Worst single action trigger I have ever felt

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

My range partner has been down with this miserable bronchitis that seems to spare no one here in the Portland area lately, so I was off to the range by myself for a little pleasant quality time with my P-64 and Kahr PM9 pistole's.
While there a fellow showed up with a brand new in the box Springfield Champion and several box's of 45 ACP ammo. As I watched I noticed he was unable to hit the target with his first five rounds, he reloaded and put another five rounds who knows ware. Third mag and the same problem and thats when the air turned loudly blue with expletives. I stopped what I was doing and asked if I could help? Yes he said, "shoot this POS" and tell me what I'm doing wrong!
OK, put two rounds in the mag, chambered one and gently squeezed the trigger, harder and harder and harder for what seemed like an eternity until the hammer finally ignited the round. What I was rewarded with was a very clean hole in the extreme lower left corner of the target.
Absolutely the worst single action trigger I have ever felt! Harder to pull then my ailing Cobra Patriot when it was new, worse than my Bersa/Fire Storm Government model 45 ACP before I did the trigger job on it. Second shot was aimed at the upper right hand corner of the target and the hole appeared in the chest cavity. After we spoke of the issue he aimed at the same area of the target and hit in the same vicinity. Last I saw of him he was on his way back to the gun shop where he bought the pistol.
Keep in mind that this fellow was also watching me punch 9x18 holes in my target in a roughly ragged seven inch diameter grouping at fifty feet. Before he left he asked me how much I payed for the P-64 and I told him $130.00 not counting shipping, back ground check and my FFL holders fee, he grumbled something and the air turned blue again as he left.
Know I know that this fellows situation was an aberration and we all know that Springfield makes great guns, but I don't think you could have convinced him of that this afternoon at about 3:30 PM. By the way he left me one slightly used and one new half silhouette target along with three unfired 45 ACP cartridges and warm cozy feeling for my little Polish Princes P-64.

The way I figure it he could have purchased three P-64 pistole's, four or five box's of 9x18 ammo, paid for the shipping, background check FFL holder fee's and still have enough change in his pocket for a modest meal out and two tickets to the movies with popcorn and drinks.
I felt sorry for the guy.
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I shouldn't say this, but i never tire of hearing those stories. In the circles I run in, the guys (the ones with the safari vests, LOL!) carry Kimbers and Springfields, maybe the occasional Glock or Sig, and I sometimes feel kind of deprived with my mostly milsurp, all-under-$300 collection--but not when I read this kind of thing.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

As much as I love my little P64, my XD40 has won my heart for carry.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Traitor...BLASTPHEAMOR!!

8-)
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I have a Springfield Champion 45 and the trigger is pretty nice , 3 - 5 lb pull. I can't shoot it as accurately as the P - 64 but that is not a fair comparison in my opinion. Other than a target pistol, not many short barrelled handguns will shoot as accurately as the P - 64.
electross

Post by electross »

The P64 definitly is a fun shooter. I've compared it to several of my "others". It is accurate, but I still wouldn't trade any of my others off. I like the variety.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

Thanks Carguy, Your response to dickfunk's post made me laugh. I recently shot my brothers XD40 and it was very nice. I didn't run out and buy one but I liked it. Later Don
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I agree with redffestiva, I also have a Springfield Champion and it has the 4" bbl and the trigger is around the 5 lb range and very smooth, I shoot 5-6 inch groups at 50 ft with it, for me that is center mass and good enough since its not a target pistol. I agree too that I like to hear stories of the P-64 out shooting the more expensive pistols, I still have 2 P-64's and generally speaking they both are more accurate than my 8 .45's but in all fairness and as redfestiva posted its not fair comparing a 9x18 to a .45acp for accuracy. I would suggest that the guy that had the Champion have it checked out either by the dealer were he got it or by a gunsmith, the Springer's I have shot were really nice IMHO.

I have tried the XD40 and I know a lot of folks love it, but I'm just not one of them, but I'm not knocking it, it just doesn't fit in my hand other wise its a fine pistol.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Nice pic, that!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Very nice photo papabear, those grips are beautiful!

As I stated I'm sure that the pistol was an aberration, it certainly was not indicative of any other Springfield, 1911, that I have seen or fired in the past. But I do have a question for those of you who have FFL licenses. Is the buyer or the retailer responsible for the return of the item, or will the manufacturer pick up the cost of shipping?

Sorry that I haven't been playing with you guys for the last week or so, my wifes family has been here for their yearly reunion and they take up a lot of our time while they visit.
Good to be back!
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

GR

it depends on the company, to find out call

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976