Union 12ga double refinishing progress w/pics.

Use this section for all other firearms
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

So far I am VERY happy with the progress on my Union 12ga. side by side refinishing project! I am doing it at a deccelerated pace, but, I made quite a bit of progress over the weekend on it. It is ready for some super fine steel wool and de-greaser, then ready for blueing!!!
I have been filing and scrubbing on it for awhile but some of the age and pitting just can't be erased with the tools I have handy. It looked so bad before , that i felt a refinish was the ONLY thing that could be done to make it look nice. (it is very old)
A couple of before and After pictures here:
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

looking good!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

You grew your beard back didn't you :o found a use for that scruff...like steel wool isn't it?!?! :P

No wonder that metal shines like a ...I don't know Papabear where are you?? I need a silly quote here...shines like the flat rock that the cow just pissed on...nahhhh...HELP!

Looks real good G....can't wait to see the finished product. It appears you might be giving Norm a run for his title of "Refinishing KING"!! Great job!!
Last edited by carguy on April 22nd, 2008, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

Garry,

She is looking great so far. I can't wait to see the finished project. You've worked wonders on the metal of that old gun. Keep us posted on the progress. I love old double guns! ;D
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Garry
looks good

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Thanks Guys ! I doubt I can out-do Norm. YES, I Did indeed re-grow the beard! In fact, I can't remember the last time I shaved. Sometime around Christmas. I can post a pic and y'all can print one to put in the basement to keep the bugs away.
The sideplates have those deep scratches and i don't have the right tools to get a good flat, smooth, blemish-free surface, unless i try it with some of my narrower wheels. I need a nice wide grinder/buffer/polisher set-up so i don't have ridges or lines streaking thru it. Since I don't have the correct tools ,I am pretty much going to have to live with the deep scratches ...for now.
I have to get the break-open lever off still so I can finish it ,and put blueing underneath. I am not sure yet what i'll need to do or how to get it off. I am getting ready to dig in and give it a go. As soon as i can get my kids over to help carry my Table sander in from the shed, maybe I can use it for the side plates..
Norm, Have you ever tried engraving any of your guns? I think if i tried engraving on this Shotgun, I could hide most of these bad scratches. It is just a thought , but, This would be a perfect gun to try it out on.
Can anyone Help find a schematic drawing of the innards of a break-open double bbl. shotgun with sideplates? I need to see the lock-up mechanism drawings before I try to take it apart further. If I can get a couple drawings , I think I can adapt them to this gun and get an idea of whether it is under spring load. This gun was mostly all hand-made and the stock was chisled out to clear the action parts inside. It is really rough inside.
Thanks Again for your comments ,help, and sug's. G
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

it's wierd, I put that pic in my basement and it actually attracted bugs... :P
Last edited by trent on April 23rd, 2008, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Do you have any before shots?

I have an Occidental 12ga double that spent at least two decades in someones attic and looks like hell. The stock is bubbled and cracked and it will most likely be nothing more than a wall hanger. The metal is OK, one hammer is missing, and it is in pretty bad shape.

I might save it for a project one of these days, but it will probably just hang.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

Carguy, The quote you are looking for is: "Like a diamond in a goat's butt" Later Don
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Fritzhund, Yes , here are a couple of pics. It is a Union 12ga. double. hammer-less.
Thanks for any help! anything nearly built to this design will be helpful as far as learning the "theory" of these old-style guns. I just need to see how they did it on most guns back then, so i don't let some spring loose that i will need a specialized tool to replace .(like a kaiser-frazier valve spring compressor for the 1938 model only. )lol That is just a murphy's law thing there waiting to happen.
G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Trent, heeheehee
i think Mold is attracted to me,too.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G

you may find a shot gun similar too your's here

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

you take good pix's
take a pix as take it apart that way you well have a record how to put it back together

as for springs flying a big plastic bag you can see though

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

That stock is gorgeous, it'll really shine
Last edited by trent on April 24th, 2008, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Gary,

Excellent work my man, you have the touch, appreciate your work and sharing it with us. BTW, I like your beard, back in the early 70's after I came back from Nam I had one very similar to yours, we could have been twins....... ;D.

Carguy,

I'm a tad late getting to this thread, however, "dolang1" couldn't have said it better, "Like a diamond in a goat's butt", although we say "in a hog's a**".

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Norm ! I like that site alot ! I lost the link when i re-installed Windows a few months ago. THANK YOU ! Steve is a neat guy with a ton of good info and stories ! Great idea on taking pics to keep track ! You Da Man! G
Papabear, Thanks, and about the beard- I hate shaving ! hahaha I went out shooting in the sun last week and got sunburned and i can't wait to see how white my face will be after i shave this off ! heehehehe, I think raccoon eyes comes to mind ,or maybe "the Red Masked, Rednecked Goggle Boy"
Anyway you look at it , it ain't gonna be purty. G