

Post by zark »

The safety seems to shield the firing pin sufficiently. Here is a picture just before the decocker drops the hammer. There is no slop int ths safety.

When I first tried the pencil test suggested by a poster on another board, it jumped up higher than it does now.

If it hadn't been so hot today I would have tested it. I have hopes that the first good cleaning will help. Plus there was a noticeable burr on the side of the firing pin. I stoned it off - just the burr.

Could replacing the firing pin sping and mainspring help? I thought I'd start there since this is a typical upgrade and I plan on doing it anyway. But not until after the next gun show. I'm looking for a P-64. :) That's what brought me to this forum.

After my experience with this PA-63 I've started doing the same, easing the hammer down when decocking my Maks and P97. Ya never know.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

If the firing pin Assembly is not the problem and all parts and springs are in good shape you may want to look at replacing the safety. With the hammer cocked I would check to see if there is any play in the device, it may be that it looks OK with the hammer in the cocked position but moves just enough to allow the hammer to strike the firing pin when decocked.
Might be worth a try?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on September 6th, 2008, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

zark

take the slide off , then put the safety all the way on , turn the slide bottom side up ,then press on the firing pin if goes forward you need a new safety, I think you can get one from http://www.ssmedwi.com/misc.page4.htm

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage