STAR .380?

Use this section for all other firearms
gypsydavy

STAR .380?

Post by gypsydavy »

I have seen the STAR pistol in 9mm quite often at gunshows but last week was tempted by a STAR .380 going for $230. Beautiful, slender little gun. Wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge of this piece?

gypsydavy
doyle

STAR .380?

Post by doyle »

Star pistols were known for seriously inconsistent quality control. You might get lucky and get one that shoots just fine. Then again, you are just as likely to get one with a part that breaks within the first box or two of shooting and you won't be able to find a replacement part.
gypsydavy

STAR .380?

Post by gypsydavy »

Thanks Doyle,
I suspected that, since they are rare and the price was cheap. My bro-in-law really wants a STAR 9mm. I don't know why, but I'm trying to talk him into a Czak.

That .380 sure was a sleek little number though! Of course, no matter what pistol I look at, I always end up happy that I did my research and bought the P-64!

gypsydavy
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

STAR .380?

Post by garry »

I have heard the opposite of what Doyle stated. I have heard only good stuff about them hahaha. sorry , I know that is NOT very helpful, but there are 2 sides to every story. I was looking at the Star Super and asked a similar question, and several members that own Star Pistols said, "Great little guns!" Doyle is correct that parts are not all that available in the US, BUT, if you look at Numrich, or other "Parts" shops , you might find what you need. I would not let Parts availability be a deciding factor tho when collecting older, used, firearms for "collecting" purposes. Shooting is another deal all together . Ask the gunstore folks to let you shoot it , and ask them to give it a good looking at for function/reliability, and then ask about a return policy. Just In Case. If you like the gun and have the money, read all you can about their product and decide for yourself. If YOU are happy, Nothing else matters. Such is gun collecting. Good Luck, G
Doyle: I certainly do not mean to trounce upon your opinion. I truly have heard just the opposite. That is what makes us ALL smarter about our gun purchases. Your Opinion, mine, and Others, all together is what makes this board an educated place to discuss firearms. There is alot of experience between you and others on this board and your post was VERY helpful. Thanks, G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

STAR .380?

Post by normsutton »

this guy has parts for stars

http://forums.gunboards.com/member.php?u=11386

he is on gun boards
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40
and I have two stars and love them both

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

STAR .380?

Post by carguy »

I picked up a Star BM 9mm (compact 3 inch barrel) that were built in 1985 a few months ago and love it, one of my carry pieces now. Yes parts are hard to come by if you need them but the STAR connection on gunboards that Norm mentioned got me a brand new (spare) firing pin/spring and a new mag as well. There are sources for "everything". I would have jumped all over that 380 if I were you, the price seemed right. Star was around for almost a hundred years and supplied many armed forces during WWI and WWII. Opinions are like pennies...there are lots around. I have been looking for a similar pistol but in .32 since I already have a Colt 1903 in .32 I'd rather not get yet another similar caliber...even though the .380 is alot more affordable. I've seen the .32s for around $300 but just can't seem to pull the trigger (no pun intended). The Llama is the brand I heard that has had issues over the years but as Grayfox (I think) or was it GunnyRabbit about his little .380...he is in love with it!!

You just never know...if it suits you then buy it... ;D
doyle

STAR .380?

Post by doyle »

I certainly did not mean to imply that all Stars were poorly built. I've seen some very good ones. I've also seen some that fell apart when shooting. I think that, like many manufacturers with long histories, quality varied as the company went through various phases of managment. I've heard from a few people that the later years of Star's corporate life were less than stellar. That being said, if I were to find a Star that looked good and the price was good, I'd probably buy it on the chance that I was getting a good deal on a hidden gem.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

STAR .380?

Post by papabear »

doyle,

I use to hear the same things about the Star pistols, and everyone has the right to believe what they want, I guess my question to you is, have you ever had one or shot one, I think if you did you might change your mind, I sure did. I have shot several different models of Star pistols and have yet to find a clunker, all have performed beautifully. I lived in the St. Louis area for nearly 30 years and a really nice guy I know from there collects Spanish pistols and he taught me a lot about the Star line of pistols and I must say they are really nice pistols. The all steel Star pistols made by Star Bonifacio Echeverria, S.A., located in the city of Eibar in the Basque region of Spain are solid pistols IMHO, and the one and only I have I really like and even keep it loaded in my home, and I have carried it from time to time, it is a bit heavy and I don't care to CCW with with, but as for dependability I am not ashamed of it and I consider it a smart looking pistol too. Just my $0.02 worth.

1986 Star BM 9mm Luger

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

STAR .380?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I own a Firearms International model D that is in like new condition, looks unfired and it has the CP prefix which was to mean Colt Pony from what I've read in the periodicals. I have have never fired it so I can not speak to its reliability. It is however one of the handsomest guns I think I have ever seen and I get great pleasure out of just handling it.
G.R. :)

P.S.
If it is a model DK for that price jump on it, even if it is just in good condition, they command huge prices on the internet auctions.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on May 6th, 2008, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

STAR .380?

Post by anjdrifter »

I can only speak for myself but I love my Star BM in 9 mm.
it is really better looking then old picture. Never had a bit of trouble with it plus I liked the grips from grip guys.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

STAR .380?

Post by garry »

GypsyDavy, Well there you Have it ! Sounds like some good info. Hope that helps . Here was another Star owner that just posted this today:http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1959
I am Glad that Doyle chimed in with that viewpoint. he is not the only one whom has heard "bad" stuff about Star pistols, But there are enough good reports to take a look at it ! If you can fire it and test it out first , you may buy it on the spot , from what i am reading outta this debate. Thanks to All whom added their opinions here! This is first class gun talk! G