p-83 question and old revolver talk

Use this section for all other firearms
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

weetabix wrote:Call me an elitist, but I can't get $400 worth of excited over a stamped pistol.
not trying to contradict you but (as I found to my amazement recently) Sig Sauer pistol slides are stamped, I didn't believe it until I started examining mine.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

I would guess that Either type is probably good enough to outlast the owner of the gun. and the "victim".
Trent, Could you please remind me what that little Top-Break Revolver is in your gun collection? (middle picture, Not the Nagant) I have an Iver Johnson that looks kind of like that. Just curious, Thanks ! G
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

sure Garry,

its apparent official name is "Pistol O.P. (Old Pattern) with 5" barrel, No. 3 Mk I"

it is a Spanish double action pistol modeled after the Smith & Wesson model 3 chambered in .455 Webley made for the British in WWI
made by Orbea Hermanos (orbea brothers) a company that now makes bicycles apparently.

for a size comparison, its a bit larger than a 1911.

I've seen Iver Johnsons like you describe and I've always liked them, I may try to find one of those in the future.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Trent, That is neat! I didn't realize it was such a large Revolver from that pic. I have a Spanish 410 shotgun that I have been searching for info on. It is hard to find info because there are so many Gun makers in the Eibar, Spain area.
It is odd to me that the hermanos Orbea Bros. company makes bicycles! The Iver Johnson co. also made bicycles! Hence the name- Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works.

That one you have is a larger caliber! Mine is a 32 S&W cal.
I thought I'd start collecting them at first(still want to), but when I started seeing the larger, and higher quality, Iver Johnson Revolver Collections that those guys have, it made me "less inclined". lol They are not expensive guns(at least the older ones) . I will try to get more, if for no other reason, because they are LOW priced at gun stores around here, going for as little as $70 !! (most of the Nickel plating is gone on the ones i have seen, MINE included)
I have never shot the one i have yet. I haven't forked over the $30+ for a box.lol
I want to shoot it, but I only have one cartridge from around 1930-ish and the lead is all pitted up and is in my bullet collection. Mine was made while They were changing from Blackpowder to the smokless powder, conversion, so I am not sure whether I want to try the modern smokeless cartridges. It has been fired with them before(back in the late 50's),but the cylinder play is a bit loose. end shake? -and i have heard they spit fire and lead shavings out the sides and in your face. lol -geeeee! I'll try it someday and reload the bullets with less powder in them.
It is solid otherwise. I think AnJdrifter has a nice IJ .22 , it is blued and looks really good.
Have you shot your Pistol O.P. No.3 Mk I ?(with .455 webley ammo?) Does it shoot nicely? i mean accurate and powerful? I would imagine that only a few folks on this website have ever fired a .455 webley cartridge.?.?.?. Compared to the .45 auto , which ammo is harder hitting can you tell? That is an old, old caliber, I imagine it hung around all these years because it is a real slugger!!! Thanks for answers here!
here is another couple pics of my I.J., 32 S&W revolver:
That pic makes it look like a big caliber!
I have other pics of it in the "Other Guns" section around the first few pages of threads.
Thanks for info and More PICS of it if you have them. I'd like to see some close ups of it, if you have some?
also , How is the police work going? have you hired on anywhere yet? Good Luck, Garry
Last edited by garry on June 1st, 2008, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Wow , Sorry about the MAJOR hijacking of yer thread man! G
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

That's ok, I hijack threads all the time (and since I started this one I don't care)

Neat gun Garry,

as for the .455 the box of ammo I bought I had to haggle the guy down to $30 (for 50 rounds) it's Fiocchi and weighs in at 262 grains, it seems pretty accurate (although I've only shot ~12 rounds) apparently the .455 flies at about half the speed of a .45acp (so much less recoil) from what I understand it's designed that way so it is more like throwing a big rock at your target (to knock it down)

here's a photo

from left to right: 9x18makarov, 9x19luger, .45acp, .455Webley

Last edited by trent on June 2nd, 2008, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

What a cool Gun !!! That is big, indeed. That front site is as big as a Flag ! hehehe Is it a quarter cut in half? lol That is intersting about the big rock description. The English always have been at the forefront of trying NOT to kill bad guys. (rubber Bullets) Just the site of a huge gun like that would scare them into dropping dead! Thanks for the pic! It does look like mine only much larger! Mine is small enough that it drops down inside my P-64 holster out of sight. Real small.
Here it is compared to the P-64:
My hands aren't large at all. G
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

you mentioned my IJ so here it is. Am looking for an enfield 45 .
my s and w (was my Dads)and the IJ have a few other ij and a couple of us revolvers they are buried someplace in one of the safes will try and dig em out one of these days.
Last edited by anjdrifter on June 2nd, 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Thanks AnJdrifter! I was hoping you would! Those are some really nice amythyst rocks! I like the pistols. Is that top one a .38S&W caliber? or .38spl.? The plating looks great! Do you know what year it is? Mine has NO plating and is from 1904.
Also, on the blued model .22 revolver, is that a grip safety? or ornamental ? It is a good looking gun. The grips make it look like a cowboy gun! Thanks for the Pics- and I would really like to see more of the others that you have ! I love looking at older guns. Especially the ones that aren't for sale at stores where they don't always have alot of variety. The kind that sits in a safe or drawer for 40-100 years and have never been seen on the internet. Pics are Great! Close-ups are even greater ! I have never seen an IJ revolver in as good of shape as those two you pictured ! Mostly what i have seen looks like mine or has peeled up nickel plating. Thanks, Guys! G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

AnJdrifter,
Are the U.S. Revolvers kind of like the IJ and the H&R? The American Bulldog style? I have never seen a pic of one up close. Only in the books with bad B&W pics. Thanks again, G

Trent, Do you have any links to where you found info on your Spanish-made Revolver? (Orbeas Hermanos) I am hoping by looking at as many links as I can that someday i will find more info on my EIG- Eibar "3-shot Repeater" model 410 ga., bolt action shotgun. Someday I may get "Lucky"make a discovery!
Can you post a couple more pics of it? Maybe a close-up of the Maker's Label and modelo#? I like to study that kind of stuff. Thanks again Trent, Garry
Last edited by garry on June 2nd, 2008, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2700 that's all I've got, I had 2 other links but they went dead, you may try gunboards.com and go to the spanish handguns forum and ask there,

I'll take some pics of the maker stamps in a bit.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Garry the plated one is a Smith& Wesson 4 th model 32sw
I think it was made 1912 or so dont remember have it someplace it was fathers. the extra piecte on the I J grips is not safety but is to make a better target type grip. it actually does help. I did the re finish on it. will get to the others soon and get some pics (in color ;D ;D 8-))
also the us revolver is much like the IJ I heard some where that when IJ was retooling and changing models , and wanted an even lower priced pistole. or something like that they had a ton of parts available and thats hows us revolver got started not sure of facts
Last edited by anjdrifter on June 2nd, 2008, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

S&W Military & Police .38 (Pre Mod 10) shipped March 1948 to Honolulu Sporting Goods

trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

wow it looks new!
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/PistolsS&W.html here's some info as well

here's a messed up website that has at least a picture of some orbea stuff

http://republicanos.bravehost.com/orbea.html

and orbea as it stands today
http://www.orbea.com/Pages/Orbea.aspx
Last edited by trent on June 2nd, 2008, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.