p-83 question and old revolver talk

Use this section for all other firearms
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

I remember awhile back (can't find the thread) someone here said that surplus P-83's are going to be imported and will be priced close to the cz82. Is that still in our future?
Last edited by trent on June 2nd, 2008, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I've seen some sell on gunbroker but I don't think there are any serious quantities being imported.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

There are two on GB right now, but the price is sky high for both of them. One is from TN who was the original importer. Still, for a starting bid of $400.00 I'll wait or by a 1911 for that money.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I have to agree with Fritzhund on this one, they will arrive sooner or later and the laws of supply and demand will kick in and raise or lower the asking prices.
G.R.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

Call me an elitist, but I can't get $400 worth of excited over a stamped pistol.
mecenas

Post by mecenas »

Elitist or not but I bet you would pay a lot more for a Liberator that was far worse war time technology than a stamped P 83.
That being besides the point, I think that TGI is sending a feeler to see how much P 83 is going to bring. Please not the the TGI is the seller on Gunbroker.
I was the one who predicted that sooner or later these will find the way to the US for a simple reason that the Polish police just signed two huge contracts - one on Glock and one on Walther P 99 (made parially in Radom, Poland) to replace P 83s and these will become a police surplus. I would estimate that at least 20,000 will be available soon. The only question is going to be: how much??????
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

That's a good point about the Liberator, but I don't know.... I tend to be more of a shooter than a collector. The Liberator would be an investment/curiosity.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have a P-83. Just that I don't know that I can get $400 worth of excited. And if you're right about a bunch coming on the market, I'll probably let the more eager pay the higher prices and wait until they come down.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I would love to own a P-83, but $400.00 is too high an asking price at this time and $600.00 plus is just ridiculous. Since these pistols were produced in the tens of thousands there is little chance they will ever be as collectible as a liberator. My personal belief is that the recent $283.00 sales price to one of our members was too high also but time will tell.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on May 19th, 2008, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

I emailed TGI about this last night and got a reply this morning.

I was told that this was one imported a long time ago and that it was a sample they are getting rid of because there are no plans to import any more of them.

For $400.00 it will remain a sample.

;)

Fritzhund
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

gunneyrabbit wrote:I would love to own a P-83, but $400.00 is too high an asking price at this time and $600.00 plus is just ridiculous. Since these pistols were produced in the tens of thousands there is little chance they will ever be as collectible as a liberator. My personal belief is that the recent $283.00 sales price to one of our members was too high also but time will tell.
G.R.
Actually I paid $230 for the P-83. From my original post: "Ended up paying $230 for the Vanad and $172.50 for the R61."

Maybe it was someone else who paid $283 for a P-83.

Collectible Firearms http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/PistolsRadom.html has one for $675. Second from top of page above.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

PshootR,

How is the pistol vs. a P-64? I have heard that the improvements were pretty good, but I have never seen one in person. $230 does not sound out of the question to pay for one, assuming that they will not be mass imported.........$400 and above is crazy.

I don't know what to think about these. Like I posted, TGI says that they have no plans to import any more, and I do believe that they would be the ones to do it, but who really knows. Perhaps we will be flooded with them in the future.
:o

BTW, what is your kitten packing, and what is it shooting at? ;D

Fritzhund
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

pshooter, sorry about the inaccurate price entry, your $230.00 purchase was what I was refering to, sorry, my bad.
If the pistole's would hit the market at that price I'm sure they would find rapid sales to those of us who are interested in the 9x18 cartridge then sales would drop of until the prices came down to fair market value, in my opinion.
G.R.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

there's always century arms, they import stuff.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

I am still awaiting delivery of the P-83 and R-61 that I won. Will let you know when they arrive, soon I hope. I don't know why we are not seeing more imports from Central and Eastern Europe. I believe that it is no longer legal to import handguns from either Russia or China, long arms are O.K. though. I should think that their must be plenty of pistolas in some of the smaller Central European nations that would interest collectors and shooters. BTW, why doesn't CZ-USA import the CZ-122 Sport?
Last edited by pshootr on May 20th, 2008, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mecenas

Post by mecenas »

Many, if not all import decisions are made on a pure business analysis basis. What profit will this bring.
About 14 years ago I tried to negotiate for a client an importation of P 64 to the US and I went directly to the Polish exporter as well as to the manufacturer. At that time no one else thought of these pistols. At the Radom factory the deal was to have them re-furbish those pistols that would be taken either off the police or off the military shelves. You would not believe the price they quoted. For that I could get Walther PPK and on the US market there was no comparison between unknown P64 and a legendary PPK.
A very similar situation may occur now with the surplus P64s and the Vanads (P83). The prices in Poland maybe prohibitively high by the time you add transportation and excise taxes.
I can tell you that the gun stores in Warsaw sell the Vanads for $100 to $200 and you can buy P64 for under $100.00 all day long (provided you have a license, which is an entirely different topic)