My FEG AP's came in

Use this section for all other firearms
doyle

My FEG AP's came in

Post by doyle »

I had previously inquired about the $90 FEG AP's available from Centerfire and then told you that we got together an office order for 5. They came in.

They don't look like they have been shot much but they show significant holster wear markins on the anodized aluminum frames. That tells me they were probably used as police guns either in Europe or Asia where sidearms are carried but not shot much.

The bad news is that the innards are heavily coated in a brown oil. It is too liquid to be cosmoline (or any cosmoline I've ever seen). It smells kind of like cosmoline but has the consistency of heavy motor oil.

I'm thing a serious soaking is in order before doing anything else. I think I'll try either kerosine or mineral spirits first.
fritzhund

My FEG AP's came in

Post by fritzhund »

I would suggest using kerosene. The miniral spirits may do more damage to the finish. Or course, removing the finish on the frame may be an option as well. Do you have any photos?

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
protector

My FEG AP's came in

Post by protector »

doyle,do like I did-strip it to the skivvies and soak it a while,make sure to clean the mags good.I had a lot of the cosmo on the mag springs.
Aim small,hit small...
doyle

My FEG AP's came in

Post by doyle »

I can't imagine mineral spirits harming the finish. It's pretty bland stuff. I don't know if I'll be able to get any decent pics. My camera phone doesn't take the clearest pictures in the world.
weetabix

My FEG AP's came in

Post by weetabix »

Being a cheap fellow, it occurs to me to ask: what's the cheapest way to get kerosene or something chemically close under another name?
doyle

My FEG AP's came in

Post by doyle »

I used to see kerosine sold out of bulk tanks but I haven't seen one of those for years. I imagine you can still find it sold that way up north where kerosine is sometimes used as a heating fuel. Down here, the only way I've seen it sold is in 1 gallon containers at the hardware store.

If you have any access to commercial jet fuel, it is essentially kerosine.
Last edited by doyle on April 25th, 2008, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My FEG AP's came in

Post by normsutton »

LOWES sells kerosine you can also use diesel fuel same stuff

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

My FEG AP's came in

Post by carguy »

At the price of diesel fuel I'd use mineral spirits and let it soak for as long as you can wait!!
torpeau

My FEG AP's came in

Post by torpeau »

Fritzhund wrote:I would suggest using kerosene. The miniral spirits may do more damage to the finish.
FWIW, I soaked a P-64 (no grips) over night in mineral spirits to try to get rid if any gunk and it caused no problems. Didn't solve any either.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
barnett3006

My FEG AP's came in

Post by barnett3006 »

mineral spirits won't hurt the anodized finish, it also won't remove much grease/oil...its a paint thinner, not a cleaner. any petroleum distillate based ''stuff" like WD40, diesel, kerosene, etc will remove grease and oil without hurting the anodizing. Other chemicals like acetone, xylene, toluene (brake cleaners) will rapidly remove the grease also without hurting the anodizing.
doyle

My FEG AP's came in

Post by doyle »

I soaked them first in kerosine for several hours. That got the "gunk" off. Then I blew them off with compressed air and gave them a dunk in mineral spirits to get the residual kerosine oil off and blew them dry again. After lubing and putting them together, I put 3 rounds through each and they all shot ok. Two have really bad DA trigger pulls, one is nice and the other two are barely tolerable. Time to put in a spring order from Wolf.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

My FEG AP's came in

Post by trent »

not to derail this thread but (if someone has both) are the pa63 and feg ap magazines interchangeable (I know they are different calibers, but I thought I read that somewhere)
doyle

My FEG AP's came in

Post by doyle »

Trent, I don't believe they are. Since the frames are the same, you could probably put the 9mm mag in the AP and vice versa, but I don't think you could load 9x18 ammo into the 7.65 magazine. The .32 rounds go into the magazine pretty snugly so I can't see how the 9x18 would fit.
weetabix

My FEG AP's came in

Post by weetabix »

Not that anyone asked ( :o ), but I'm pretty sure you can use a PA-63 magazine in an SMC-918. The tops look exactly the same. The PA-63 is one round longer, though.
kilogulf59

My FEG AP's came in

Post by kilogulf59 »

Howdy,

Ken here and I am relatively new to the forum. If those FEG’s are the .32’s then my son and I were thinking of getting a couple. I have heard nothing but good things about FEG’s products.

BTW, don’t underestimate hot soapy water for cleaning gunk out of pistols. Take the grips off, hose ‘em down with something like WD40 to soften the goop. Then, using dish soap and as hot of water as you can stand…have at it. Acid and tooth brushes help, so do Q-tips.

Then rinse in hot water, blow then off and wipe. Now, just to make sure the innards are all dry, I put the pistol on an old towel on a cookie sheet and in a warm over for a few. I guarantee that it wont rust and you’ll never have a cleaner pistol plus it’s easy as pie. Obviously a lube is in order afterwards…

One warning though, I would stick to liquid dish soaps like Dawn, Palmolive, et al. Don’t use dishwasher machine soap or laundry soap!!!

I hope this helps some.

Please, let me know how the pistols work for you and which holsters fit these? Matt and I will probably order today….
Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

Integrated Close Combat Forum