What did I find?

Use this section for all other firearms
dwd

What did I find?

Post by dwd »

I stopped by a pawn shop today and they had a gun that caught my eye but I still don't know what it was. The guy said it was a German military that was converted to a 9mm, it was supposed to shoot 7.62. It was definitely a 9mm, it was stamped on the chamber at the ejection port. It looked like a Tokerov to me but I am not that familiar with them having only seen pictures of them. The only way to release the slide after it was locked open was to remove the magazine(or at least pull it out a little) them pull back on the slide and it would go back. What did I see and is it worth $175? The barrel and the slide were okay but the grips were crap. I was just looking for a bargain or a fixer-upper.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
weetabix

What did I find?

Post by weetabix »

Any import stamps to give you a clue? They often put on there what the gun is.
dwd

What did I find?

Post by dwd »

I'll have to go back with my glasses. There was some writing on the frame in front of the trigger.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

What did I find?

Post by anjdrifter »

it might be a cz52 do look up on Gun brokers and see if it is. there is a conversion unit for it. of course there are some other choices. also.
dwd

What did I find?

Post by dwd »

Yeah, I think it might be a CZ52. They look a little like a Tokerov, don't they? Not germen made is it, just shows how little the shop owners know. But, with a 9mm conversion, it ought to be worth $175, shouldn't it?
pshootr

What did I find?

Post by pshootr »

I'm guessing it's either a Czechoslovakian made CZ-52 with either a factory or after-market 9mm conversion barrel or a non-Russian Tokarev that was originally chambered in 9mm.

Tokarev

CZ-52

My advice would be to pass on it given the crappy grips. For $175 you should be able to do better.
dwd

What did I find?

Post by dwd »

Now that you put the pictures side by side it was probably the CZ-52. The trigger, magazine release, and grips are more like the one I saw(as well as the overall shape) I could offer him $150 and see if he goes for it? If I were to own a CZ-52 I think I might like it to be chambered in 9mm. Thanks for your help.
weetabix

What did I find?

Post by weetabix »

I think the conversion is worth a bit. I think I've read you can convert back and forth with just a barrel change. Has anyone else heard that?
msgttbar

What did I find?

Post by msgttbar »

That is true. The same magazine is used for both 7.62X25 and 9mm. And there is the problem. Feed problems with the 9mm conversion crop up because of the mag.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

What did I find?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I purchased a 9mm conversion for mine last year and had feed problems for a short while, lately it feeds the 9mm like a charm! The barrel did not come with factory rollers installed so I ordered a pair from Numrich, if my memory serves me I paid $12.00 shipped. The conversion is vary accurate and when you consider the cost of new 7.62x25 ammo I felt it was worth the investment.
By the way, I purchased and fired Wolf 7.62 through the pistol and it is also very accurate, much more recoil but not at all uncomfortable to shoot.
G.R.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

What did I find?

Post by grayfox »

If the gun is in good shape then I'd get it. They run around 200.00 in this area. A good set of wood grips would set it off nice.
Last edited by grayfox on July 21st, 2008, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

What did I find?

Post by papabear »

I don't have the 9mm conversion bbl for my CZ52's, but I have heard its a fairly easy conversion and that it is as accurate as the 7.62x25 if not more so, and of course the 9mm is much cheaper so it makes sense to go to the 9mm conversion, however, for me, I got both of my CZ52's a few years ago when they were still cheap, $125 for my first one and later $160 for my second one, and right now I still have around 1000 rds of 7.62x25 surplus that I got back in 05 cheap and I just picked up several hundred rds of S&B, Winchester WB and Norinco at my last show really cheap from a guy that had gotten rid of his CZ52 and wanted to move his ammo for it, I'm almost ashamed to admit I got for $5 a box, but a man has to do what a man has to do.

Grayfox knows I'm a sucker for grips, here are some of my CZ52 grips. I only have two CZ52's but I like to change the grips out from time to time depending on what mood I'm in. I like the [custom made for me] wood grips because they are thicker than the original drk brown bakelite grips and I can control the CZ52 in rapid fire much better and for me it takes away a lot of the recoil, don't get me wrong, I love my Zee grips too, again, different time, different mood, different shooting. I happen to think the CZ52 is ugly, but with a nice set of grips IMHO turns em into looking good...... ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
dwd

What did I find?

Post by dwd »

Papabear:
Now that's what I am talking about! Those are some mighty fine looking weapons. That's exactly what I was thinking of doing with with this gun, if I get it. How did you get that nice finish on the slide and frame? Gunkote? Send it somewhere?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

What did I find?

Post by papabear »

dwd,

Thanks for your kind comments, as for the finish, both of mine have been re-arsenaled, they were re-arsenaled and then stored away, as far as I know the finish on mine is a parkerized phosphate finish and according to the very dark color I'm guessing it was parkerized with either a iron or manganese phosphate which produces a black or very dark gray finish. If it has been parperized with a Zink phosphate it results in a light to medium gray finish. FWIW, when they did this re-arsenal job on them, they supposedly replaced the firing pin with a steel one instead of the originals that had a tendency to break a lot. I have shot both of mine several hundred rounds and no problems with the firing pin so I am assuming the firing pins were replaced in both of mine, but the newer firing pins can be found at several different locations.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

What did I find?

Post by grayfox »

Papabear,
You should be a pro and get into the photo game. No one matchs your pics & I have seen a lot. BTW, your pics are one of the things I look forward to on this forum. Great gift you have ol bud.
Sam :)