Ruger Mini14

Use this section for all other firearms
ozarker

Ruger Mini14

Post by ozarker »

Question of this board and its experience. Right or wrong I think I have a void in the guns I own. After Katrina I've gone from practical to tactical.. I don't have anything that fires a 5.56mm. Being retired the AR15, etc. are a little expensive for me.

Found a Ruger Mini14 stainless with a Tapco stock. Also has the orginial stock and attachments. Plus two mags. Asking $585. Outside looks good. They have not cleaned the bore and assuming there is no pits, etc. Is the price in the ballpark or what. Thanks for any info you might have.

cg
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ruger Mini14

Post by garry »

That is a pretty good gun! I have seen two here in KC(MO and KS) and they were alot higher than that. one was $799 at the Bullet Hole in KCKS, and the one in Indep.,MO was over $600. They are heard to be really good "Weapons" for the Ranchers. From the experience I have with "Guest Shooting" a few different Rugers, They are really suprising in accuracy ! The Ruger .44 Carbine with peep sights gave me 3 REALLY BIG holes touching @ near 60yds. !! The sights are responsible for that! They are good ones! The model 77 in .243 was better, but really kicked me in the shoulder. Probably my fault? (maybe i wasn't expecting it to kick much after I had already been shooting the Mosin Nagant all day) anyone else ever shoot a 77 in .243?
the Ruger MarkII in .22 cal. had a red dot scope and was Very Accurate for a pistol! Ruger stuff is Good Stuff , I just can't afford any of it! Hope that helps get the ball rolling for you ! Happy Shooting , Garry
ozarker

Ruger Mini14

Post by ozarker »

I hunted for years with a 2.5pwr scope on my '06. I've since replaced the scope. At this stage of my life, the eyes aren't as good as they once were. If I focus on the target the sights are fuzzy. Focus on the sights the target is fuzzy. :-) With the Tapco stock it would be easy to mount the old 2.5. Thanks for you experience.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ruger Mini14

Post by carguy »

Have you thought about a Mini 30 (?) or SKS or even an AK? I suggest these as the price of ammo may or may not be a consideration and 7.62x39 is very inexpensive. And a decent SKS can be had for around $200. Any of these can be made to appear very tactical as in Evil Black Rifle looking as well as functioning.

I recently picked up a Kel-Tec SU16 for around $400 used...it is in .223. I love it, very tactical...sort of a poor man's AR. But .223 is not cheap...no ammo is today.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ruger Mini14

Post by papabear »

ozarker,

carguy brings up a good point about the Mini 30. SKS or even an AK, they would be cheaper and the ammo too. I really like the SKS that's somewhere in the $200 range around here too, you can also as carguy put it, "make it appear very tactical as in Evil Black Rifle looking as well as functioning." I have the older model mini 14 ranch with a 3x9x40 Tasco scope, its not a tack driver but then its not designed as a traget rifle either, but for me at 50 to 100 yards it will put down small game and varmints, I bought this one used with the scope for $400. The newer models I understand are much more accurate but the price is much more too for a new one, just my $0.02 worth.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ruger Mini14

Post by anjdrifter »

I dont know how evil looking this sks is but it sure is a neat one ,to me to fire and cheap to shoot..we have some other memebers here with some good looking converted sks s
this hold set up cost me under 200.00
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ruger Mini14

Post by garry »

There you have it ! The Rugers are generally out of price range for many shooters. ---once you shoot an SKS , it really grows on you quick . It is a FUN rifle to shoot and they are pretty accurate at the shorter ranges out to 200 yds. I have a scope on one of mine(chinese) and i ran out of ammo right as i got started sighting it in, so i am going today to get more ammo at Midway,USA in columbia,MO. and then stopping to sight in at Concordia,MO on the way back. The Ruger is probably MUCH more accurate ,But , the SKS's are alot of fun to blast away at stuff. I think Carguy has a good suggestion there! If you don't already own an SKS, then it would be a good idea to try one out . You may find it to be a great investment. The only people i have heard complain about the SKS, is people who don't own one. Good Luck, G
ozarker

Ruger Mini14

Post by ozarker »

Thanks guys for all of the help. I mean that. Appreciate it very much. I already have a SKS similair to anydrifter. My problem never saw a firearm I didn't think I should own. :-) As stated earlier after Katrina, just thought might be good to have something that would fire the 5.56mm. Then I'm covered on both calibers. Guess if SHTF I could just take one the old fashion way.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Ruger Mini14

Post by carguy »

Armed insurrection...I like it ;)